• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lee
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Vortex 1x4 1/2 moa clicks ?

In comparing scopes, I see the Vortex has 1/2 moa clicks. Not sure I like that. Mostly this will be an intermediate range scope, but I would like to be able to make finer adjustments than that.
    At 600 yds. 1 click would be 3".
    What do you all say ? What are your experiences ?

Dr.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Holding better than 1/2-moa at 600 with a 4x scope would be somewhat of a challenge, without even taking into account any wind.

I mostly use a couple of scopes with 0.1-mil (~1/3-moa) clicks and 24x power at 600 yards. Can't say that I've ever really wished for finer adjustments, and have purposely steered clear of scopes with finer 0.05-mil clicks.
    Drifter

Comment

• Dr. Lee
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
      Holding better than 1/2-moa at 600 with a 4x scope would be somewhat of a challenge, without even taking into account any wind.

I mostly use a couple of scopes with 0.1-mil (~1/3-moa) clicks and 24x power at 600 yards. Can't say that I've ever really wished for finer adjustments, and have purposely steered clear of scopes with finer 0.05-mil clicks.
      exactly why finer adjustments would be a benefit.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Whatever graduations your reticle is in you should look for the same in the turrets.

Either, Mils reticle/Mils turrets, or MOA reticles/MOA turrets. Saves having to do a mental conversion if they are different standards. You will find you use the reticle for more than aiming, more often. I prefer Mils as the decimal system is more intuitive.

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Dr. Lee View Post
          exactly why finer adjustments would be a benefit.
          The reticle subtension of that particular scope's center dot is 1 moa:

And the reticle might be ~7.5% too large according to a calibration test:

So with a 4x scope which has a reticle that covers ~6.5" at 600 yards, I just don't view 3"-clicks as a significant limiting factor.
          Last edited by Drifter; 09-18-2014, 07:20 AM.
          Drifter

Comment

Working...
          X