120 ballistic tip load?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 ballistic tip load?

Any good loads with AR-comp or CFE for the nosler 120's.
    Can data for hornady 123's be used.

Pretty much, yes. There are a ton of loads for the 120gr NBT in the handbooks. I thought you had them already.

Comment

Going to shoot the 120 ballistic tips loaded to 2.30 in ASC mags in my .264 with AR-comp tomorrow.
      Will load to 2.40 in CPD mags for Grendel.
      Hope they shoot as good as the 123 hornadys.
      They go sub MOA consistently with 28 grains AR-comp.
      Will work up a load with CFE when cold weather arrives.
      Think it will give higher velocity.
      I should get the handbook someday.
      Which volume has the most reloading data.
      Accuracy has been very good in both with 85,95, and 123 grain bullets.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2014, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Check for max COL in your chamber with those 120 BT's. They usually need to be seated shorter than the 123 Amax to stay safely off the lands.

Otherwise, the same recipe from your 123 loads will likely work okay.
        Last edited by Drifter; 08-25-2014, 01:57 AM.
        Drifter

Comment

My BHW 264LBC barrel will allow the 120 BTs to go to 2.320 to hit the lands.
          My Grendel barrel goes to 2.250 to hit the lands.

Comment

Originally posted by 45r View Post
            My BHW 264LBC barrel will allow the 120 BTs to go to 2.320 to hit the lands.
            My Grendel barrel goes to 2.250 to hit the lands.
            That's a really long throat. .264 LBC doesn't have that much freebore normally.

Comment

Got very good results with the ballistic tips in my BHW 16 inch LTM barreled 264LBC.
              28.2 grains AR-comp loaded to 2.304 using CCI 450's went 2440 average with ES of 14 fps and groups around 2/3 inch.
              The last 3 shots of the day went .312 inch dead center over the POA.
              I'm going to use this load in the 264LBC,it was consistently under 3/4 in at 100.
              I shot my favorite 123 A-max load using 28 grains AR-comp with rem 7 1/2 primers seated to 2.295 and they went in the .6's and .7's at 2480 fps average with an ES of 22 fps and just a little bit higher but dead center also.
              I like how both bullets with the same power shoot so well.
              It was hot and muggy and a thunderstorm came in and dumped a lot of rain so I didn't get a chance to try them in the Grendel but I think they'll do just as well since it shoots the A-maxs half MOA at 2525 fps with it's 18 inch barrel and short throat.
              I think both will be good to 400 yards come deer season.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Something must be weird, the bullet changed, or I'm misunderstanding something.

My favorite handload (and the only one I usually bother to load) is:

Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip
                Lapua Brass (AA headstamp)
                Seated to 2.267" col
                31.7gr. Win 748
                CCI 450 primer

It runs and shoots great in all three of my Grendels (all real Grendel chamber), and I've killed deer with them all too.

To make sure I wasn't misremembering, I found this old pic from my original load testing. I was seating 2.265" back then, but later eased them out to 2.267". They feed and fire just fine in my guns, and unfired rounds look okay on extraction?

Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

My 264LBC has a throat that when using 120 ballistic tips they touch the lands at 2.320,when they're seated to 2.304 they are 16 thou off the lands and they barely fit inside my ASC mags.
                  My Grendel barrel touches the lands at 2.250 with 120 ballistic tips and 2.265 with 123 A-maxs.
                  I have to make sure I don't mix the 2 up.
                  That's why I wanted to try the 120 ballistic tips in the 264LBC first.
                  I can shoot brown tip in the 264LBC and red tip in the Grendel.
                  The 264LBC shoots most anything but the Grendel has to have the COL down lower to not jam the bullets.
                  I load the Grendel with bullets seated snug into the lands like a benchrest rifle and it shoots as good or better.
                  The Grendel shoots a bughole with the first 3 shots often.
                  I'm amazed sometimes how accurate both can shoot.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2014, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Maybe I was jamming them in to the lands the whole time? I dunno. I'll have to check.

Glad to hear they shoot well in yours. I've always loved the 120BTs. They are a vey accurate bullet, and kill well at Grendel velocities.

Comment

• Dogue
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

120 NBT's hit the lands at 2.252 (basically the same as 45r's results) in my Grendel chamber...you might want to test that out Variable.
                      Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Ok, I just checked.

I pulled out a mag of my reloads and the longest round came out at 2.269" oal. They are mostly shorter, but they vary a bit.

I then put that round on top and let it fly like normal. Chambered just fine. It came out a bit sticky, but otherwise okay.

It does have some marks on it. I've never had any issues and the brass has always looked fine FWIW.

I've shot those same loads in all three of my guns without any problems at all. That recipe shoots extremely well in my 19.5" barrel. I've also posted that same data up many times going clear back to the old board days, and no one ever brought up the length thing before.

I dunno? It's worked for me.

Last edited by Variable; 08-26-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Might be good to seat them down 10 thou and see if it doesn't make those marks on the bullet.
                          Probably still shoot just as accurate and lower pressure a little.

Comment

Working...
                          X