• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skitty4gzus
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2014

First time building AR platform, need advice

Just as the title says I'm new to building AR's, and the 6.5 Grendel. I have a seekins forged lower receiver already and I've been researching and I just want to put out some feelers to see what advice I can get. I'm not lazy and I'm willing to read anything for information as well so if your advice is to go read xxxxxxxx publication or forum or whatever I will. Just looking for specific information here as I'm building a Grendel for this AR. I was thinking of purchasing a matching seekins forged or billet upper, I'm not sure what difference it will make to me. Next, I've read to spend the money on a barrel. So I would like opinions on barrels as well. What gas block, sight etc.... My plans for the gun are to be able to deer hunt in MI with it and whatever game I may choose. It would be nice to have something shoot out to 1000 yds, but the reality is I just need it to be accurate to 500 yds or so. My pockets aren't deep but I'm willing to save to purchase the right equipment to create the weapon system I desire. I can always take this gun down 5 years from now and upgrade the barrel or whatever I need to do down the road. Some of the information I'm really after is for instance the barrel. I would like it to be drop in ready for the SAAMI Grendel specs. I may end up reloading down the road but I would like to be able to purchase off the shelf ammo and be able to shoot and if I want I could reload that. Any help would be appreciated as I am need of a lot of it. Thanks
  • ThatRandomGuy
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2013

Hey there! I'm mainly a lurker, but I'll share what I've gleamed from these guys so far.

Forged vs billet probably won't make a difference, you could save a few ounces going forged but be a little stiffer to "better" support a longer barrel with billet. Seekins makes good stuff either way.

It sounds like you would do well with about an 18" barrel. I've seen good results in a variety of lengths, but if you're hunting you probably don't want to lug around a 20-24" barrel. I wouldn't anyway, but I am a smaller guy, so YMMV. 20" might be better for stretching out to 1k, 18 should definitely hold you for 500 though. Or take the Lilja compromise of 19". As for who it's from, Lilja has made a name for themselves here, probably the best for ordering direct. If that's not your flavor, or you prefer cut to button rifled, Performance Firearms can hook you up with Krieger, Barlein, and some others not listed on their site (calling is better anyway, IMO). Shilen also occasionally has some in stock on Midway, but they sell quickly. If you want a true SAAMI spec, do not get the AR-Stoner Grendel barrels on Midway. That said, while they are also not SAAMI spec, Black Hole Weaponry makes some nice .264 LBC barrels, which should both pair nicely with available SST and AMAX factory ammo and is cheaper than many alternatives while producing quality barrels.

SLR is producing really nice low profile adjustable gas blocks. But this tends to be an area many people have their personal preference, and if you're not reloading you could be perfectly fine with a non-adjustable. Just comes in handy IMO.

Comment

Welcome.

For the Seekins lower, it makes sense to get a Seekins upper. They're meant to work together, and the fit and finish is superb on them both.

Get the barrel length/profile that fits your height/weight/reach. For a deer hunting rig in pretty extreme cold temps, an 18"-20" is more than adequate.

There are dozens of threads on this type of thing. Gotta go teach another rifle class right now.

Comment

• Joseph5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

For a barrel I would recommend anything by Lilja. I just this week got my first AR build done and had a chance to shoot it. After break in, the first group fired was 0.47 inches for 5 shots. The load was the very first one I tried, 123 AMAX, 31 grains CFE 223, 2.245 OAL in Hornady brass with CCI 41 primers. Average velocity from a Lilja AR24 barrel was 2658 fps for 50 rounds, The largest 5 shot group 0.75 inches. I also shot a box of factory Hornady 123gr SST. I ended up shooting those plus 25 of the previous mentioned handloads into 1 big group that measured 0.75 vertical spread and 1.5 horizontal spread. The factory load averaged 2608 for the 20 rounds. I am not at published max for my hand loads and I am sure I can safely get to 2700 fps with the 123 SST. The one thing I found interesting was that my hand loads had smaller extreme spreads and lower standard deviations than the factory ammo. I will get pictures posted sometime soon hopefully. The other recomendation I would make is regardless of what barrel you get load up some CFE 223 for your barrel break in. Copper removing powder makes barrel break in easy. I shot 10 rounds cleaning in between each shot. I then fired 60 rounds and cleaned the barrel. No evidence of copper fouling at all. I also used Tetra gun lube products which I have used for the last 20 years and in my experience it does what it says.

Comment

• dmsims21
          Warrior
          • Nov 2012

Using CFE 223 for barrel break in is awesome. I did the same thing. Well actually, I forgot my cleaning stuff, so I just shot the first 50 rounds while I was at the range.
          It cleaned up at home with 7 patches and no copper fouling.
          A hand lapped barrel also helps.
          www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• skitty4gzus
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2014

great information. I appreciate it.

Comment

• skitty4gzus
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2014

If down the road I want to run a suppressed system do I need an adjustable gas block?

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

You may not necessarily "need" one. Plenty of folks run suppressed without an adjustable gas block (me included). Now--- that being said, it is much nicer to have one. Then you can dial things down to reduce filth in your receiver and wear and tear. You'll also get a lot less gas blown up your snoot that way.
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• skitty4gzus
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2014

Also, if anybody has any links or ideas where I could find free downloadable files for information on AR's in general. Kind of dictionary of the parts and what they're for. Also, a how to build an AR and if anybody has anything specifically on the Grendel that would be great. Here at work I can't use the internet and it would be nice if I had something I could print off and read throughout the day to get informed. Thanks

Comment

• Apparition
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by skitty4gzus View Post
                    Also, if anybody has any links or ideas where I could find free downloadable files for information on AR's in general. Kind of dictionary of the parts and what they're for. Also, a how to build an AR and if anybody has anything specifically on the Grendel that would be great. Here at work I can't use the internet and it would be nice if I had something I could print off and read throughout the day to get informed. Thanks
                    AR15.com has quite a bit of info on assembly and parts. There are stickies at the top of the Build it Yourself subforum under AR15.

Comment

If your type of hunting involves walking around, spend the extra money for the lightest weight barrel you can find. Go high-end for quality/accuracy, but also go light weight by getting fluting. I wish Daniel Defense offered their lightweight (pencil) AR barrel in 6.5 Grendel. I recently had a standard profile Grendel barrel turned down to a similar profile, but haven't had the chance to shoot it yet.

Comment

• Butterbean
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

These Brownells videos may also help you out. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/avs%7...arntabArticles
                        Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• Apparition
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2014

Larry Potterfield has some assembly videos at MidwayUSA also

Comment

• HOPSTER
                            Unwashed
                            • Aug 2014

Forged aluminum receivers are stronger due to the fact that they are forged, but the mil-spec dimensions are within a range of tolerance that sometimes ends up with loosely fitted parts. One would need to sit and try many different uppers to find one that is tight to the lower, a matter of trial and error.

Billet is not as strong as forged, but manufacturers can build them with tighter tolerances resulting in a precision fit of upper to lower.

If I was building a competition long range AR, I would choose a matched billet set.
                            For general use, I would choose forged, due mainly to lower cost.

And , like my DCM rifle, forged lowers and uppers can be tightened up just fine using epoxy bedding and shims, making them as "precise" as billet.
                            In your case, since you have a billet lower, I would get a billet upper.
                            There is no guarantee that they will mate up perfectly, but you have better odds of a tight fit, and might be able to send your lower to them and have them find a good match.

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HOPSTER View Post
                              Forged aluminum receivers are stronger due to the fact that they are forged, but the mil-spec dimensions are within a range of tolerance that sometimes ends up with loosely fitted parts. One would need to sit and try many different uppers to find one that is tight to the lower, a matter of trial and error.

Billet is not as strong as forged, but manufacturers can build them with tighter tolerances resulting in a precision fit of upper to lower.

If I was building a competition long range AR, I would choose a matched billet set.
                              For general use, I would choose forged, due mainly to lower cost.

And , like my DCM rifle, forged lowers and uppers can be tightened up just fine using epoxy bedding and shims, making them as "precise" as billet.
                              In your case, since you have a billet lower, I would get a billet upper.
                              There is no guarantee that they will mate up perfectly, but you have better odds of a tight fit, and might be able to send your lower to them and have them find a good match.
                              FWIW: A tight fit between your upper and lower won't actually affect your mechanical accuracy at all. It's been tested plenty in the past, even by the US AMU and Armalite. That being said--- Some folks seem to derive a psychological advantage by tightly fitting their upper and lower together. It can be achieved with things as cheap as simply placing a foam earplug under your rear lug. Not saying you can't bed or fit your upper, but it isn't really necessary either.
                              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
                              X