• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tplace
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2014

Shilen 18" barrel and bolt

Does anyone know which chamber the Shilen barrels use? And, correspondingly, is the included bolt .125 or .136? I called Shilen but the person in Customer Service was unable to answer the question.
    Thanks,
    Terry
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Unless something has changed, it's SAAMI chamber and ~135 recess (Type 2) bolt, and they'll only sell the barrel and bolt together. The exception is if the customer supplies a 135 bolt to Shilen for proper headspacing when the barrel is made.
    Drifter

Comment

• tplace
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2014

Thanks, that is what I thought but I wanted some confirmation.

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
      Unless something has changed, it's SAAMI chamber and ~135 recess (Type 2) bolt, and they'll only sell the barrel and bolt together. The exception is if the customer supplies a 135 bolt to Shilen for proper headspacing when the barrel is made.

Comment

• tplace
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2014

Well I just got this from the nice lady at Shilen, she told me they DO NOT use a SAAMI spec and sent me this drawing. Can some one look at this and determine if it is in deed a SAAMI? I can't figure it out. Thanks,
        Terry

Comment

• rickOshay
          Warrior
          • Apr 2012

That appears to be a Go/No Go gauge. Its not a 6.5 Grendel chamber drawing.

Here is a link to the drawings: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...endel-Drawings

Comment

• tplace
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2014

Wow, you're right. Guess I don't have a future as a machinist, high school shop was a long time ago.
            How about this one? If I'm reading it correctly (slim chance) it's not SAAMI.

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
            That appears to be a Go/No Go gauge. Its not a 6.5 Grendel chamber drawing.

Here is a link to the drawings: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...endel-Drawings

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

That one above is a PTG reamer print specifically for Midway, and says "bolt gun only". It has a tighter .294" neck, but it does have the compound throat if you look at it.

SAAMI chamber has a .300" neck and compound throat. You can see the compound throat with the freebore starting at .2644", then goes down to .2617" before the conventional angle into the rifling.

I personally wouldn't want a .294" neck in a gas gun for 6.5mm. My .260 Rem gas gun has a tight neck, so I have to size all my brass before I even load it up, even new Lapua cases, which takes more time and effort to load.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• tplace
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2014

Man, I'm about ready to give up on Shilen. The lady helping me is super nice but just isn't getting what I'm asking for. thanks to everyone looking it over, I'll keep looking.

Comment

• r5329
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2013

Congratulations on "super Moderator" !!!

Comment

• tplace
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2014

Just following up, finally got the correct drawing and, to my untrained eye, it appears to be a SAAMI chamber. Whew!

Comment

Working...
                    X