• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Side Chargers

I'm thinking of getting a side charger for my target build. I have Vltor MUR right now, but the barrel extension doesn't sit flush on it and there is some wiggle between the barrel extension OD and Upper ID when it is slipped on.

If I'm building a target gun I want this interface to be as good as I can get. I'll end up lapping the upper face of the Vltor for another build later on. So it will get used.

So I got to looking around. Came across I haven't seen before. Let me know what you think and what you have.

Gibbz

New Frontier Arms (looks almost identical Gibbz)
    New Frontier Armory is Las Vegas, Nevada's premier gun store. We are Veteran owned and operated, specializing in manufacturing of AR's

What is neat about these, it is non-reciprocating charge handle and says it works with mil-spec BCG's by putting in their cam pin. I'm not sure of the mechanics of this, but it seems like a win win.

Part of my reluctance in going this route has been the need for special carriers.

I've seen the LAR's and ASA. I really like the ASA's as well.
    I think I prefer a left hand charger.

Thoughts?
  • arnie
    Warrior
    • Nov 2013

Comment

• Keep The Change
      Warrior
      • Mar 2013

The crosshill uppers look really nice and I like that they are 7075-T6.
      The downside to most side chargers is the special carriers for the upper and the possibility of the charge knob falling out.
      That is why the Gibbz is appealing. Uses standard carrier and a non reciprocating knob.

Comment

• Keep The Change
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

rwh,
        thank you for the input. I could see how the LH charging could be awkward in that config. Is it anymore awkward than a standard charging handle in the same sling config?

Mine will be a target gun. I was thinking the LH charging would be better when behind the gun or even have the option of hand feeding rounds if desired.
        Thanks man, and welcome to the forum.

Comment

• kg4kpg
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2013

Here's a nice set from a guy here in Charleston. I'm planning to use these for my next Grendel build. His shop and site is called Working Mans Armory.
          If you are an Iraq or Afghanistan veteran please visit this site, you've earned it.
          http://www.outwardbound.org/course-f...ran-adventures

Comment

• Keep The Change
            Warrior
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by kg4kpg View Post
            Here's a nice set from a guy here in Charleston. I'm planning to use these for my next Grendel build. His shop and site is called Working Mans Armory.
            http://shop.workingmansarmory.com/Pr...%2DSCU%2DCOMBO
            That is a very nice looking pair. I'm trying to figure out if a standard carrier can be used, similar to the Gibbz. It seems like you might have to buy the set as I don't see how to buy just the upper. Of course I don't know how it would like on my Seekins forged lower. I like the design of both the upper and lower, very cool looking and beefy.

Here I am looking for a stripped upper and I might end up buying a complete set. Durn you kg4kpg.

Comment

• Keep The Change
              Warrior
              • Mar 2013

OK, I'm looking at the Gibbz and the WMA uppers. They look similar and they both just need a custom cam pin for the standard carrier to work. The WMA is bit cheaper.
              I'll continue researching but thanks for the heads up kg4kpg.

Comment

Working...
              X