• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry in SD
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2011

Brownells 6.5 Grendel Barrel & Bolt sets

If this has been asked before I apologize as I looked and did not find it.

Been wanting to build a 6.5 Grendel for quite a while now but still can not seem to save up the needed funds (however I am working on it). I looking at Brownells I see they have listed 18" & 24" 6.5 Grendel Barrels that come with a Bolt. The details show a 5R Rifling with 1 in 8" Twist for the 24" Barrel much the same that Midway USA lists for their barrel(s).

What can the experts here tell me about the Brownells 6.5 Grendel Barrels?

Thanks

Larry
  • m796rider
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

This might help: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...k-at-Brownells

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Good to see they have 18" back in stock. I've seen two 18" barrels from Brownell's in 6.5 Grendel which were very good. I'm tempted to buy one even though I don't need it. If I didn't already have a 16" and 20" 6.5 Grendel I'd buy an 18 or 24 Brownell's 6.5 Grendel barrel.

Comment

• Larry in SD
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2011

Thanks guys

Comment

• Apparition
          Warrior
          • Jan 2014

I have both the 18 and the 24. The 18 is shooting sub moa but I haven't mounted the 24. They are very nice barrels for the money.

Did some comparison shooting this weekend with my Brownell's 18" Grendel. And I must say that I'm very impressed with this barrel. It is what I consider to be very accurate for a hunting barrel, which is what it is to me. I shot several different loads at 200yrds. The Temperature was 84 F, Humidity 72% and a 10mph wind.

Comment

• m796rider
            Warrior
            • Jul 2011

The Brownells 6.5 Grendel barrels can definitely shoot!

I just mounted up my 18" Brownells barrel yesterday, zeroed it, and shot a .729MOA 5-shot group at 100 yards using a messenger bag to support the rifle. Ammo was factory Hornady 123gr SST -- no problems feeding, shooting, or extracting, and primers looked good.

Comment

• lrgrendel
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Larry in SD View Post
              If this has been asked before I apologize as I looked and did not find it.

Been wanting to build a 6.5 Grendel for quite a while now but still can not seem to save up the needed funds (however I am working on it). I looking at Brownells I see they have listed 18" & 24" 6.5 Grendel Barrels that come with a Bolt. The details show a 5R Rifling with 1 in 8" Twist for the 24" Barrel much the same that Midway USA lists for their barrel(s)

What can the experts here tell me about the Brownells 6.5 Grendel Barrels?

Thanks

Larry
              What weight bullets would suit the 1/8 twist? I realize it has been asked before but.....

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

The 1:8 twist should handle 85 grain through 130 grain bullets in the 6.5 Grendel. I've seen test with 140 grains which were stabilized in 1:8 but had pretty low velocity around 2100 FPS IIRC.

Comment

• lamrith
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

I haven't seen it mentioned so far in the Brownells threads I have skimmed. What is the chamber on these? Saami, G2..?
                  Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                  18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                  SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                  16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                  Anderson Pistol lower:
                  16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                  6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• Captk
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2014

Do these barrels come with a bolt?

BTW, Brownells has free shipping on orders over $150 till 1/01/2015.
                    Browse all the Daily Deals on Guns, Ammo, Gun Parts, Optics, and Reloading products for over 2,000 Products + GREAT Customer Service at Brownells.

Ken
                    Last edited by Captk; 10-05-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Dave Bob
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Captk View Post
                      Do these barrels come with a bolt?

BTW, Brownells has free shipping on orders over $150 till 1/01/2015.
                      Browse all the Daily Deals on Guns, Ammo, Gun Parts, Optics, and Reloading products for over 2,000 Products + GREAT Customer Service at Brownells.

Ken
                      Yes

Dave

Comment

• lamrith
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

There are also coupons for:
                        Free shipping over $75 (domestic only)
                        $15 off orders $100+
                        7.5% off all orders
                        $50 off orders $300+(I went for last this one)

Google search "Brownells discount code" I chose second link to www.promocode4share.com
                        Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                        18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                        SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                        16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                        Anderson Pistol lower:
                        16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                        6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• Captk
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2014

Do the barrel and bolt combo need to have the head space checked? Putting together a list of parts for my build, my previous AR's came assembled so I never needed to check head space.
                          Thanks, Ken

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Captk View Post
                            Do the barrel and bolt combo need to have the head space checked? Putting together a list of parts for my build, my previous AR's came assembled so I never needed to check head space.
                            Thanks, Ken

No, the purpose of selling the barrel and bolt together is to ensure you have the correct head space. My Silen and my two Friends Brownell's each came with a bolt and were GTG. Their two Brownell's barrels have been good shooters. One was getting MOA to 900 meters on the Ft Campbell range. Needless to say he was esstatic.

Comment

• TacBlade
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jul 2014

Well, I read this post and bought a barrel from Brownell's!!! Thanks guys, my wife is going to be Pissed Off!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X