X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

those are pretty cool pics of those primers.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Those pictures are from German Salazars blog, which has been on hiatus for a couple years now. However, there is a huge backlog of articles there, and if you go down a ways on this page, you can find the articles on Primers:

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

I have learned a lot from reading his articles and the ones he links to. LOTS of cool stuff there!

PS--German is a very OCD about reloading, there is stuff there that really doesn't apply to anyone but the top 1-2% of marksmen in the country, and maybe not even to them!

Comment

• usar_ds
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2014

so no point in me using win large rifle mag primers over reg win large rifle primers...

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by usar_ds View Post
          so no point in me using win large rifle mag primers over reg win large rifle primers...
          Try both and see if one offers a more consistent velocity. I've found that some primers offer more consistent velocities than others, Wolf SRM primers are excellent in that regard, for instance.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Trust bwaites advice on this lg . rifle primer issue. I tried a many small rifle primers - with only minimal diffs between them all. I stuck withj cci 450, wolf smr, and about to use cci 400 , for my trek into the 5.56 realm.

Comment

• usar_ds
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2014

Will do. Thanks for the imput

Comment

• usar_ds
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2014

as a related question what do you guys think is adequate velocity for whitetailed deer using 120gr bt. ?

my carbine is shooting wolf mpt at 2425-2450 fps
                my 27.0 charged, 120gr nosler bt load is only running about 2269-2286

but the load is ACCURATE!

more than I thought was possible with my chrome lined barrel

i think i am still gonna ladder up with the next load at 27.3, but whats you guy's opinion/ is there a consensus as far as good hunting medium to large game velocity?

so I have only been taking game with factory ammo so far, and I am trying to get a good load together before 9 day gun season.
                Last edited by usar_ds; 09-14-2014, 01:18 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Here is a link to Nosler's page on ballistic tip hunting bullets.

We engineered the Ballistic Tip Hunting bullet to be very predictable and extremely forgiving. Whether you’re after Whitetails, Blacktails, Mulies or Pronghorns, Ballistic Tip bullets deliver the kind of accuracy, consistency and down-range punch required for putting down that buck in any situation.

Nosler shows 1800 FPS minimum velocity for this bullet. I'm using CFE 223 powder with 120-125 grain 6.5/264 bullets and a friend uses Accurate 2520. Other poster report good results with AR Comp, Leverlution, and IMR8208XBR.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

The biggest disadvantage to lower velocity is the shorter range before a bullet hits the threshold for expansion. Faster load normally shoot flatter and will extend the range out past 300 yards.
                    Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-14-2014, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• usar_ds
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                      Here is a link to Nosler's page on ballistic tip hunting bullets.

We engineered the Ballistic Tip Hunting bullet to be very predictable and extremely forgiving. Whether you’re after Whitetails, Blacktails, Mulies or Pronghorns, Ballistic Tip bullets deliver the kind of accuracy, consistency and down-range punch required for putting down that buck in any situation.

Nosler shows 1800 FPS minimum velocity for this bullet. I'm using CFE 223 powder with 120-125 grain 6.5/264 bullets and a friend uses Accurate 2520. Other poster report good results with AR Comp, Leverlution, and IMR8208XBR.
                      thanks for the link i have been to noslers website but I hadn't realized that the expansion threshold was so high.

right now i am using AA2495 (mostly due to availability) been having really consistent results. when I got up to 27.0 gr. it basically turned my rifle into a laser, I even went home and loaded another string at that charge weight and went back out with it and some MPT to compare, around 3/4" at 100y, which I didnt think was possible with my CL 16" barrel (MPT only shoots about 1.5"-1.75" for me).

since there was no posted load data for AA2495, i contacted accurate powders, they gave me ramshot tac data and said it was a good rule of thumb.

of course accurate powders, Alexander arms, and nosler all have posted ramshot tac data for nosler 120gr bt and none of it even close to matches.
                      with different data max charges are:

nosler i saying dont go over 28gr. at 2493fps w/24" barrel (2345fps with a 16" barrel)
                      accurate powders is saying 28.7 at 2449fps w/20" barrel (2364fps with a 16" barrel)
                      alexander arms is saying 28.8 at 2560fps no barrel listed I assume 24" (2408fps with a 16" barrel)

also my rifle pushes mpt around 2450fps and alexander arms has the grendel ballistics charts with nosler 120gr bt listed at 2450fps for a 16" barrel

even if I decided with noslers max charge, with 2350 being max velocity, I still have plenty of room to ladder up from where i am at.

i just gotta cross my fingers that the accuracy doesnt decrease too much as I go up to better hunting velocities I guess

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I've loaded TAC with Sierra 120 grain Pro Hunter bullets and shot them in my 16" Chrome Moley barrel. My chronograph showed 2355-2360 FPS with 28.5 grains of TAC, Remington 6 1/2 primers and Hornady cases. My COAL was 2.240-2.245 and these rounds grouped around an 1" at 100 yards IIRC but they are on the warm side. Nosler seems to be very conservative in their recommended Max charge weights. I know Western powders recommends using the same data for accurate 2230 and Xterminator powder.

I think Western Powders sells the same powder under different brand names. I have been looking for Accurate 2520 for 5 years and still haven't seen any on the shelf. I missed some AR Comp by one day at a LGS but ammo sales are stabilizing and components should start becoming more available.
                        Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-14-2014, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X