Is someone willing to cast some bullets for me? Have mold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Is someone willing to cast some bullets for me? Have mold.

I have a Lee double cavity mold for 170 grain 6.5 bullets but do not have anything else for casting. If I send the mold would someone be willing to cast me batch of bullets to test in subsonic loads? I'll gladly compensate you for your time.

Thanks
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

I can help you out, I also have a noe 140 gr mould I can cast you a few of those to play with as well pm sent
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• dammitman
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

i am glad to see someone help out with this. i love to cast and i am starting to powder coat my cast bullets as well. anyone else using powder coating for the lube?

Comment

• Von Gruff
        Chieftain
        • Apr 2012

Too far away but would have done so otherwise. I really enjoy my casting and hope to push my 125gn 6.5 cast bullet in a new alloy up past the 2350fps I was getting with an alloy that exhibited no expansion so was unsuitable for hunting. If I can get anywhere near 2500fps with expansion I will put the A Max's aside for goats etc under 250 yds
        http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
        Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• wheelguner
          Warrior
          • Oct 2011

dammitman,

What are you using for coating? Thermoset or thermoplastic? How are you prepping, chemical or abrasive. Details please you have piqued my curiosity.

Comment

• dammitman
            Warrior
            • Dec 2012

good questions. i began to learn about this due to the building of a 300 AAC blackout ar pistol. so just like we got a forum for grendel there is a real good one for 300 blkout. ist called 300blktalk.com
            so anyways looking thru all the different parts of the forum i came across the casting and behold everybody there was talking about powdercoating the self cast bullets. now i have cast alot of bullets over time and have that part figured out. i did some more research just googleing and checking youtube videos and its pretty easy. i ordered my powder from powderbuythepound.com i know its a polyester type. a friend gave me a like new pretty large toaster oven and i bought a harbor freight powder gun. the hard part is applying the powder. alot of guys use what they called shake and bake. i have a couple of different ways i am just starting to try and get good at. the only prepping i have done is to wash off the bullets in acetone and dry before trying to coat. one batch done and they looked real nice, shoot OK from the blackout. research it, i doubt i will try and do any for the grendel but one never knows.

Comment

• ramslammer
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2014

G'Day
              Hi-tek coating is also a good one. It's made by a bloke here in AUS but is marketed in the US by several companies. It's that good you can melt the lead out of the coating and it'll remain in the bullets shape.
              Juddy

Comment

• wheelguner
                Warrior
                • Oct 2011

dammitman,

Thanks for the quick reply and for pointing me in the direction of data regarding this. I have been casting for my large bore handguns for over 30 years and dialed in my procedures. I am a fan/follower of Veral Smith, the auther of Lead Bullet Technology and use his water drop method. I have not found a method of casting for rifles that gives me bullets that satisfy my needs for any of the calibers I load for except 45-70. You have given me a new project.

edit
                ramslammer.
                Thanks for your input.... it posted while I was composing and I saw it as soon as I posted. That sounds amazing. I have to try it.
                Last edited by wheelguner; 09-02-2014, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Cool! replied to you Mongoose.

I don't know any details about it but I have seen a few threads here and there about powder coating. I have also shot a lot of pistol bullets with the Hi-tek coating. Either one would probably work well for this application.

Looking forward to this project...

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• dammitman
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2012

OK, so i have a batch of 144 30 caliber 230 grain bullets in the oven right now!! 6 more minutes. these are shake and bake except that i have a second tray with 144 holes drilled just the right size to hold the bullets. they wont be as pretty for sure but i think they will shoot fine for the application. (subsonic out of the pistol) uno i might just buy a 6.5 mold that uses gas checks and see what i can do with a grendel bullet just for fun,,,,,thats what this hobby is to me. of course these 30 cal bullets are lime green for the coming zombie invasion we all know is near!!!!!

Comment

• dammitman
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2012

ok, got them out and as i thought they didnt look as good as the ones that had the powder applied with the spray gun. but they look as thought they are consistant and will shoot as well for sure. load development is next with these. i have a few left to bake so i am going to actually try the shake and bake and just lay them out on the tray and see how those come out. i am sure all this is probably no where near right for a long shot accuracy try with a grendel but i am in my learning curve and i bet before this is over i will be loading some for a try. oh its commin,you have to try!!!

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Would that coating come off in small increments- enough to plug the gas block & tube over time? Sounds pretty cool otherwise.

TX, it's pretty cheap to get a small lead melter. Just set it outside in that hot Texas sun for a warmup. I know a guy here that could melt lead for cheap, maybe he;s still on here?

Comment

• dammitman
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2012

The folks using them have not said anything about gas port problems. I wondered if it could come off and smashed a few to see. It didnt.

Comment

• rasp65
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Chances are the pressure is so high at the gas port that it would have a hard time building up to the point of plugging. If it would show up anywhere the bolt tail would turn red or yellow depending on your color choice of powder coat but not likely because of the very small volume of the coating compared to the gas.

Comment

• txgunner00
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                              Would that coating come off in small increments- enough to plug the gas block & tube over time? Sounds pretty cool otherwise.

TX, it's pretty cheap to get a small lead melter. Just set it outside in that hot Texas sun for a warmup. I know a guy here that could melt lead for cheap, maybe he;s still on here?
                              LOL. It has seemed it's been hot enough to melt lead the last few weeks.

I've been considering getting into casting for a while but I have too many hobbies as it is. Plus, I have no idea if this is even going to work so I'd like to try it before I invest anymore into it.

Comment

Working...
                              X