MI SSK Keymod 12" (or 10.5") with SLR Stainless Sentry 7 Clamp On question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendanimal
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2014

MI SSK Keymod 12" (or 10.5") with SLR Stainless Sentry 7 Clamp On question...

Does anyone out there have the above setup (either length)? I am concerned (and so is Midwest Industries and SLR) that the head of the screws on that clamp on block will protrude enough to require grinding (head of screws) in order to clear the hand guard. I haven't purchased the hand guard yet, and don't really want to use a set screw block for this build if possible. It will be on an 18" Lilja 319 .750 at block Thanks in advance.
    I have a carbon fiber tube on another build that I like, but am not happy with some movement on the bipod stud adapter.
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

I dont see why they cant just measure the inside Diameter of the SSK for you. The OD is 1.5 and the SLR is 1.4...
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Grendanimal
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
      I dont see why they cant just measure the inside Diameter of the SSK for you. The OD is 1.5 and the SLR is 1.4...
      I already know the diameters, and the MI inside diameter is 1.3 inside. The up/down clearance doesn't seem to be a problem. MI has great support and so does SLR, so it was no problem getting the data. It is more of a function of where the 2 screws are located rather than just a plain diameter measurement issue. I ordered the hand guard and will find out by myself either way. Just wondering if anyone has done it yet with these two components.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

IMG_0724.jpgIMG_0732.jpg

I used the SLR clamp on gas block with the MI keymod 15" hand guard with this rifle. It was a close fit but the screws did not touch the inside of my hand guard. This is a very accurate rifle and I have had no issues with this gas block and hand guard combination.
        Make sure you put green loctite on the outside of your barrel nut when mounting this hand guard or it may walk forward during recoil and don't over tighten the hand guard nuts or you may break the rear nubs that fit in the barrel nut.
        Last edited by montana; 08-18-2014, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• Grendanimal
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by montana View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]5479[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5480[/ATTACH]

I used the SLR clamp on gas block with the MI keymod 15" hand guard with this rifle. It was a close fit but the screws did not touch the inside of my hand guard. This is a very accurate rifle and I have had no issues with this gas block and hand guard combination.
          Make sure you put green loctite on the outside of your barrel nut when mounting this hand guard or it may walk forward during recoil and don't over tighten the hand guard nuts or you may break the rear nubs that fit in the barrel nut.
          Thanks a bunch! I'll let you know how this goes. MI indicated that it may depend on where the gas block is in the hand guard (holes in the hand guard being over the screw heads) depending on length of gas system/hand guard length. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Comment

• Grendanimal
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2014

I went with the MI SSK Keymod 10.5". The clearance between the hand guard and the bottom edge of the SLR Sentry 7 clamp-on screws is .007". I filed them down so I have a clearance of .011". If that isn't enough after I check to see if there is hand guard movement from using a bipod, I'll buy the set screw type. I hope that helps someone else. I'll let both companies know, as they were curious too.

Comment

Working...
            X