• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
    Cory, I've never understood the specification of a very blunt, protected point bonded bullet in a combat weapon. I suppose distance is not the concern if you're using 8.5" SBRs for executive protection.
    Nor for home defense and law enforcement. In these uses, engagement distances will rarely be even as far as 100 yards, usually much less. A high-BC projectile isn't needed for gunfights at 5-50 yards.

Perhaps a flat-tipped bullet will expand more quickly than a pointed bullet, all other factors being equal? If so, that would seem desirable in close combat.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Is a bonded bullet any better at barrier penetration than a thick-jacketed FMJ?
      I don't know, but I think there are three questions that should be answered:

1. How do they compare in barrier penetration?
      2. How do they compare in terminal performance after defeating the barrier?

Plus:

3. How do they compare in terminal performance on an unprotected target?

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Is barrier penetration a significant priority for Grendel shooters?
        Drifter

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Largely academic for 99% of us. But Cory brought it up, and many of us are military buffs, hell, veterans!, and enjoy tossing these ideas around.

Mushrooming bonded bullets designed for deer hunting are being repurposed for tactical uses, and we find that interesting.

Wolf cheap FMJ for plinking also happens to be of the same design a combat FMJ would take for penetrating barriers AND yawing early in unprotected targets, and we also find that interesting.

I do think Barnes is pretty serious about offering their Tac-TX line to LE, so there's a real concern with barrier penetration there.

But I think you knew the answer before you asked?
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• wheelguner
            Warrior
            • Oct 2011

Hanka, you have piqued my interest. Any person in particular we should direct our correspondence to?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

I don't have any names in mind and don't have any inside tracks. I think we just need a wide and deep groundswell of demand to sort of seep into the manufacturer's consciousness. But I will certainly send my proposal to contacts I dig up at Barnes and Hornady. Barnes because they're a natural to do this project and Hornady because they've proven themselves friends of the 6.5 Grendel from the start.

Unfortunately, marketers at the major manufacturers have learned to roll their eyes when they detect yet another "gun forum campaign" inbound. Their fear is that it only represents a small, vocal faction of fanatics, and not truly a supportable quantity of market-wide demand. No executive wants to sink costs into a "hot" project only to find the market is actually very thin and no marketing manager wants to risk his reputation championing a project that never sells. Right?

We just need to keep after them so they know that the barbarian Horde of 6.5 Grendel aficionados likes to shoot and is not going anywhere, and is slowly growing with new mags, Wolf steel-case, etc. And as our capability grows with dedicated projectiles, more and more shooters will find a place for Grendel in their armories.

No other cartridge in the world today can pack the capability we can pack into a 25-round double-stack magazine in a common, industry-standard AR15. Either their bullets are too small or too big or their cases don't double stack or their BCs suck or they gotta use non-standard receivers or their cartridges just don't have a cool name. Our Cause is Just, our Cartridge is The Heat, we are Kings of our 1,000-yard Domain. Grendel on, baby.
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• lrgrendel
                Warrior
                • Jul 2013

Lapua 6.5 mm 140 grain Naturalis

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                Nor for home defense and law enforcement. In these uses, engagement distances will rarely be even as far as 100 yards, usually much less. A high-BC projectile isn't needed for gunfights at 5-50 yards.

Perhaps a flat-tipped bullet will expand more quickly than a pointed bullet, all other factors being equal? If so, that would seem desirable in close combat.
                Not an expert but wouldn't a 100 to 123 grain version of this do the job?
                Attached Files

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2013

. . . Our Cause is Just, our Cartridge is The Heat, we are Kings of our 1,000-yard Domain. Grendel on, baby.
                  Well-stated, Sir!

Comment

• Buster
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2012

Unfortunately, marketers at the major manufacturers have learned to roll their eyes when they detect yet another "gun forum campaign" inbound. Their fear is that it only represents a small, vocal faction of fanatics, and not truly a supportable quantity of market-wide demand.
                    If you want to further the Grendel cause with a Group Buy, put me down for 500 rounds..

Comment

• rasp65
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

Hanka Very interesting, can't wait to hear S1 wade in on this.

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Lapua 6.5 mm 140 grain Naturalis

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                        Not an expert but wouldn't a 100 to 123 grain version of this do the job?
                        Probably. But, I'm inclined to doubt that it would have anywhere near as much market appeal as a spitzer bullet.

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Looks pretty interesting John.

I'm curious as to what the B.C. would be, but either way--- What the heck. I'd be on board for 500 projectiles as well-- as long as they don't go too much over a buck a pop. Any cheaper, and I'd be in for a larger amount.

ETA: That's just for the first batch. If they turned out well, then I'd be down for many more than that.

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                          This proposal is not a brass solid bullet that the ATF would classify as armor piercing. It is an expanding bullet made of copper.

If the proposed 6.5 bullet would shroom like that down to a reasonably low velocity, then I'd be pretty darn happy.
                          Last edited by Variable; 09-19-2014, 10:26 PM.
                          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2012

Do you consider 1600(ish) fps a reasonably low velocity?

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                              Do you consider 1600(ish) fps a reasonably low velocity?
                              Yes. I'd accept that. If it had a G1 BC of at least .359, and launched with at least 2300fps out of a 10.5" tube, that'd get you to roughly 300 yards with a reasonable expectation of expansion. More is better, but that'd be fine with me.
                              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2012

It would be fine by me too. : )

So would a sawed off naturalis, but for different purposes.

Comment

Working...
                                X