• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hydrotech
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

solid lead reloads

hey I thought of posting this in the 6.5 grendel and other semi-autos...because its about another semi-auto, but its also about reloading. 3 years ago I got a single stage press and reloading equipment for my deer rifles, grendel, and other AR's. over the last year I have been shooting a lot of pistols. Been saving my 9mm brass. I have recently been seeing non jacketed solid lead 9mm bullets popping up at some local stores for like $38 for 500. I bought some and used my friends Dillon 650 to churn out 550 9mm reloads last night. My friend said my Glock may foul really fast using solid lead because it has octagonal rifling thats different from my beretta nano conceal pistol. honestly I shoot more volume with my pistols now than I do my AR's, and dont clean them except maybe every 500-600 rounds....anyone heard of Glocks being dangerous or prone to problems using solid lead reloads? this is the first time Ive reloaded for my pistols.
  • dmsims21
    Warrior
    • Nov 2012

You may see more leading sooner with the Glock.
    Accuracy may degrade a little. Firing a mag of jacketed bullets will clear it out some.
    www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Any leading depends on how soft the bullets are. There are swaged lead bullets which tend to be softer and have been loaded in years past by major ammo companies. There's also cast bullets which a lot of shooters have made for many years. A friend and I used to cast a lot in the winter and shoot in the milder weather. We normally used any bullets we found on the range plus lead wheel weights. To make the bullets harder we would melt 50/50 solder into the pot. We would drop the hot bullets into a bucket of water.

With these very hard cast bullets you got very little to no leading. You get more smoke than jacketed bullets but our cast bullets were very accurate. My friend had a lube sizer which heated the red lube which filled the grooves on the bullet during the swaging process.

We used a solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% peroxide to clean pistol barrels. I would disassemble the gun then take the pistol barrel and put a spent piece of brass in the chamber. I then would fill the barrel full and stand the barrel up while I cleaned the rest of the pistol. After setting for a few minutes I would dump the solution out the rinse the barrel with cold water. I'd then run patches through the bore. If there was any lead remaining I'd use a brass brush but if the bullets were hard this was usually not necessary. If kept clean Glocks can safely be shot with HARD CAST lead bullets driven at velocities under 1000 FPS.

For more velocity rounds like 44 mag we'd use gas checks on the bottom of the bullets.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-12-2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• hydrotech
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Thanks Vascar2. These bullets had 1 groove that was seated into the case. It had Blue lubricant in it.....I dunno if they were cast or swagged. I think a company in poplar bluff MO makes them. $38 bucks for 500 is pretty cheap compared to jacketed!... I first made only 10 cartridges on the Dillon and loaded 5 in my glock and 5 in my nano. They all cycled fine and were accurate enough for me to smoke a burglar so i went ahead and made 540 more until my brass ran out.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Guys:

Tell me what lead pistol bullets have to do with the Grendel? One thing to talk about cast lead bullets for the Grendel and another to discuss lead pistol bullets.

Keep it focused, please.

LR55

Comment

Working...
          X