Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

The capacity to build Grendel ammo is there. The bottom of the .223 market is falling out with advertised prices under .30/round now. Those lines can be fairly easily switched. I suspect we may see Federal Grendel ammo in the not to distant future now that the market is saturated again with .223.

The last time we reached .223 saturation Hornady came on line with Grendel. The manufacturers cannot fail to notice that Grendel ammo sells like donuts at a cop convention!

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      Grendel ammo sells like donuts at a cop convention!
      I'd resent that remark, if it wasn't so true. Mmmmmm..... Donuts!

"Of course it's a trap, but they're still donuts!"

It'd be almost as sweet as a chocolate iced ring if Federal or Winchester rolled out a Grendel round. It'd probably be crappy, but we'd eat them anyway.LOL
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• SG4247
        Warrior
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Millions will buy a percentage of all of those. A small percentage of millions is a lot, and can create a lot of demand from ammunition manufacturers.

.223 Rem will not be legal to hunt with in several States, when it comes to medium sized game like deer. Deer hunting is one of the most popular hunting activities, especially in rifle season. More and more hunters each year will have 6.5 Grendel AR15's as their primary long gun, especially since it does so well with light recoil, but retained energy, and ease of hitting where you aim, even for youths.

A lot of the people who would normally be turned off by large caliber rifles will not be. That alone helps with sales of 6.5 Grendel, and AR15's.
        You all do not follow me:

There could be cheap Grendel ammo stacked on pallets at all the stores in this country, and if none of the big guns have incentive to build Grendel rifles, the whole dream evaporates.

Until someone with capital means, decides to build guns. It won't happen.
        NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I'm pretty sure they do get it. 5.56 demand seems to be softening a good bit as the last mad binge is normalizing. That leaves room for other chamberings to receive more attention.

This is always how the Grendel grew in the past. When things "normalize", folks branch out in their desires, and the manufacturers have room to manufacture alternatives to meet that demand. Wolf steel case (if imported in large enough numbers) helps support that growth. Irrespective of your own personal desire to use steel cased Wolf, quite a few consumers definitely factor that kind of thing into their decision making process. Wolf ammo is undisputedly popular with quite a large number of recreational shooters.

To me the big hurdle to widening the Grendel base has always seemed to be current manufacturing capacity. There have been a number of manufacturers who have had plans to offer Grendel chamberings in their products in the past, only to have their plans shelved when they suddenly couldn't even fulfill the demand for their current offerings.

Every time the press goes ape over some incident, and then the politicos come charging in to spew their gun control rhetoric, demand for mainstream products (5.56) explodes. Small arms and ammunition manufacturers are more than willing to try fulfilling that increased demand, but only at their current full capacity. The politicians seem to keep them too nervous to permanently expand their manufacturing base, for fear of being caught over extended by some executive fiat or legislative betrayal.

The upshot of it is that every time things get "normal" in the AR world, more companies seem to show interest in offering the Grendel as a chambering. If we have more ammo, and some "normalcy", it makes fertile ground to expand the Grendel base.

Carts and horses if you will. Mainly I guess we are just more optimistic about it than you are. Only time will tell. One thing's for sure, 8 years ago most shooters still hadn't even heard of the Grendel cartridge. Today it's a lot more mainstream than it used to be. Wolf can help it grow even further with a little luck (and lack of sanctions ).
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

There is a saying: "You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make him drink it."

The corollary is that horses WILL and MUST drink water on occasion but not always when we want them to.

The Grendel is no exception and we do see steady increases of interest as more people tumble to what the cartridge offers -- a hard-hitting, low-recoil round suitable for most North American game that works well on the AR-15 frame and does equally well in bolt action and single-shot rifles. Getting less recoil in a cartridge reduces capability for medium game, getting flatter shooting with bullets in the same weight class adds enough recoil that the rifles are less fun to shoot regularly.

These characteristics make the Grendel an interesting cartridge indeed.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Colt was going to sell a 6.5 Grendel rifle then the buying craze happened after SH and Colt shelved the Grendel. It would surprise me if Colt or other major player doesn't offer a complete 6.5 Grendel rifle in the next 12 months. I could see S&W offering a 6.5 Grendel with a Melonite barrel considering they jumped into the 5.45 X 39 market. After the import bans on the 5.45 X 39 military ammo it would make since to pick up the 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

It was Colt Competition, which is a 3-gun AR15 catering company out of Texas who have permission to use the Colt name.

I would like to see LaRue get on board with the Grendel, since Mark brought barrel-making in house after learning the hard way over years that LW pipes don't meet his standards for accuracy. Bringing in barrel-making for LaRue is a huge step for a rifle maker, especially since he machines most of his rifle parts, and has his own unique components for his rifles made to very stringent standards.

He also has the experience with the Grendel in one of his personal rifles that he used to take a bull elk at over 400yds, with a factory AA 120gr TSX load back in 2007. A PredatAR 6.5 Grendel would be a welcome addition to the market I think.

Remember that a big AR15 manufacturer already got on board with 6.5 Grendel, but was shut down by the ATF. Saber Defense made very nice rifles and carbines, so the move is not unprecedented.

Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Remember that a big AR15 manufacturer already got on board with 6.5 Grendel, but was shut down by the ATF. Saber Defense made very nice rifles and carbines, so the move is not unprecedented.
                  I recently sold a double fluted 18" Saber Defense to the friend of a forum member. Stupid mistake on my part. Consistently shot sub-MOA with Wolf. I recently purchased a 14.5" Saber upper from Red X Arms. My steel case is due next Thursday. Report forthcoming...

Back on topic: what's not to like about a AR-15 cartridge that can take elk at 400 yards?
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                    . . .

Back on topic: what's not to like about a AR-15 cartridge that can take elk at 400 yards?
                    The little cartridge that could.

Comment

Working...
                    X