• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 81police
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

120 TSX vs. 175lb boar

This young 175lb boar walked out Sunday morning before sun up. Distance was 120 yards and, to no surprise, the AA loaded 120gr. TSX zipped right through him, exiting square on his opposite shoulder. What was surprising was that he ran 50 yards, never had an animal run that far w/ this load in a Grendel.

I did film the action on the ATN Shot Trak but unfortunately learned it doesn't do well in very very low light, the boar didn't show up on video. Bummer.

As always the 6.5 gets it done and coming out of this 18" Bennie Cooley comp'ed JP rifle, recoil is about par with a 223

John 11:25-26
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

As ever, very nice job!

I wonder if you could hack the Shot Trak and pull the IR filter and make it useful for low light. It would ruin it for daylight, however, so you would need 2. :-)
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Slappy
      Warrior
      • Feb 2014

Way to go, nice porker. Doin the Curly Shuffle!!!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Nice pork slaying again gents! Have you ever tried the 100gr TTSX?
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 81police
          Warrior
          • Feb 2013

We've still got a lot of the 120gr. tsx's left and once they run out we have about 100 rounds of 120 ttsx's. But I'd love to try out some 100gr ttsx's someday.

Comment

• rebelsoul
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

Nice pig! What kind of wound channel do you get with that round? I once had a Midland hat camera that was worthless in low light and in cold weather the 8X AA batteries lasted less than 2 hours. Lucky for me, it was lost when I remodeled my house. My Rhino Lid Cam works right up until dark, has good battery life and is rechargeable.
            "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• 81police
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

Dad and I have used Barnes bullets for 7+ years, we jokingly refer to them as "death rays". We've never recovered a bullet. That being said I can't comment on what the used bullets look like, but exit wounds typically appear to be double bore diameter or close to. Bullets never really seem to deviate from their flight path, meaning where they enter the animal, they exit on the opposite side staying true to the flight trajectory/angle. As far as penetration and expansion goes, I think Barnes are among the best hunting bullets.

But the classic hunting instruction, "know your target and WHAT LIES BEHIND IT" definitely rings true with these bullets. At least on hogs & whitetail where we hunt.
              Last edited by 81police; 09-11-2014, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• hydrotech
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Before i put a grendel together I had a great hog hunt down in Frio County Texas with my buddy a week before Christmas we took out a lot of pigs. I was using 62 grain TTSX in my AR. I hope to get down this year when christmas break starts and kill some more with my grendel. I only did head shots.

Comment

• hydrotech
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                  Last edited by hydrotech; 09-11-2014, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X