• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Coyote and Unexpected Bonus Hog Hunt with my 6.5 Grendel

Was hoping for hogs at a buddy's place (TBR), but ended up with a nice coyote kill...

While leaving, I received an email from one of my game cameras that my place had a hog. It was on my way home and this is what resulted...

Here is a little graphic showing the shots and where the hog eventually crashed.
    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 08-17-2014, 02:23 AM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

Very nice, another fine video. Way to go!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• usmc1371
      Warrior
      • Aug 2011

Nice shooting. Loved the thermal videos.

Comment

• rebelsoul
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

Awesome shooting! I like the way your video lets us "monday morning quarterback" your shots. It's difficult to teach others how to take running shots. We can see your lead and follow through, and how you adjusted. Please, please keep sharing your videos.
        "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• jawbone
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

these videos are valuable re-energizers for "off-season" guys like myself. a little bit of me was looking through that optic with you when you squeezed those rounds off, and I thank you for the sharing. and it's thermals. what's not to like.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

rebelsoul, feel free to MMQB. I am still learning.

jawbone, the one thing NOT to like about thermal is that it gives a much more pronounced version of 2D than looking through regular NV and regular NV is worse than looking through a day scope. It can be hard, for example, to tell when an animal is quartered away from you, or quartered toward you. That can affect shot placement considerations quite a bit. Sometimes, I have to actually see the hog moving in a given direction before I am certain of how it is oriented.

NV has certain advantages and thermal has certain advantages, but by and large for hunting hogs, thermal is really COOL!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

It's difficult to teach others how to take running shots. We can see your lead and follow through, and how you adjusted. Please, please keep sharing your videos.
              There are a couple of vids on Youtube that talk about lead on running critters. These are good, generalized vids, but over-simplified. Maybe that is good since most folks won't know all the relevant variables at the times they are pulling the trigger to hit all that precisely. For example, I could not have told you at the time just how far away the pig was as it was running past me in the video, how fast it was going or how fast my bullet would travel that distance...and how far the pig would be traveling while the bullet was in flight (to determine lead). Going back and using Google Earth path measuring (in "Ruler") to get my distances that the pig traveled and distances from me, then using the video's timer in Movie Maker, I was able to determine that the hog traveled about 38 yards in 5 seconds, or about 23 feet per second, only about 15.6 mph.

My second shot at the hog was at about 70 yards when it was passing behind the tree. Given the velocity of the Grendel 123 Hornady SST out of my gun, it would have taken about .09 seconds. In that time, the hog would have traveled just over 2 feet. Based on the images, the shot should have hit him in the ham, but apparently the shot hit the tree. No ham wound was found. The third shot was at about 80 yards and it would have taken the bullet just about 0.1 seconds to arrive and the hog would have traveled about 2.3 feet in the time. That the shot was several inches in front of the hog's nose resulted in the impact in the shoulder that broke his leg. The fourth shot was just too late.

So the 2nd and third shots could have hit the hog at that speed using the lead method. However, had the hog been going faster (and they can go much faster), then the 2nd shot could easily have missed behind the hog (even if it didn't hit the tree) and the 3rd shot could have been way back toward the lower gut or ham.

It is fun to play with the calculations, but you never know what you are going to get when you are in the field.

Comment

• rebelsoul
                Warrior
                • Jan 2014

I haven't had to solve any differential equations in over 20 years, but thanks for the tutorial. I'm more of a instinctive shooter and very quick on the draw. Each time I site in my rifle, I practice several free hand shots. I try to aim and fire as quickly as posible. I am not very steady, so I sweep stationary targets diagonally left to right, snapping the trigger as I cross the mark. That's what I would have done while you where setting your sticks. Try holding a lazer on a target, when I try it dances all over the target. The running shots are my favorite because I don't have time to over think the shot. Your lead on the 80yd. hog(on the nose) is the same lead I take on a whitetail at 100yds. What's really impressive to me is that you do it in the dark. Are you vampire or wolfman?
                "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

No, not vampire or wolfman. Insomniac. :-)

Doing it in the dark isn't really that big of a deal with NV or thermal. I could have done the same thing with my Pulsar N750 in regard to the shooting. Navigation in the dark is a whole other matter. I don't wear the who PVS14 headgear thing. I use a FLIR thermal spotter (PS32) for basic spotting and navigating, but for navigating, a PVS14 would be better. As it was so dark on the night of my hunt (moon not up yet, or blocked by clouds), I should have gotten closer, but the winds were swirling out of the woods and I was concerned that might be a problem. It all worked out.

Comment

• rebelsoul
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2014

I need both eyes to find my target, impressive how you find a running target without the 3D image of both eyes. I have an offset BUIS that helps me get on the fast movers. It's a cool tool for me, not very useful for a "Night Stalker".

Comment

Working...
                    X