• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

THIS Is the Dedicated 65G Bullet I Want

Gentlemen, Fanatics, and Unwashed Barbarians, I've stayed up late to make a proposal for a dedicated 6.5 Grendel projectile that's been simmering in my feverish brain for a while now.

I believe it was LRRPF52 who first proposed such a projectile about a year ago, and I've spent some time fleshing it out.

Take a look at the attached PDF and let me know what you think.

If you can get enthused about the idea, feel free to lobby your favorite ammo manufacturer or bullet maker!

Heck, I'll figure out how to do it if no one else will!

THIS is the dedicated 6.5 Grendel bullet I want for hunting, home defense, and tactical.
    Attached Files
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
  • KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

This is very like what I have been dreaming of for a while as well. I thought an aluminum core would be required to get the kind of aerodynamics that would be satisfactory, but solid copper might be a good idea too. I was thinking still lighter and more in the ballpark of 85gr to have the ultimate in low drag, and never ever have too much penetration. But, this idea might just be what I was hoping for. : )

Comment

• olde sarge
      Warrior
      • May 2014

HANKA, I don't know a thing about building bullets but it seems to my feeble mind that it would be good. I do wonder though if the shortened boat tail and the long nose would tend to make it tumble on penetration. Great idea to toss around.

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

That would be a dream, especially if we could get it to expand well at Grendel velocities!
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Looks good to me, John. I reckon Barnes would be the obvious choice to "pitch" it to.

Comment

• Zapp
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
            If you can get enthused about the idea, feel free to lobby your favorite ammo manufacturer or bullet maker!

Heck, I'll figure out how to do it if no one else will!
            If the ammo manufacturer doesn't seem interested, money talks. They may not be interested in trying to market it. But if you offer to buy them, all that should be required is just for you to put together a large enough order.

Comment

• Dogue
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Has Barnes ever heard anything from the ATF regarding their banded solids being considered 'armor piercing'? That could put a damper on things and I'm not sure who would touch this if not.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

If that doesn't happen, I'd be happy with one of these:

With a boat tail added in the 115gr-123gr range.
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Looks like the bullet sneaky may have been working on. I think your on to something here if it can become a reality.

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dogue View Post
                    Has Barnes ever heard anything from the ATF regarding their banded solids being considered 'armor piercing'? That could put a damper on things and I'm not sure who would touch this if not.
                    This proposal is not a brass solid bullet that the ATF would classify as armor piercing. It is an expanding bullet made of copper.

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                      This proposal is not a brass solid bullet that the ATF would classify as armor piercing. It is an expanding bullet made of copper.

With a good BC, that would be nasty! Especially if we can get it going 2700 fps from 16" barrels.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

Cory, I've never understood the specification of a very blunt, protected point bonded bullet in a combat weapon. I suppose distance is not the concern if you're using 8.5" SBRs for executive protection.

But for a multi-role tactical bonded bullet I'd try a 115-grain (just cuz 107 and 123 have been done to death!) in a Nosler Accubond LR.

BTW, if we got 2500 fps from Alex Arms factory load of the 100 Berger HPBT in a 10.5" SBR, I'd think we should see at least 2640 fps from the 100-grain class of bullets in 16" bbls.
                        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                          Cory, I've never understood the specification of a very blunt, protected point bonded bullet in a combat weapon. I suppose distance is not the concern if you're using 8.5" SBRs for executive protection.

But for a multi-role tactical bonded bullet I'd try a 115-grain (just cuz 107 and 123 have been done to death!) in a Nosler Accubond LR.

BTW, if we got 2500 fps from Alex Arms factory load of the 100 Berger HPBT in a 10.5" SBR, I'd think we should see at least 2640 fps from the 100-grain class of bullets in 16" bbls.
                          If money was no object, that's exactly what I would have suggest. I suggested the bonded performance, because it can be had at a better price and is still effective. From what I understand the bonded performance is a great barrier penetrator. That'd give the Grendel an option we don't currently have in a more economical package.

Comment

• jluck
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2013

There should be added political support with this concept too, With all the no-lead laws gaining traction this should be a no brainer. Call Randy directly at Barnes. I did talk with them (Barnes) about a similar options for the Grendel when I was there doing a facility tour a few weeks back, I even wondered about a hollow base boat tail to keep the length and have that tiny bit more powder capacity.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

Is a bonded bullet any better at barrier penetration than a thick-jacketed FMJ? Bonded bullets just cost more, or they did. The beauty of Federal's innovation with the Fusion is that they've brought the cost down on bonded performance.

But our Wolf 100 FMJ really is a wonderful, beautiful tactical bullet design (if you consider 5.45 7N6 a thing of beauty) with a gorgeous tangent ogive for its weight, if only it were manufactured to strict quality tolerances so it didn't shoot 4 MOA!

One can have a bonded core with a nice mushroom or a military FMJ yawing sideways ripping stuff up. I'd be happy either way.

Comment

Working...
                              X