What handguard for Mega billet upper receiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonehill
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2013

What handguard for Mega billet upper receiver?

Anybody got any good suggestions as far as handguards on a Mega billet upper receiver? I'd like to find one that matches up well with the thicker billet receiver and is for sure compatible. I've seen a lot of guys running Samson evolution but not crazy about the mounting setup. What others would be a good option. I'd like to not spend over $200 if possible. Don't really need a full length quadrail. I like having a continuous top rail that is truly seamless. Running a DD MFR on .223, really like it but expensive. Leaning toward the Parallax Tactical FFSSR, it's like a quadrail only with a cutout smooth center section. I've got a Shilen barrel coming, RLGS. Debating on an extended length to cover the gb. Any thoughts/suggestions/pics as far as strength/value/compatibility?
  • Lonehill
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2013

Got my Shilen barrel in. I want to go with an extended length handguard to cover the gas block. The barrel is Hbar contour and consequently, the gas block area is about twice as long as usual which is fine, but it's got a different finish than the rest of the barrel so I want to cover that up. What's a good solid, lightweight, extended handguard? It needs to have a good barrel nut for a solid setup. Mostly gonna shoot off bipod so I don't want a lot of flex. Is there any such thing as a 15" vented aluminum handguard like Bushmaster uses? Got one on my Remington R-15 standard rifle length though.
    Last edited by Lonehill; 08-19-2014, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• usmc1371
      Warrior
      • Aug 2011

Try ati. I bought one for $179. I can put rails in 8 different positions. The extended version covers up the gb .

Comment

• Apparition
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

I've used midwest industries on my megas and got great deals on them from both Brownells and Midway with coupon codes.

Comment

• livelyxp100
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2011

Battle Tested Equipment makes a nice 15" vented handguard and there about a 100.00

Comment

• dmsims21
            Warrior
            • Nov 2012

Check out Nordic Components. Extended lengths are less than $100 on Midway.
            They have a bunch of tapped holes for sling studs and rails.
            www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• ThatRandomGuy
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2013

The Troy VTAC rail is a very good match on my Mega side charger, but the tab has to be filed down.

Comment

• Whiteghost2.5
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2012

I have the YHM Todd Jarrett handguard on mine.

Comment

• Lonehill
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2013

So I got ahold of a Samson Evolution keymod 15" because the price was too cheap to pass up. Wasn't sold on the design originally, thinking that it was a flimsy way of attaching the tube to the barrel nut via the thermal bushings. It just seemed that this is too many extra pieces for movement to occur. The directions weren't the greatest, no torque specs. Just said tighten until the tabs close together. Had to dremel/file/fit the anti rotation tabs to fit onto the billet receiver. Not too hard, just tedious. Finally got it installed and went to sight in on bipod. The handguard slipped forward during recoil after only 4 shots. I had used blue/ med locktite and it had time to dry. Next used red locktite and let sit overnight, tightened the tabs a little more to the point just shy of breaking them off. Overall, not really all that satisfied with the product. I believe that there are way better designs out there, but it'll work. Just if you go with one, make sure you locktite the hell out of it. Not one to go with if you plan on taking it on and off if the need arises.

Comment

Working...
                  X