• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Ammunition Availability Updates

For those interested in a harder-hitting cartridge from the AR15, and those who have already seen the light, I wanted to point out the ammo availability market. There are a ton of options, loads, and sources for 6.5 Grendel ranging from plinker prices, economy brass-cased, quality brass-cased, to premium ammo prices.

Just a few of the over 30 different factory load examples:

Steel case: $7.99/20 or 500rds / $180

Economy brass-cased multi-purpose target and hunting Prvi Partizan load: $15.50/20

Hornady 123gr A-MAX factory quality target/hunting load: $18.60

Hornady 123gr SST hunting/target load: $18.99

Premium Lapua brass cases hunting ammo, Barnes 100gr TTSX: $110/50rds

Premium 130gr Swift Scirocco II hunting load: $37.79/20

Various quality target and hunting loads can be found all over the place.

Ammo Seek 6.5 Grendel 59 hits

Gunbot 6.5 Grendel 21 hits

Precision Firearms Lapua Brass Cased 6.5 Grendel 21 loads

Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel Ammo 8 loads
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    For those interested in a harder-hitting cartridge from the AR15, and those who have already seen the light, I wanted to point out the ammo availability market. There are a ton of options, loads, and sources for 6.5 Grendel...
    Paul, I know you really like the cartridge, but I must say I think you're vastly overstating the case. In my book, two major and two minor brands hardly qualifies as "a ton of sources" for Grendel ammo.
    Just a few of the over 30 different factory load examples:

Steel case: $7.99/20 or 500rds / $180

Economy brass-cased multi-purpose target and hunting Prvi Partizan load: $15.50/20
    Wolf steel-case ammo is not currently available.

Judging by comments in this forum and on arfcom, Wolf MPT ammo appears to be pretty much unavailable. The AA site lists it, but do they actually have any in stock?

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
      Paul, I know you really like the cartridge, but I must say I think you're vastly overstating the case. In my book, two major and two minor brands hardly qualifies as "a ton of sources" for Grendel ammo.

Wolf steel-case ammo is not currently available.

Judging by comments in this forum and on arfcom, Wolf MPT ammo appears to be pretty much unavailable. The AA site lists it, but do they actually have any in stock?
      Steel case and MPT is at least as available as .22 ammo! I've been able to buy cases of both of them since I've been able to buy cases of .22 (That would have been 01/2013 the last time!).

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        Steel case and MPT is at least as available as .22 ammo! I've been able to buy cases of both of them since I've been able to buy cases of .22 (That would have been 01/2013 the last time!).
        I know naught of .22 ammo availability, but what I recall reading in the steel-case ammo thread is that the first shipment sold out quickly, and another shipment is not expected before November.

Which equals "not currently available," no?

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
          I know naught of .22 ammo availability, but what I recall reading in the steel-case ammo thread is that the first shipment sold out quickly, and another shipment is not expected before November.

Which equals "not currently available," no?
          I guess it can be defined that way, though "current" is beginning to be a much different word than it used to be! .22 has been unobtanium for nearly 2 years, and the shooting sports are having severe issues because of it. Appleseed groups, classes, Boy Scout groups, collegiate small bore teams, all are begging for it. Its a much bigger problem than the intermittant supplies of our favorite cartridge!

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

The point of the thread was to show that there are currently dozens of sources of ammo from different vendors online, with the price spread indicated. There is no reason for anyone to say they can't find 6.5 Grendel, or that it is of limited availability. It was meant to be a helpful thread for anyone looking for ammo.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lrgrendel
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

Helpful thread thanks.
              Didn't know you could get rounds for $7.99/20.

Would be handy for friends or relatives to shoot so I don't have to waist time and precious resources.

What is the make and maybe some sources I could try looking at?
              What about steel cases in my precious Grendel?? Not trying to hijack the thread sorry.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                Helpful thread thanks.

Would be handy for friends or relatives to shoot so I don't have to waist time and precious resources.

The brand is Wolf. Made in Russia by Barnaul. The first shipment sold out, so right now you can't get any.

However, Alexander Arms expects another shipment in November, and is apparently taking orders.

Comment

• Drifter
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                  Helpful thread thanks.

What about steel cases in my precious Grendel?? Not trying to hijack the thread sorry.
                  Check the EE section of this forum, as I think I saw some offered for sale and / or trade.
                  Drifter

Comment

• keystone183
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                    I guess it can be defined that way, though "current" is beginning to be a much different word than it used to be! .22 has been unobtanium for nearly 2 years, and the shooting sports are having severe issues because of it. Appleseed groups, classes, Boy Scout groups, collegiate small bore teams, all are begging for it. Its a much bigger problem than the intermittant supplies of our favorite cartridge!
                    Just FYI.....send them to http://gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/. You can buy cases and cases all day long.....

Comment

• dammitman
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2012

only people cant find ammo have no computer or access to the internet.,,,,or they just are not really trying.
                      Last edited by dammitman; 09-29-2014, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Ammoseek now has 70 hits with Hornady SST at $18.30/20
                        Gunbot has 24 hits

More options than any of us could shoot through before hunting season, that's for sure.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dammitman
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2012

i gto an notification today from bigsupplyshop.com and they had the hornady 123 sst for 17.77 per box. they didnt have much and its gone now but i bet they get more. its pretty close in price by the time i get all the fees and shipping added in though to selways price so i will just buy from them.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Selway has 123gr SST for $17.99/box of 20. I've ordered from the before. They are good to go, and fast on shipping. Last time I ordered, it was there before I could even sign out of their website...crazy, like they knew.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lamrith
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

Palmetto still shows stock

Hornady Match 6.5 Grendel 123gr A-MAX 20rds 8150 Not any great deal, but they have it in stock @ $19.99/box
                              Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                              18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                              SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                              16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                              Anderson Pistol lower:
                              16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                              6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

Working...
                              X