• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Variable View Post
    Fixed it above. You caught me on the picture edit.
    Interesting. Will those bases work with any standard QD swivel?
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I strongly believe so, but I can't definitively say yes.

Also-- according to Brownell's Q&A, the socket is threaded into a 1/2" hole that you thread with a 9/16"-18 tap. The socket is .503" long, so it should fit your buttplate fine (I think). You need to measure thickness just to be sure though. Once you had one in hand, it might be that you could shorten the socket a tiny bit too.
      Last edited by Variable; 09-10-2014, 03:37 AM.
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

So are you using titanium pins? Saves 40% over steel!

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          So are you using titanium pins? Saves 40% over steel!
          I use sooooper aluminum. It is even lighter.LOL

ETA: 64% lighter..... http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/colle...-pivot-pin-set
          Last edited by Variable; 09-10-2014, 03:50 AM.

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

I strongly believe so, but I can't definitively say yes.

Also-- according to Brownell's Q&A, the socket is threaded into a 1/2" hole that you thread with a 9/16"-18 tap. The socket is .503" long, so it should fit your buttplate fine (I think). You need to measure thickness just to be sure though. Once you had one in hand, it might be that you could shorten the socket a tiny bit too.
            According to Brownell's "Field Expert", they will work. I ordered a set off Amazon for just under $8.

Comment

• wheelguner
              Warrior
              • Oct 2011

Nice rifle cory! A bit off the topic but how do you like that Rockwell JawHorse?

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

I love it! The rubber jaws are perfect for working with my ARs and being able to operate it with my foot comes in handy when working alone.

Maybe not the most static mount though.

Comment

• hydrotech
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

I went to the link but couldn't see a pic of your rifle.

Comment

• hydrotech
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

whoops, never mind it just took a while for my computer to display it. Pretty cool man

Comment

• hydrotech
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

I notice your flash hider is 5/8 x 24. That is not the standard alexander arms 9/16 -24 thread pitch design. when you ordered your barrel from PF did it come with that thread pitch? Do you have to choose it as an option. When I got my liberty barrel, I bought a cheap flash 5.56 birdcage and drilled and tapped it to 9/16-24.
                      Originally posted by cory View Post

Oh and as you can see there's a few things I don't have weights for, so the total weight is actually a tad higher.

Imagine this sexiness with an 11.5" barrel. I'm getting excited just thinking about the next build.

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
                        I notice your flash hider is 5/8 x 24. That is not the standard alexander arms 9/16 -24 thread pitch design. when you ordered your barrel from PF did it come with that thread pitch? Do you have to choose it as an option. When I got my liberty barrel, I bought a cheap flash 5.56 birdcage and drilled and tapped it to 9/16-24.
                        Thanks man. Threading is an option for a PF barrel. The 5/8x24 is the default thread.

The industry has a pretty well standardized on the 5/8x24 twist for calibers 6.5mm and larger.

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

I got the bases in the mail today. Unfortunately they won't work. The bases are 0.5" thick. The base of my buttstock is only 0.375" thick and another spot on the on the buttstock I'd like to have a QD socket is only 0.325" thick.

I guess I'll call my gunsmith and see if he can just drill one.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Just put a "jamb nut" over the top of the socket after you thread it into your butt. It should work fine I'd think?

Have you looked at the socket to see if there is extra meat you can grind off of the back also?

Comment

• cory
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2012

You're suggesting I add more mass. Are you okay???

I may be able to take off a little but not enough.

Comment

• Variable
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Bwaaahahahahaa! You're funny!

I don't have the socket in my hand to look at, but you do---- It's basically a barrel with a smooth bore, threaded exterior, and a race milled into the interior, right? Is the race in the center of the .503" long barrel? It looks like it'd actually be located towards the front end. Right? If you grind material off the back end, it shouldn't interfere with anything should it?

If so, then just grind it down a bit. Measuring with a Mk 1 thumbnail on an iPad screen seems to indicate you could take some off the back without hurting anything. The limit to how much you could remove is the depth to which the swivel plug would reach inside the socket. The swivel plug itself may even be a little grind-able for it's tip penetration depth, but I don't know how they did their ball detent inside, so I couldn't say that for sure without deconstructing one.

If you didn't grind down the socket length and instead used a jamb nut--- Yes, it'd be a very heavy weight (LOL), but for aesthetic purposes it'd cover the protruding threads.

Comment

Working...
                                X