Anyone else getting fed up with grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wheelguner
    Warrior
    • Oct 2011

Yall are making me HUNGRY!!!

"You power gumbo on white rice, why not pour it on rice with Andouille sausage & chicken in it.
    You should trade mark it."

Comment

I'm getting fed up with Grendel, I have to admit. It's been taking over my arsenal, slowly, but surely.

I only got into it to see how it worked out, kinda half-heartedly, thinking it might make a fun little target AR15 that was easy to carry for the distance movements in Sniper competitions, but still had better wind drift than .308 Winchester. I originally wanted an 18" barrel, but could only jump on my email notification in time to get a 16" AA barrel/bolt combo from Midway back in 2009.

I started load development using 123gr Scenar and N140, TAC, and then saw all these claims how Grendel really sucked from a short barrel, was only a paper puncher, not good for hunting, handicapped, etc. I thought that was odd, so I started buying some of the hunting pills and seeing what I could do, staying within reasonable limits with the available reloading data at the time.

When I saw what 100gr and 120gr pills would do, I ran the ballistics, and found that all the criticisms of the Grendel were based on something other than facts, and it was a better cartridge than its main competition since I could look at 16" barrel data, to include factory loads.

I'm not even sure how many barrels I have now for builds, and they seem to be multiplying. I need to get these 18" guns out and accuracy-test them.

Just got some Nosler brass from a fellow forum member, and it looks really nice. I'll update my impressions in the Ammunition and Reloading section.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        I'm getting fed up with Grendel, I have to admit. It's been taking over my arsenal, slowly, but surely.

I only got into it to see how it worked out, kinda half-heartedly, thinking it might make a fun little target AR15 that was easy to carry for the distance movements in Sniper competitions, but still had better wind drift than .308 Winchester. I originally wanted an 18" barrel, but could only jump on my email notification in time to get a 16" AA barrel/bolt combo from Midway back in 2009.

I started load development using 123gr Scenar and N140, TAC, and then saw all these claims how Grendel really sucked from a short barrel, was only a paper puncher, not good for hunting, handicapped, etc. I thought that was odd, so I started buying some of the hunting pills and seeing what I could do, staying within reasonable limits with the available reloading data at the time.

When I saw what 100gr and 120gr pills would do, I ran the ballistics, and found that all the criticisms of the Grendel were based on something other than facts, and it was a better cartridge than its main competition since I could look at 16" barrel data, to include factory loads.

I'm not even sure how many barrels I have now for builds, and they seem to be multiplying. I need to get these 18" guns out and accuracy-test them.

Just got some Nosler brass from a fellow forum member, and it looks really nice. I'll update my impressions in the Ammunition and Reloading section.
        The DEA may classify the Grendel as an addictive substance if this keeps up.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

+1

My wife is certainly less than enchanted with the number we have, and she doesn't even know about them all. LOL

Comment

Working...
          X