• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

AA brass is now Hornady manufacture ?

I visited AA's website to check the price on their Lapua brass (with AA headstamp).

Apparently, it no longer exists...?

Best I could tell, all brass and loaded AA ammo on the website indicates Hornady manufacture.

It also appears that Hornady brass from AA will have the AA headstamp.

Guess I missed the memo. How long have I been in the dark?

Links:

brass http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Bra...ady_Brass.html

ammo http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/6_5...mmunition.html
    Last edited by Drifter; 09-02-2014, 09:47 AM.
    Drifter
  • Dogue
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

I think several months ago AA pulled Lapua brass from the website. Not sure if Lapua has stopped production of it, or what, but Precision Firearms also referenced not being able to get Lapua brass and they have switched suppliers as well.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Dogue View Post
      I think several months ago AA pulled Lapua brass from the website. Not sure if Lapua has stopped production of it, or what, but Precision Firearms also referenced not being able to get Lapua brass and they have switched suppliers as well.
      Lapua is still making brass, but the prices are getting stratospheric for a high volume cartridge like the Grendel. There are online sources of the Lapua brass.

It's another reason steel case is such a big deal.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
        Warrior
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dogue View Post
        Slightly incorrect. All our ammo is produced using Lapua Brass, just not with AA Headstamp. We do not use Hornady brass for out 6.5 Grendel Loads at this time.
        "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Yeah, the Hornady brass is only, the sleezy updated PPU brass from the last decade of stupidity - really?
          The next best brass is here, and more on the way. Nosler is a good choice, Norma is into the Grr , also a few more are in the wings of signing on.
          Last edited by sneaky one; 09-03-2014, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
            Warrior
            • Apr 2011

Nosler and Norma are both more expensive than Lapua.
            "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Still better than Hornady-PPU stuff.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

It better be for the price. And for the price I fail to see how it could be enough of a difference. I've never had any problem with Hornady Brass.

If anyone is fed up with their Hornady Brass and wants to switch to Nosler or Norma, just send me you Hornady Brass, I'll be sure to dispose of it for you.
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Walter
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2013

Midway has a sale on Lapua and the cost is the same as Hornady. Some times I think you guys just like to complain.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

It's a form of competition, I think. you know - see who can come up with the best gripe.

I bought Hornady brass because it was what was available at the time. I've since purchased AA headstamped Lapua for the time when my Hornady stuff went south. That was two years ago, and I still haven't used the AA brass.
                    Last edited by NugginFutz; 09-03-2014, 04:44 PM.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• dammitman
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2012

i missed something,,,whats wrong with the hornady brass?

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dammitman View Post
                        i missed something,,,whats wrong with the hornady brass?
                        The first run of Hornady brass 3-4 years ago was softer than Lapua, we saw looser primer pockets after 3-4 loadings. In fact, I gave away hundreds of pieces because I didn't want to mess with that.

For at least the last 2 years, I have not seen that problem, and have started to put Hornady brass into my regular rotation. Lapua brass is incredibly good, and I have 20 plus reloads on some of my brass, (I still have 200 pieces or so of the first 300 I bought almost 8 years ago).

I'm not surprised that AA is using Hornady now, it would be pretty danged expensive to build factory ammo with brass that cost 70 cents a piece!

Comment

• pinzgauer
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                          I'm not surprised that AA is using Hornady now, it would be pretty danged expensive to build factory ammo with brass that cost 70 cents a piece!
                          Hornady is also running 70 cents a piece retail, so not that much price difference. I suspect both Hornady & Lapua were much cheaper wholesale, with Hornady willing to discount much more. I've been seeing it in stock pretty much non-stop for some time, where the Lapua nearly always sells out.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
                            Hornady is also running 70 cents a piece retail, so not that much price difference. I suspect both Hornady & Lapua were much cheaper wholesale, with Hornady willing to discount much more. I've been seeing it in stock pretty much non-stop for some time, where the Lapua nearly always sells out.
                            Current wholesale is approaching .70 for Lapua I am told. There is some old contract price stuff still out there, I would guess. A local manufacturer wants into the Grendel market, but the Lapua price is dissuading him. If he buys 100,000 pieces, he can get the price down some, but thats a big investment for a small business for just brass.

Comment

• cory
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                              Current wholesale is approaching .70 for Lapua I am told. There is some old contract price stuff still out there, I would guess. A local manufacturer wants into the Grendel market, but the Lapua price is dissuading him. If he buys 100,000 pieces, he can get the price down some, but thats a big investment for a small business for just brass.
                              That's ridiculous. What's driving it?
                              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X