X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WHITEBULL
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2013

Thank you. I new the relief cuts were a factor.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

If you compare the reloading data between Volume I and II of the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks, you will see a lot of loads for 95gr V-MAX ( a cup and core bullet), as well as GS Custom Solids with the thin drive bands. They use a lot faster powders with the GC Customs, but keep in mind that there is less bearing surface with the GS Customs than even the relief banded Lehigh's or Barnes.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Once this thread gets to 30 pages, I'll start Part 2, just to keep it manageable.

Found a good link on bullet design data (related to 6.8, but principles are valid for all calibers).

Speaking of 6.8, they've got a nice reason to gloat: Hornady is giving them OUR damn bullet in their 2015 line-up. But we're gonna get our 6.5mm equivalents with much better BCs and our monos are gonna both haul ass and kick ass!
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

G
          Originally posted by HANKA View Post
          Once this thread gets to 30 pages, I'll start Part 2, just to keep it manageable.

Found a good link on bullet design data (related to 6.8, but principles are valid for all calibers).

Speaking of 6.8, they've got a nice reason to gloat: Hornady is giving them OUR damn bullet in their 2015 line-up. But we're gonna get our 6.5mm equivalents with much better BCs and our monos are gonna both haul ass and kick ass!
          2550 FPS wont make the the 6.8 guys even turn their heads. That weight bullet from a Grendel should be in the 27-2800 FPS range, so I'm guessing the 6.8 guys won't buy.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I also think they have the BC listed wrong for that bullet.

They list: "Ballistic Coefficient (G1) .447"

But if you look at the 100gr. 6.8 GMX bullet it says: Ballistic Coefficient (G1) .310

The page you are looking for could not be located. We're sorry, but it appears the page you have requested is no longer available. Please check the URL and try again....
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Probably a copy and paste error while uploading the website info. Happens all the time. But with OUR 6.5mm GMX it WON'T be an error! Ha!
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                2550 FPS wont make the the 6.8 guys even turn their heads. That weight bullet from a Grendel should be in the 27-2800 FPS range, so I'm guessing the 6.8 guys won't buy.
                Just checked 68forums. They are indeed not much interested in the loaded ammo, due to the low muzzle velocity and high price.

However, there seems to be considerable interest in the 100gr GMX bullet itself.

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                  I also think they have the BC listed wrong for that bullet.

They list: Ballistic Coefficient (G1) .447

But if you look at the 100gr. 6.8 GMX bullet it says: Ballistic Coefficient (G1) .310
                  Yeah, 0.447 is obviously an error. That's nearly as high as the 0.460 BC listed for the 130gr GMX.

Regarding expansion, check this:

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                    Yeah, 0.447 is obviously an error. That's nearly as high as the 0.460 BC listed for the 130gr GMX.

Regarding expansion, check this:

Just my opinion--- I don't like three things about that bullet/loading.

1.) It sheds velocity too fast (BC), and should be faster to begin with.

2.) It needs a lower expansion threshold.

3.) I think copper would be better than brass because of it's ductility.

Fragments are okay for some things, but in this particular application I'd rather see it open up like the Barnes .30 cal. 110 TAC-TX and stay together.

Overall-- good, but I think it could be much better if it were tweaked.
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                      Just my opinion--- I don't like three things about that bullet/loading.

1.) It sheds velocity too fast (BC), and should be faster to begin with.

2.) It needs a lower expansion threshold.

3.) I think copper would be better than brass because of it's ductility.

Fragments are okay for some things, but in this particular application I'd rather see it open up like the Barnes .30 cal. 110 TAC-TX and stay together.

Overall-- good, but I think it could be much better if it were tweaked.
                      1.) A 6.5mm 100gr GMX would (obviously) have a higher BC, but I'd be surprised if factory ammo would have (16" bbl) MV higher than 2600 fps.

2.) The cavity looks to be of rather large diameter, so lower expansion may not be feasible, especially considering the possibly smaller diameter cavity of a .264" bullet.

3.) The GMX line is made of gilding metal. If you insist on copper, you may as well not waste time trying to get Hornady to make your wunder bullet, and instead concentrate solely on Barnes.

Comment

Working...
                      X