6.5 grendel ammo gauge different from chamber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I have never used a case gauge, and if I were to, I would want it cut with the same reamer and person who did the barrel. My chamber is my case gauge.

I also only use spray on lube like Hornady's One Shot, and stopped using wax due to hydro forming damage and excessive re-sizing around the case web area, which works the brass more than it needs to be.

There is a detailed chapter on reloading procedures in Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks. http://ar15buildbox.com/Sitemap.html
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• usar_ds
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2014

Ok so used the cut case test followed instructions to the letter.

Oacl of 4 bullets from 2 boxes were 2.220, 2.216, 2.217, 2.212.
      ???????
      That can't be right. Aren't factory AA noslers 2.245?
      Wolf mpt is 2.232 and seats with out sticking

I am gonna try the no extractor seating a little at a time and pushing the round out from the muzzle trick to confirm

Comment

• usar_ds
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2014

Confirmed at 2.214 oacl with another dummy round

even though every chamber is a little different that just seems so far off.

So I have to shoot compressed loads With nosler. Anyone else eexperience this?

Any Imput at this point would be appreciated
        Last edited by usar_ds; 09-17-2014, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Good Info!
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

usar Mine touch at 2.255" but you just have to work with what you have. Now that you know the limits you can begin your load development. The throat will eventually move forward so use the tool. My other thought is if you oversized the case that will result in shorter OAL. That is why you use a properly sized case for your gauge.

Comment

• usar_ds
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
              usar Mine touch at 2.255" but you just have to work with what you have. Now that you know the limits you can begin your load development. The throat will eventually move forward so use the tool. My other thought is if you oversized the case that will result in shorter OAL. That is why you use a properly sized case for your gauge.
              Thought of this.
              Just re-re-confirmed by pulling an mpt bullet and temporarily making a squib round. Seated a nosler in the un fired case (never resized) seated it extra long. Then seating more little by little until it stoped sticking in the leedes.
              Oacl of 2.211 for this bullet

And much thanks resp you definitely saved me from another night of beating my head against the wall

Comment

• Zapp
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                I have never used a case gauge, and if I were to, I would want it cut with the same reamer and person who did the barrel. My chamber is my case gauge.
                I know that is a pretty common sentiment on this site. I won't argue that using just your chamber as a guide, you will get brass that is a little more tailored to fit your chamber. Even if that means it might have problems chambering in other Grendel chambers. Do you get your sizing die cut with the same reamer as your chamber?

I am guessing you have several Grendels to feed, right? Do you load for each one seperately and also keep the fired brass split between them?

For most calibers I own, I have a few firearms chambered in that caliber. And I don't think I have any that are chambered by the same company, let alone the same reamer. Since I want to shoot my ammo in either rifle, I prefer to keep things within the SAAMI max cartridge spec, which my ammunition gauges help with. But everyone has their own thoughts on the subject, and I certainly appreciate you sharing yours.

Comment

• rasp65
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by usar_ds View Post
                  Thought of this.

And much thanks resp you definitely saved me from another night of beating my head against the wall
                  No problem, I am here to save your walls.

Comment

Working...
                  X