• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

WOA $150 better than MicroMoa

I intend to build an accurate 12.5" 5.56.

I'd like to build a carbine length, 1:7.5", 12.5", fluted, nitrided barrel. However, I don't want to spend $400+ on a barrel.

12.5" fluted and nitride is the critical options.

Anyways, I got to looking at the WOA 16" SDM Barrel (https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xca...cat=250&page=3). I thought I would get it cut down to 12.5" and nitrided with the Grendel GB. So it'd be just over $400.

In my research for the proper specs for a 12.5" middy, MicroMoa pointed out their barrel which comes with a sub MOA guarantee, meets my critical specs, and runs significantly less ($250).

WOA barrels are suppose to be among the best, but are they really worth that much more than another guaranteed sub MOA barrel?
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

I'll say this, before Noveske and LaRue came out the hot barrel that everyone was buying was WOA. The only reason for that is the same as why the SPC gets its hype.
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Cory...as a guy who constantly over-thinks and over-analyzes situations, I think you've succumb to the same affliction. MicroMOA has a barrel that meets your specs at significantly less cost and hassle than the WOA option. Get the details on their guarantee (how long do you have to return the barrel, what ammo meets their "match" requirements, etc.). Get the MicroMOA barrel and see it if works. If it doesn't go with the WOA barrel. You've lost nothing but a little time and gained some experience. My $.02.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

bioids you just hit the nail on the head. Thanks, man. I'll probably do just that.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

The higher price of the WOA might also come with a higher chance that it will meet your expectations. After all, WOA has built a strong reputation over time.

The other barrel may or may not meet your needs. If it doesn't, how confident are you that their warranty will be honored in a timely fashion? How much aggravation will you experience if it doesn't work out?

Consider your time, effort, cost of ammo to test, amount of mods made to the barrel (melanite, fluting, etc), and how willing you'll be to go through the whole process again for an identical warranty-replacement barrel.

If the primary goal is to save money, get the cheaper barrel. If the primary goal is to get it right the first time, the more expensive barrel might be the better choice.
          Drifter

Comment

• D.Davis
            Warrior
            • Sep 2013

Cory, I have a WOA barrel in a national match rifle I built. shoots amazing groups with Irons. I was more than satisfied. Dave.

Comment

Working...
            X