• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Another Grendel/Zeus Boar Down Video

Hunted TBR again outside of Montague, Texas. Not much happened except for watching deer. Packed up and headed out and came across another hog at the last feeder on the other side of the dam that I walk by each direction when I hunt TBR.

I got set up on the Primos tripod Trigger Sticks as a monopod and realized I had too much adrenaline and had to reset with the legs splayed. It really helped with steadying the shot. In all, I waited for about 3 minutes for the hog to raise its head up to where I could get a shot, but it kept its head down, snarfing up all the corn.

As it was quite breezy and the winds tend to swirl where I was, I went ahead and took the shot over the crest/edge of the dam, dropping the boar in place, DRT.

The shot entered and exited a bit high behind the shoulders, apparently clipping lung(s) and anchoring the boar in place.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Another great shot and hunting video, thanks again for sharing

Comment

• 81police
      Warrior
      • Feb 2013

I'd love one of those Zeus sights. Do you ever use that sight in the daytime? Do you do much hog hunting in the daytime?

Thanks for filming/posting!
      John 11:25-26

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Thanks, and good morning!

In the summer, thermal during the daytime is going to be a bit problematic because ambient heat and the temperature of animals starts to overlap quite a bit. Areas of the ground, especially exposed soil or rock gets superheated (from the perspective of the thermal scope) and can create inadvertent thermal camo for animals. Better scopes like the Zeus (but not my little FLIR PS32 spotter) distinguish between more subtle temperature variations and so are not as limited, but in the summer time heat here in Texas, there can be some challenges. In the heat, for example, trees can look like a solid mass with all the leaves basically the same temperature, but as things cool just a bit, the leaves cool first and provide some contrast to the limbs and trunks beneath, seen through the gaps in the leaves. The more two things are different in temperature, the more easily they are to discern from one another.

In the winter time, the problem isn't nearly so bad. In fact, I would say it is negligible. Actually, winter and rain will make a lot of the vegetation cool to similar temperatures and you will lose detail, but warm-blooded animals such as hogs stick out quite a bit (less so when wet).

I will see if I can get some daylight video on my next successful hunt of critters and include it.

Oh, and I would hunt more in the day time if I had hogs in the day time.
        Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 08-21-2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Slappy
          Warrior
          • Feb 2014

One of the best Curly shuffles I have seen in awhile. Thanks for posting your removal of the swine!! Good on ya!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• usmc1371
            Warrior
            • Aug 2011

Looks like another great evening.

Comment

Awesome hunt again. Your vids are great to watch, and I can hear your thoughts almost on shot placement, decisions...decisions, bang!

Comment

• rebelsoul
                Warrior
                • Jan 2014

Thanks again. Your videos will make a good teaching tool on how to engage a target. No time for second guessing, the target might leave.
                "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Thanks guys! I continue to learn with every hunt and continue to make mistakes with every hunt, but I try not to make the same mistakes over and over again. If y'all find value in what I present, then I am flattered.

Comment

Working...
                  X