• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soyben
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2013

First Build: 18 inch Deer Rifle

After many months of research and parts acquistions, I am now in the final days of waiting on my rifle. I finished with my lower this last weekend while the upper is at the gunsmith for assembly and is due back any day.

Parts list below. Hope to add a picture soon.

-Receiver - Aero Precision Match set no forward assist
    -Barrel - Templar Custom button rifle barrel 18 inch SS 1:8
    -Trigger - Giessele G2S
    -Handgaurd - AP Customs Carbon Fiber rifle length
    -Gas block - Kies adjustable clamp on
    -Scope - Vortex Viper HS 2.5x10x44
    -Mount - Aero Precision Ultralight Scope Mount
    -Muzzle device - Templar Custom MC-E Brake
    -Palmetto State Armory Lower parts kit with bolt carrier group and charging handle

Also with hogue grip, Magpul AFG2 and Magpul enhanced aluminum trigger guard.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 11-01-2014, 01:26 PM. Reason: embedded pics
  • Soyben
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2013

So took my all my upper parts to the gunsmith back in early August, they got around to looking at it in late August. Called me that it was closing on the no-go gauge. After some conversation with Templar I returned the barrel for evaluation. Got the call Saturday the barrel extention was off by .005 which added up to what my local guy was measuring. So he fixed that and assembled my upper and is shipping it today. He also gave me one of his muzzle devices for my inconvenience. I had almost given up hope of having this rifle for deer season, looks like I might make it after all.
    Last edited by Soyben; 10-20-2014, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

You'll have to post pictures of your build and a range report.

Comment

• danm
        Warrior
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        You'll have to post pictures of your build and a range report.
        Yeah what VASCAR2 typed!

Comment

• jurassic
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Soyben View Post
          So took my all my upper parts to the gunsmith back in early August, they got around to looking at it in late August. Called me that it was closing on the no-go gauge. After some conversation with Templar I returned the barrel for evaluation. Got the call Saturday the barrel extention was off by .005 which added up to what my local guy was measuring. So he fixed that and assembled my upper and is shipping it today. He also gave me one of his muzzle devices for my inconvenience. I had almost given up hope of having this rifle for deer season, looks like I might make it after all.
          Great customer service!

Comment

• 65Whelen
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Great minds think alike, you and I built pretty much the same rifle. Check my album of rifles. For deer hunting I use the lower that is pictured with my 5.56. So for hunting my Grendel ends up at 8.5lbs. What does your rifle weight? Always looking for ways to take some weight off.

Just a friendly reminder, there is an unwritten rule here on the Forum, "if you don't have pictures it didn't happen."

Good luck at the range.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 65Whelen; 10-28-2014, 11:53 PM. Reason: added pics

Comment

• Soyben
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2013

Pictures are coming, build has run long due to the head space issue. Should have some pictures this weekend.

Comment

• Soyben
                Unwashed
                • Oct 2013

Pictures!

See, it is a real rifle, Finally. As is, it weighs 7 lbs. 14 oz. When I add the fore grip and rail it should barely push it over 8 lbs. That is until I add a better stock, I definitely what a better check weld.
                Attached Files

Comment

• danm
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2014

See, it is a real rifle, Finally. As is, it weighs 7 lbs. 14 oz. When I add the fore grip and rail it should barely push it over 8 lbs. That is until I add a better stock, I definitely what a better check weld.
                  Looks good, just ordered that scope mount ... What stock are you thinking? I'm really liking my Magpul ACS-L... but it's obviously not a sniper stock...

Comment

• 65Whelen
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Nice rifle. I didn't like my cheek weld with the Magpul MOE and, like Danm, also went to the Magpul ACS, big improvement. Now the real fun, how's it shoot?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

I really love these Aero Precision receiver sets, plus the AP Customs carbon fiber handguards for a lightweight hunter.

I've done several of them now this way, and even a Lilja AR740 20" barrel rifle can be made to come in at 6.25lbs, without even putting the lower receiver group on a diet. It really made me rethink barrel length, the thing was so light.

If you went with the Balios light receivers, a carbon fiber stock, or the new Luth-AR stock with adjustable cheek piece, the JP SCS balanced with the LMOS, you could really push the scale, but even with what you have done, you have a very lightweight hunting system that will hit game with at least 85% of the energy of the .308 Winchester, but half the recoil, and ammunition that was specifically meant to work in a gas gun.

This type of build is what I had in mind when we wrote Chapter 3 of Volume II for the 6.5 Grendel Hunting Handbook, Barrel Length: Handling vs. Velocity, which starts on page 12.
                      Last edited by LRRPF52; 11-01-2014, 01:36 PM.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Soyben
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2013

Always planned on adding the stock later so I haven't really looked at any particular stocks yet, so I don't have anything in mind at the time.

Shot it yesterday just enough to tune my gas block, will do more next weekend. I think I am really going to like it. I did move the scope forward about 2 inches from the pictures. Not only is it much more comfortable now but with the scope as it was in the picture it made charging it very difficult.

Comment

• Soyben
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2013

Sighting in

Finally got out to shot some. I shoot in field next to my parents house, had a hard time today keeping the cows out of my shooting range so I didn't get many shots in before the sun went down. Here are 2 of my three 3 shoot groups. I had one shot that that I sent a bit left (I was a bit irritated by the cows I think) but all my other shots I am quite happy with. One picture looks like only 2 shots but the top hole is 2 rounds. I was at about 70 yards today, will get some longer range shots in next weekend hopefully.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• danm
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2014

Finally got out to shot some. I shoot in field next to my parents house, had a hard time today keeping the cows out of my shooting range so I didn't get many shots in before the sun went down. Here are 2 of my three 3 shoot groups. I had one shot that that I sent a bit left (I was a bit irritated by the cows I think) but all my other shots I am quite happy with. One picture looks like only 2 shots but the top hole is 2 rounds. I was at about 70 yards today, will get some longer range shots in next weekend hopefully.
                            Second group looks great!

Comment

Working...
                            X