• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • olde sarge
    Warrior
    • May 2014

"Hog Stomper" build

Forum members, I have just returned from my FFL's business and wanted to give a report of what I have received from Precision Firearms. Yesterday I received the barrel which is a Bartlein AR720, threaded with small brake, the gas block and tube, Phalanx bolt and carrier and several other misc. parts. As an old aero/space machinist I have to say that I was impressed and very pleased with all. Today I picked up the upper/lower and was as impressed, if not more so, with it. The fit is tight upper to lower and the barrel to upper fit is superb. I managed to wiggle the extension about 2/3 of the way into the upper in a few minutes but stopped at that point because the parts were dry and I feared sticking them together, they fit so tight. I am tickled to death with what I have to work with and as I am able to get the other parts purchased and assembled over the next few months I will try to report here. A big two thumbs up to Mark at Precision Firearms as it is due after all the questions I asked him and he so thoroughly answered. John
    Last edited by olde sarge; 09-11-2014, 10:14 PM.
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

That is good news, hope to see some pictures. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

I hope your build goes smoothly and would love to see some pictures when completed.

Comment

• olde sarge
        Warrior
        • May 2014

Ordered a few new parts for the Grendel build: Hiperfire Hipertouch 24E trigger, BCM Gunfighter milspec (6 position) receiver extension, BCM Gunfighter mod 0 grip (foliage green), BCM Gunfighter mod 4 ( med latch)charging handle. Will take a few months to finish collecting parts partially because I will have to wait for availability on what's left to purchase and would rather spread out over a few months than compromise on what I want in it.

Comment

• olde sarge
          Warrior
          • May 2014

I've been really busy and attention focused on other things so have not been on Grendel forum in a lot longer than I thought. Finally gathered everything together and went to friends ranch along with my wife and adjusted the gas block and shot the rifle. Off the hood of my truck with a 3x9 leopold scope, after a few shots to set gas block, was able to shoot 5/8-3/4 inch groups with ease. Factory Hornady 123 SST. Wife shot gun and informed me she was using it this deer season. Recoil is so light I think it is probably less than a 5.56. I am so pleased that it worked out so well. I followed the suggestions given me and have a rifle that worked first time I fired it. Thanks guys for all of the suggestions and help!!! I guess if I want to use my rifle I am going to have to build my wife one also. Looking real hard at the forged Precision Firearms upper and lower with a Blackhole barrel. Anyone have comments on them? Best day I have had in a long time. John
          Last edited by olde sarge; 09-25-2015, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

What do you mean, you'll have to build her one?

She already has one. It is you, my friend who need to build yourself one...again.

Roger that on his fit of receivers. I've seen a lot of top notch billet receiver sets: Mega, Seekins, JP, Spike's, Iron Ridge, etc.

The Precision Firearms billet set take tight and precise fit to a new level, not just making this up as a fluff piece. When you can barely pry two stripped receivers without pins from each other, but the fit is perfect, you know that the word "Precision" actually has meaning in the company name.

Glad it turned out well for yo-I mean your wife's new deer rifle.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• customcutter
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Welcome to the world of Grendels. I'm sure you will eventually get to keep one.

Comment

• am4966
                Chieftain
                • Jul 2014

I have a forged Precision Firearms lower and a Aero Precision upper and they are a tight fit! So imo you can't go wrong with a forged set. Not sure but you know, but PF makes a Grendel barrel out of a Black Hole, Lothar Walther and Criterion barrels now. So you have some more options that don't cost as much as a Bartlien or Lilja.
                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• olde sarge
                  Warrior
                  • May 2014

Guess it is official. Will need to check zero on my .260 Rem for use this year. Wife told me to sell her heavy barreled Savage 110 .308 she has used for deer, for I guess about 20 years. Sent an email to Mark at Precision Firearms with some questions I had on the BHW barrels. I guess on the good side, is I now have all of the tools I will need for this build. Now the wait starts for different parts as I order them again. I enjoyed the first build and am looking forward to the new one. Does anyone on the forum know if the BHW 6.5mm barrels are lapped after they run the button through them? If so I think I will get Mark to Phalanx it if he can. Here we go.

Comment

Working...
                  X