• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HOPSTER
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2014

Another barrel search

Hi folks,
    I was hoping to show off my new custom build, but the UPS box split open enroute spilling my new Shilen 20" HBAR Grendel barrel onto the ground. Since the (matching) bolt was locked into place, it poked through the end of the tube, and I found some marks inside the barrel adapter apparently made by the bolt. I told Midway I had no confidence in the barrel and needed a new one. While waiting on them to fight with UPS over the damage claim, the barrels went "unavailable". My build was designed with this particular barrel in mind: Lancer Rifle Plus octagon carbon fiber handguard, Syrac .750 adjustable gas block, Magpul PRS stock, Giselle DMR trigger, Vortex 6-24X50 Scope ....

Assuming the barrel that I waited 6 months to be in stock will not be in stock soon, I have to look at other options, even higher priced ones.

I could have started out saying I am looking for a Grendel barrel but needed to tell the story to get some sympathy from Y'all.

Anyway, looking for a top notch barrel, 20 to 24'' with matching headspaced bolt.
    I checked Krieger but theirs are only 26 to 28", only a problem from the aesthetics angle, since that might look silly with my 13" handguard. (Still open on this though).

I checked Satern, nothing in stock.

Precision Arms has Lilja and Bartlien, no contour details shown, and still a waiting period with fairly high prices too.

If I am spending 500-600 I think I should get cut rifled. The Shilen was $463 and is button rifled, hand lapped, but had a decent reputation for accuracy.

Needless to say I am looking for 1/2 MOA and will be shooting Lapua 108's and 123's in Lapua brass.

Any suggestions would be helpful since I am not hopeful after experiencing Midways poor customer service, and I don't think they will get the Shilens back in stock anytime soon.
    All of the other parts are here waiting on the barrel. I understand I may have to get a different gas block depending on contour.
    Thanks,
    DC, Orlando FL
  • Sputnik
    Warrior
    • May 2013

I would seriously contact Mark at Precision Firearms. He announced a short time ago about some precision barrels that could be shortened to order. My Neptune V upper with a Bartlein barrel is a work of art. I believe he had Bartlein as well as a line on incoming Krieger barrels.

In fact, I just checked his website for you, and he has Bartlein and Lilja barrels in your price range, and I believe he expects more Krieger barrels in September, and was taking preorders. The Bartlein barrels are rifle cut. I hope I haven't misspoke. Good barrels go fast. Good luck!
    Last edited by Sputnik; 08-28-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I have two friends who bought 18" 6.5 Grendel's from Brownell's. They have their 24" 6.5 Grendel with matching bolt in stock. After seeing my Friends 18" Brownell's barrel and the way it shoots I think I'd buy the Brownell's and use it till you got your Shilen. If you don't the like the Brownell's barrel you could sell it later. For $270 I think it is an awesome barrel/bolt for the 6.5 Grendel. You could get the Brownell's barrel delivered in less than a week.

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
        I would seriously contact Mark at Precision Firearms. He announced a short time ago about some precision barrels that could be shortened to order. My Neptune V upper with a Bartlein barrel is a work of art. I believe he had Bartlein as well as a line on incoming Krieger barrels.

In fact, I just checked his website for you, and he has Bartlein and Lilja barrels in your price range, and I believe he expects more Krieger barrels in September, and was taking preorders. The Bartlein barrels are rifle cut. I hope I haven't misspoke. Good barrels go fast. Good luck!
        +100 on this. My recent barrel was a 16" PR Bartlein done with a Manson Reamer. Mark will do just about any length you'd like, just shoot him an email or give him a call.

Lilja will be using Manson Reamers soon and I wouldn't hesitate to jmp on one of those barrels. Their AR740 (20") or AR24 (23") Would serve you nicely.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Lonehill
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2013

Hopster, I got the same Shilen barrel through Midway a week ago. Got my upper completely assembled, chambered a round and then extracted it. Brass had an inch long arced scrape in the middle of the case. Got to looking inside the chamber and there's a pretty nasty scratch in the chamber. My barrel came in a hard cardboard tube capped on the ends and pretty well packed. Came through U.S. mail. Maybe they got in hurry on this run of barrels and let some through with poor QC. I hope to somehow polish mine a little cause I don't want to wait forever on another one. Finally cancelled my order with Satern after a year.....

Comment

• Dave Bob
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2013

The Brownells 18" barrel has been backordered for months....

Dave

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

At this point I wouldn't touch a barrel, if I didn't know for sure who manufactured it.
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Slappy
                Warrior
                • Feb 2014

Call Precision Firearms and then there will be no worries about anything and he ALWAYS backs what he sells. There is something to be said for not worrying about what you order and having ZERO problems when you get your product. BANG BANG!! Just my thoughts, if it really matters??

Comment

• HOPSTER
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2014

Thanks all !

It's looking like Precision Fire Arms is the way to go.
                  Midway has today told me the Shilens will be back soon, but I'm thinking to just get a refund and go with Lilja/Bartlein/Krieger.
                  Is there a preference between those 3 brands ?
                  I am wondering how many bolt manufacturers there are and which is best.
                  Precision uses one particular bolt brand. Does it have a good rep ?
                  BTW I did buy 200 rounds of the PF Lapua 123 loads to do break in and add to the 200 Lapua brass that I got from Midway.
                  Does this load shoot well and has anybody been able to duplicate it if so ?
                  (thought I would sneak that in although this is not the reloading section)
                  Thanks again,
                  Dan

Comment

• HOPSTER
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Lonehill View Post
                    Hopster, I got the same Shilen barrel through Midway a week ago. Got my upper completely assembled, chambered a round and then extracted it. Brass had an inch long arced scrape in the middle of the case. Got to looking inside the chamber and there's a pretty nasty scratch in the chamber. My barrel came in a hard cardboard tube capped on the ends and pretty well packed. Came through U.S. mail. Maybe they got in hurry on this run of barrels and let some through with poor QC. I hope to somehow polish mine a little cause I don't want to wait forever on another one. Finally cancelled my order with Satern after a year.....
                    My barrel had the small gouges in the locking recess, just forward of the lugs. Since the bolt had popped a hole in the end of the shipping tube, I thought maybe they were caused by the bolt getting knocked sideways, leaving scrape marks in the recess. I have a real problem with Midway now after 10+ years of purchases. They now ship everything in single ply boxes which are carelessly packed, and they think a few air pillows will keep things from shifting. The box was rated at 35 PSI. The heavy barrel in its tube simply shifted back and forth till it destroyed the box. The items that spilled out were repacked by UPS into another small box, and the torn box was taped back together also and sent to me. Half of the Redding Match die set was missing, along with the die box. When I complained, the cubicle rat simply read from a script stating how they have tested all of their shipping methods.
                    I wrote to "Larry Potterfield" and after a few phone calls and emails, finally got a reply: Larry is, well, not really much involved with running Midway anymore. He is the icon. I told the fellow (who like everyone there, has no last name) that Larry was basically Colonel Sanders, or Aunt Jemima, just an icon. Customer service there really sucks. After $17,400 in purchases since 2007 I am now looking at other options for my main supplier of gun stuff.

Comment

• olde sarge
                      Warrior
                      • May 2014

Hopster, I can only echo what a number of others have said. Mark at Precision Firearms is one of the nicest and most helpful persons I have dealt with while buying my parts for a build, consequently I will be pretty much shooting a Precision Firearms rifle. I don't think you could go wrong with that decision. John

Comment

• Apparition
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                        I have two friends who bought 18" 6.5 Grendel's from Brownell's. They have their 24" 6.5 Grendel with matching bolt in stock. After seeing my Friends 18" Brownell's barrel and the way it shoots I think I'd buy the Brownell's and use it till you got your Shilen. If you don't the like the Brownell's barrel you could sell it later. For $270 I think it is an awesome barrel/bolt for the 6.5 Grendel. You could get the Brownell's barrel delivered in less than a week.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod69785.aspx
                        This, for the price you will be very happy. I have an 18" and a 24" the 18" shoots great. The 24" is still in the box though.

Comment

• HOPSTER
                          Unwashed
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Apparition View Post
                          This, for the price you will be very happy. I have an 18" and a 24" the 18" shoots great. The 24" is still in the box though.
                          I appreciate that. I know I could probably get three of those for one Krieger, but I am obsessed with accuracy so will probably go the expensive route.
                          Considering I have spent about $700 so far just on brass, bullets, and reloading dies etc for this caliber, I want to match the barrel quality to the scope quality to the ammo quality and keep them all high. Then I know the only problem will be the me quality. I'm going to assume the Brownells barrels are either Shaw or Douglas button rifled but I don't know. Thanks again however for this practical advice.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2013

We have all unfluted contours in stock fyi

Comment

• Slappy
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2014

I have an 18 that Mark/PF built and this thing will drive tacks and I have a 24 Bartlein barreled (pictures to follow today some time) that I will be finally shooting on Sunday and I would expect the 24 to shoot just as well. I have not had any zero problems with the 18 and do not ever expect to. Went way overboard on the 24 though. NIB bolt and carrier, hydraulic buffer PRS stock 2 stage trigger brake and on and on and had him Wahlberg it also!! BANG BANG!! Or call Lilja

Comment

Working...
                              X