X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boostmeister
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Correction to my posting! The firearm has a 20" Shilen heavy contour barrel, not 18" as previously indicated.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Well, now. THAT is different. We'll need to throw out the results and start again!

Seriously, though, thanks for posting up. I've been wondering what to do about the mix of Hornady and Lapua brass, and whether or not I should enlarge the flash holes to keep things consistent Your results would suggest that I will never see temperature swings extreme enough to test the theory on cold weather and flash hole sizes.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Boostmeister
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2014

Sorry bout the error on the barrel length. Was looking at my data and the velocity looked for an 18" tube. Went back and checked my firearm and saw the mistake.

I don't have a heavy barreled Grendel bolt gun to perform any testing, or I would try it to see if I could see any difference. In my application, I will convert all Lapua/AA brass to the larger flash hole for consistency. I simply can't see any performance difference that warrants keeping the .058 flash hole.

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SG4247 View Post
          Now, I drill all Grendel brass to the same diameter. I want it as consistent as possible.

The case volume difference between Lapua and Hornady has a bigger effect on accuracy in my my rifles than flash hole diameter, in my experience.
          I think your meant to say "drill all Lapua brass...", unless you've discovered a way to drill a hole smaller. What a money maker that would be, eh?
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Boostmeister
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2014

I guess I'm having an off weekend. You are correct in that I meant to state that I will drill all Lapua/AA brass to the same diameter. You'll have to forgive me as I just washed my hands and can't do a thing with them. Life will be more simple with flash holes that are the same size. It won't make any difference which decapping die I use. At my age, simple is good!

Comment

• SG4247
              Warrior
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
              I think your meant to say "drill all Lapua brass...", unless you've discovered a way to drill a hole smaller. What a money maker that would be, eh?
              I think he was referring to me.

Perhaps I drill all Grendel brass to .080"........???
              NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

SG4247 - Maybe I misunderstood your meaning. My assumption was that you had both Lapua and Hornady brass, and that your intention was to drill the Lapua flash holes to the same size as the Hornady brass. If so, then my comment would have made sense, in that you'd mistakenly said you were going to drill the Hornady flash holes out. If not, then I can only presume your intention is to drill out the Hornady cases for reasons known only to you. My brain is in two worlds, today. with not enough time in either.

Comment

• Boostmeister
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2014

I have about 500 pieces of brass, pretty much evenly split between Hornady (large or standard sized flash hole) and Laupa/AA with the small flash hole. After the testing that I have run, I intend to open up all of the Lapua/AA with a Sinclair piloted flash hole deburring tool:

Once completed, I will be able to use a standard sized decapping die to knock out spent primers prior to tumbling in stainless steel media. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Comment

Working...
                  X