• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Macht
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2013

Build List - Suggestions?

I'm looking to build my first AR. I've done a fair amount of research and tried to put together a complete build list. If I've missed something or I'm just making a dumb pick on a component I'd like to know before I start buying things. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Upper:
    Precision Firearms Neptune II-B upper
    SilencerCo Saker Trifecta muzzle break

Lower:
    AXTS AX556 w/45 deg safety
    Geissele DMR trigger
    Larue A-PEG grip
    Magpul UBR stock
    JP silent captured buffer setup
    Precision Firearms LPK
  • ThatRandomGuy
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2013

Hey there, you've definitely picked some nice parts, but some q's:

Are you a lefty, and if not is there a particular reasoning behind the ambi lower? Also, any reason you chose that one over say the Mega, Rainier, San Tan Tactical, or Aero Precision ambi's? Just curious, it's nice, I just don't know about $200 more nice than the others.

What are you looking to use this for? While the UBR is quite nice, If this is a dedicated bench worker (or long range since you probably have a lot of space out there) you might take the PRS and longer barrel option from PF. Hunting/Carrying I like the feel (and weight savings) of the STR on the 16" but that's just me. However, many people have a UBR on carbines, so... Stocks along with the trigger (single vs double stage) if you haven't felt someone else's, try to. Lots of words on the internet don't compare to something in your hands or on your cheek.

Other than that, looks like a pretty awesome build.

Comment

Originally posted by Macht View Post
      I'm looking to build my first AR. I've done a fair amount of research and tried to put together a complete build list. If I've missed something or I'm just making a dumb pick on a component I'd like to know before I start buying things. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Upper:
      Precision Firearms Neptune II-B upper
      SilencerCo Saker Trifecta muzzle break

Lower:
      AXTS AX556 w/45 deg safety
      Geissele DMR trigger
      Larue A-PEG grip
      Magpul UBR stock
      JP silent captured buffer setup
      Precision Firearms LPK
      This is always a tough question. Buy the parts you want and that fit your budget/wants (needs are distant third! Ha.) then I would say you are good to go! With so many vendors for parts for the AR platform it is difficult to choose, however, everyone has their favorite parts and some may even argue to a point that, "this is better than that." The modularity of the platform lets you customize afterwards as you run the gun for whatever purpose you built it for. This may be the single most important choice as performance may dictate parts more suited to the intended purpose. The same can be said for optics choices as well. Put your money in your barrel if you want to make tiny holes from far away or if you are a "volume shooter" get something more durable. I, personally, find it hard to build one rifle that will do it all without some compromises. There are just so many choices. Satisfy yourself before anyone else and I think you will be most satisfied. Good luck with the build

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

I don't see how you could go wrong with those choices.

I will say you don't need a brake for a Grendel, unless you're trying to piss off the guys next to you at the range. haha
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Macht
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2013

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, it's not so much the full ambi control set I want as the nifty bolt lockback feature and the integrated right side bolt release. My first "black rifle" was an ACR and the AX556 is the lower that comes closest to providing a similar control scheme. I'll give those others a look though. The gun will see some range time but it will also be used for hunting where a fair bit of walking is involved, hence the lightweight upper. I have the UBR on my ACR, using an adapter plate and I really like the feel of it even with the weight. As far as the trigger goes, I've a big fan of both Geissele and 2-stage triggers, I have their SuperACR trigger in my ACR. I might change the Trifecta brake for the Trifecta flash hider, we'll see. It's mostly there as a QD mount for the Saker 7.62 I'm planning on hanging on the end of this thing eventually so it'll kinda be a moot point.

Comment

Working...
          X