264 LBC Work in Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 264 LBC Work in Progress

This is a 264 LBC I built up with a Black Hole 1:8 24" 3 Poly barrel. It's setting on a lower I put together. Nothing special on the internals except a fitted a Geissele on it after the photo shoot.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to use on a steady diet but I knew I wanted a light varmint bullet at my disposal. I shot some intial test stuff and came on to a pair that looked OK. I think it shows promise if I can get it together. Not overly fast but the PD's don't care.

The orginal purpose on this rifle was to do some F-Class shooting at 500 and 1000. I got a good deal on some Nosler 123 CC's so figured they would do for a baseline bullet check. I was using a decent CFE load and working on the seating depth. The ones that were a tad shorter gave me acceptable performance. It was only 90 that day so I need to reshoot it at 110 and at 60. The number crunching says I should be OK in chasing the dragon with this one.

I wil be working more with it in the future.

Greg
  • KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

I was surprised CFE223 worked so well with pills so small! Thanks very much for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
      I was surprised CFE223 worked so well with pills so small! Thanks very much for the info.
      I figured I had a few pounds and what's an ounce or two down the tube. The funny thing is I used four of the light load to get the scope on and these ten shots were the first rounds down that barrel. When load development goes that fast it is kind of anti-climactic.

Greg
      Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2014, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
        Warrior
        • Dec 2013

Nice!

Comment

• usmc1371
          Warrior
          • Aug 2011

Man I can't wait until my 18 " BHW barrel gets here. I need some trigger time.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Greg,

I have to credit BHW with some very well made barrels which really deliver the goods. Here are a couple of 5 shot groups my two BHW's turned in @ 100, yesterday. After a few more rounds have gone down the 5.56, I suspect it will settle down some more (it has just over 150 rounds through it). I suspect I was "chasing the hole", though. It was a POI = POA zero, unlike the 264's group.

BHW 5.56.jpg
            BHW 5.56 22" Bull
            Nos 55gr BTV
            24.0 gr H322
            Primer: 7 1/2
            COAL: 2.260"
            MV: 3130
            0.401"

BHW 264LBC.jpg
            BHW 264LBC 22" Match Bull
            Hdy 123gr AMax
            28.0 gr IMR8208XBR
            Primer: 450
            COAL: 2.260"
            MV: 2615
            0.174"
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Very impressive. You're certainly doing your part doing the steering.

Greg

Comment

• Butterbean
                Warrior
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by GLShooter View Post
                Very impressive. You're certainly doing your part doing the steering.
                Yeah. That's some good driving. Very nice work.
                Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Thanks, Greg, Butter.

That's some darn good shooting, yourself, Greg.

I neglected to mention that those groups were shot with the same lower and scope. The scope, a Vortex 6-24x50 PST, is mounted on an ADM Recon QD mount. Both groups were shot after swapping uppers out and remounting the scope. Between the two uppers, there was a .1 mil elevation change and .5 mil windage shift. When the "home configuration" was reassembled (264 LBC, Vortex and lower), it delivered the group seen above with no sighters. Now if I can just find the cure for my perpetual case of "tinker-itis" and leave the setup alone until September, I will have a decent chance of doing ok with the DM portion of the course.

Here's a pic of the setup with the BHW 5.56 upper mounted.
                  BHW 5.56 Setup.jpg
                  I never did use the rear bag, so I'm pretty pleased about that.

ETA: time for me to stop 'jacking Greg's thread and shut up, now.
                  Last edited by NugginFutz; 08-19-2014, 03:22 AM. Reason: Time to STHU
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Cure for tinkerits of that type is a check book.

Don't worry about jacking the thread. It's all good. Everyone is here to have fun and maybe learn some stuff. Post away.

Greg

Comment

• GLShooter
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2014

Just a heads up. I'll be shooting this one more in the AR and a new bolt gun in the next few weeks. Preliminary shooting has already shown the Savage to be a real hummer.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                      X