Nosler Accubond Long Range article in American Rifleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nosler Accubond Long Range article in American Rifleman

Closing the distance for an ideal shot isn’t always feasible due to terrain features. It was for such long ranges that Nosler ABLR bullets were created.

Nosler’s AccuBond Long Range bullets work both at short and long ranges. Their ability to expand in a controlled manner across a wide range of velocities makes them a true all-around big-game choice for common shots up-close and for those once-in-awhile shots when we cannot stalk closer.
    The author tried 4 different models in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, .270 Winchester, 7mm Rem. Mag., and .300 Win Mag.

• Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Good catch!

This could be sweet if they seat at a decent length.

AccuBond Long Range bullets were developed in response to the escalating demand from long-range hunters who were asking for a hunting bullet that could keep up with today’s level of high-grade optics and ultra-high velocity cartridges in order to stretch practical shooting yardages past 1,000 yards.

Now I'm just wondering how far out they'll go. Someone needs to get some and try them asap.
    Last edited by Variable; 08-24-2014, 12:37 AM.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Heh heh, if you could spank that bullet up to 2200fps from a 12.5" barrel (I have no idea if that's possible), it'd still expand to out around 725 yards...

I'm normally too lazy to handload, but if this bullet plays well in the Grendel, I could be motivated.LOL

Comment

• jluck
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

I have to go to Nosler on Friday, I'll see if they have any. I thought 129 ' are too long to allow enough powder to propel them effectively in a AR especially with the longer sleeker profile of the LRAB's.

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

PF offers loaded Grendel ammo with the 129gr ABLR:

Custom AR-15 Rifles, Custom Uppers, Custom Lower, 6.5 Grendel, AR15, AR 15, AR-15, AR15 upper, custom upper, Lilja, DPMS, Precision, Precision Firearms, Precision-firearms, percision firearms, custom upper, custom ar, custom ar15, barrels, rifle barrels, Shilen, CAA, Command Arms, Yankee Hill, Yankee Hill Machine, 204 ruger, .204 ruger, 223 wyld
          Last edited by Drifter; 08-24-2014, 03:45 AM.
          Drifter

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
            PF offers loaded Grendel ammo with the 129gr ABLR:

https://secure.wf-api.com/www.precis...ong-range.html
            2400fps out of a 24" barrel.

It'd be tough, but just maybe it'd squeak 2200fps in a 12.5"?

If you could get 2100fps out of a 10.5" barrel, then that should expand out to 650yards. Incredible.....

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

Stokesrj, in another thread, was talking about how difficult the bullet was to load and to get to shoot well. I think he was saying they were real picky on jump to lands.

That being said, I've had some on back order with midsouthshootersupply.
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Just to tease this, I made some 120 ABLR , for kb 280 to try, still here -soon to ship out to him , pics tomorrow?

Bugger of a pill to dial in, as for a wt. reduction. Frontal was way too old school, somewhere in between that unit , & the 123 sst- would b about decent for the Grr app.

Yet I think kb, can find an accuracy spot with these.

More later,,, Lots more,,,
                Last edited by sneaky one; 08-26-2014, 03:51 AM.

Comment

I have ten of them loaded with CFE 223 and XBR. I am going to try and shoot early Saturday morning, had a death in the family and it has been 100+ here. I have a long range shoot on the 6th, need to get the gun dialed in with the A-max or SST, whichever shoots the best. I will let you know how the ABLR's shoot. A friend shot some in his 20" with Lever and they shot great. I believe it was a Shilen and he used 30.8 grains at 2.26". His best group was .370" and they averaged 2475 fps.

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by k280 View Post
                    I have ten of them loaded with CFE 223 and XBR. I am going to try and shoot early Saturday morning, had a death in the family and it has been 100+ here. I have a long range shoot on the 6th, need to get the gun dialed in with the A-max or SST, whichever shoots the best. I will let you know how the ABLR's shoot. A friend shot some in his 20" with Lever and they shot great. I believe it was a Shilen and he used 30.8 grains at 2.26". His best group was .370" and they averaged 2475 fps.
                    Sorry for your loss.

ABLR: Cool, I'll be watching for any more results that you can report.

2.260" doesn't sound too bad. And the rest of the results sound pretty good to me too.

Thanks for sharing.
                    Last edited by Variable; 08-26-2014, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

So has anybody ever found this stuff in stock anywhere? Anyone loaded and actually fired some for Grendel data???

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

The only ones I have seen is one little sample pack and it was already spoken for. Announced 2 years ago and still looking for some of the unicorn bullet to try. I have seen the 270 and 7mm but no 6.5s yet. Factory blems 7mm and 30cal are available at the link below.

Applied Ballistics did some BC testing with them and ones that tested as closest to advertised BC were the 6.5s.

Comment

• mnhntr
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2014

Did they shoot these out of a Remington 770? What is with the almost 2moa? Not what I would want my advertising to show if I was Nosler.

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by mnhntr View Post
                            Did they shoot these out of a Remington 770? What is with the almost 2moa? Not what I would want my advertising to show if I was Nosler.
                            Where are you seeing 2moa?
                            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• kmon
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2015

I see in the OP group size of 1.88 as the largest and 1.86 for the Remington 700 which isn't bad for a 700 that hasn't had workdone to it.

In the Applied Ballistics table I posted there are no group sizes included, bullet stability aka. gyroscopic stability factor (SG)and Ballistic coefficient advertised and calculated

Comment

Working...
                              X