RE the absence of the 6.5mm Grendel from Hornady's Steel-Case rifle ammunition lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SHORT-N-SASSY
    Warrior
    • Apr 2013

RE the absence of the 6.5mm Grendel from Hornady's Steel-Case rifle ammunition lineup

I sent the following E-mail Message to Hornady Marketing Operations Manager, Neal Emery:

"Dear Mr. Emery:

"A cursory check of Hornady Steel Case rifle ammunition reveals six popular calibers currently listed: .223 Remington; 5.45x39mm; 7.62x39mm; 7.62x54R; .30M1 Carbine; .308 Winchester. These are full-pressure loadings, with Hornady copper-jacketed bullets.

"In view of the growing popularity of the 6.5mm Grendel cartridge, I see the absence of the Grendel from this list, as a glaring omission. I submit that a full-pressure 6.5mm Grendel Steel Case load(s), with Hornady copper-jacketed bullet(s), would be well-received.

"Hoping to see it on the market, soon.

"Sincerely,"

• biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Do you have Mr. Emery's email address handy? A quick look on their website doesn't turn it up for me.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
      Warrior
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
      Do you have Mr. Emery's email address handy? A quick look on their website doesn't turn it up for me.
      nemery@hornady.com

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Just sent to Mr. Emery:

"Mr. Emery,

I wish to thank and congratulate Hornady for its commitment to the 6.5 Grendel cartridge The A-Max and SST loads have played a significant role in the increasing popularity of the Grendel cartridge. They are the ‘go-to’ factory loads for Grendel owners.

The Grendel community has been waiting patiently for a less expensive, general purpose load for our favorite caliber. Wolf recently introduced a mil-spec steel case load that underwhelms. Barnaul’s lists the bullet dispersion at 3.93 inches at 100 yards. This is totally unacceptable for a cartridge with the accuracy potential of the Grendel. A Steel Match load sold at 50-60% of the A-Max retail price would dominate the market and increase overall Grendel sales.

I hope you’ll consider adding 6.5 Grendel to your Steel Match line.

Sincerely..."
        Paul Peloquin

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
          Warrior
          • Feb 2012

I don't think we will see Hormady make steel case Grendel ammo any time soon. I base this on 3 things, 1 brass cased ammo is not setting on the shelf, 2 the bthp bullet used in steel match is not optimal, 3 the poor performance of the now available steel case ammo. We can push for it but I would seem the put a 30-06 into that lineup first.
          sigpic

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

In other offerings of steel-case ammo, Hornady uses non-match bullets, including SST, V-max, and Z-max.

A Zombie offering would be amusing.

Last edited by Drifter; 09-08-2014, 05:52 PM.
            Drifter

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Where does Hornady get their steel cases from for their other offerings? I would think they could buy the steel cases in bulk from Barnaul and load their choice of bullet.

I'd like to see a VMax or FMJ bullets with a nose length of 18mm to get as high a BC as possible in either a 95, 100, or 105gr weight. Low recoil and low price for high-volume plinking or varminting.
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

A reply from Mr. Emery at Hornady:

"Hi guys, got your emails and figured it was from a forum somewhere so I’ll respond to you all together. – Neal

Thanks for your interest in Hornady making a steel case 6.5 Grendel load. We are currently experiencing significant sourcing issues for steel cases due to geopolitical issues overseas. As a result, we’ve limited our steel case offerings in the past year and have trouble getting enough cases to load more common cartridges like 223, 308 and 9mm. Perhaps this will change in the future and we’ll be able to entertain more steel case offerings but it is not something we can do right now."
                Paul Peloquin

Comment

• tplace
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2014

Got the same reply. At least he responded.

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Yeah, when I asked for a factory ammo pressure curve I didn't get anything back.
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2013

I received the courtesy of Neal Emery's E-mail-response, today, as well.

Re the reference to, "more common cartridges like 223, 308 and 9mm," I take this as an unintended slight against "niche market" cartridges, as the 6.5mm Grendel is sometimes referred to. And, such statement reminds me to the article, [Utter lack of] Innovation in the gun industry --- http://innovationtrail.org/post/innovation-gun-industry --- "Tradition outweighs incentives to innovate." In the face of this, I take my hat off to those who meet the challenge to advance from the level of 20th Century "common cartridges."

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

I don't see it as a slight at all. .223/5.56 sells about 1000:1 over Grendel, maybe more. I know that steel case ammo has been hard to come by recently and suspected this was the cause. Hopefully, we won't see more embargoes!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

Sounds like a fair and reasonable response.
                          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                            Sounds like a fair and reasonable response.
                            Maybe if the owner (and some mods) from the official 6.5Grendel.com forum were to ask Hornady for a pressure curve for their factory ammo..... Maybe they'd help us out with some valuable data???
                            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
                            X