• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wilecoyote
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Finally got to shoot some of my reloads

After getting my press/bench set back up I was finally able to get some ammo worked up. I still have a long way to go in dialing in a pet load but that is the fun part.

I used some once fired Hornady brass, WSR primers, AR-Comp powder and Barnes 120 grn TTSX pills. The charge varied between 25-26 grns of AR-Comp. I intend to tweak around in this range for a while and see what I get. In addition, I am going to play with the seating depth a little more after I take some more accurate measurements.

Overall the grouping was not bad and no real pressure signs. The primers were not flattening out anywhere near what the Hornady 123 grn SST factory ammo was. I liked how much/well the AR-Comp filled the case. I will work on more tonight for a range trip tomorrow.

This just confirms my liking of this caliber even more. I have my Seekins lower now and a Geiselle SSA-E on the way, so the rifle itself is even closer to being what I consider finished for me. The next project already has me with parts in hand and how I want it to turn out.

Thanks to all on this forum for the advice on loading and the platform in general
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

WC I have found that my Grendel likes AR-Comp as well. There is on trick you can do to get more case volume and that is to pull off the plastic tip.

Comment

• wilecoyote
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Thanks rasp65, I will keep that in mind. I could probably go another half grain or so with no issues. I was just impressed with the moderate loads. I need to get a chrony... Pain part is shooting is a great hobby, but it ends up costing. My cars are the other hobby and they cost... So I end up bouncing back and forth between them.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

rasp, u so meen ! Dan gerous mean!

Comment

• rasp65
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

In fact I heard that if you remove the tip and drill a small hole from outside the bullet into the cavity the will whistle while they work. Like when a Stuka dive bomber is heading your way.

Comment

• ruger
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2015

Now that is a superb analogy

Comment

Working...
            X