• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tombo
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2014

Reloading 6.5 Grendel with H-335, opinions

I am new to Grendel reloading, and would like group opinions on the success of using H-335 as a propellant. H-335 is a powder I have used with great success in reloading 5.56. I only have 1 reloading book with Grendel recipes, and have downloaded the recipes from this forum, and both have H-335 recipes. Any comments are appreciated.
  • Joseph5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Use the Google search that has a link in the AR/other semi auto forum. There is a lot of post for loads put together with H335. I know PA Allen has done a lot of load development with it. I have a pound but haven't tried it.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I use H-335 with 100 grain bullets and has proven accurate and clean burning in my 16" 6.5 Grendel. I have used 29.0 grains, CCI 450 primers with Sierra 100 grain Varmint and Nosler 100 grain Ballistic Tip hunting bullet. I'm going to try H-335 with 107 grain SMK. I'm not after screaming velocity but this load functions and is plenty accurate for varmints. For heavier 120-125 grain bullets I'm using CFE 223 powder.

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

There's a bunch of H335 data in the Grendel reloading handbook. You can find links to it by doing a search for "6.5 Grendel Reoloadin Handbook" in this forum or through Google.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Tombo
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2014

That Sierra 100 gr. recipe looks like a good one. I have all the material I need to try that one. Thank you, and I will post the results once I've tried it. I'm not looking for screaming velocity either, and am more into the accurate target loads.

Comment

• ramslammer
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2014

G'Day
            I wouldn't hesitate, just buy the Grendel reloading handbooks. They are filled with worthwhile info and make a good starting point for sourcing loads, etc.
            Juddy

Comment

• K280
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2014

I use 28 grains with the PPU mpt and shoot under 1/2" groups. That is with the PPU brass and Tula lrp at 2.20".

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

If you look at the pressure data for H335, it's one of the most efficient and versatile powders for 6.5 Grendel. Since it's a ball powder, I would want to know its temp stability characteristics for the region I lived in. If you use a powder dispenser in your set up, it will meter great for you.

Looking at Hodgdon's data (pages 49 and 50) in Volume I of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, you can see that pressures are relatively low, while velocities are some of the highest across 85gr through 123gr bullet weights, which is evidence of its efficiency.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dammitman
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2012

what is the temp stability for this powder? i wonder what anyone knows how far the changes are from say 80 degrees to say 25 degrees?

Comment

• TacBlade
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2014

I have heard H335 is temp sensitive, so I have been using Varget in my .223. Would Varget work in the 6.5G?

Comment

• Drifter
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TacBlade View Post
                      Would Varget work in the 6.5G?
                      Varget can produce very accurate loads in the Grendel, but velocity is somewhat slow.
                      Drifter

Comment

• TacBlade
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2014

What are most here using for powder? I have a ton of H335 and Varget?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

A fellow 6.5 Grendel shooter and I have been using CFE 223 powder with 123 match bullets. Previously he used Accurate 2520 but lately has not found any to buy. Other popular powders are IMR8208XBR, AR Comp, Levrevolution and I like Accurate 2230/Exterminator for lighter bullets. Another friend has gotten good loads with BLC2 and I have used TAC and Winchester 748.

Highest velocities seem to come from the CFE 223 and Levrevolution from what test I've read.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by TacBlade View Post
                            What are most here using for powder? I have a ton of H335 and Varget?
                            There are hundreds of loads in the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, as well as other pertinent information. If you are a hand loader and own this cartridge, they are an invaluable resource for your desk or bench.

Even as a co-author of them both, I refer to them all the time, and learn more when studying the pressure data from big industry companies like Hodgdon's when looking at powder efficiency and projectile weights.

CFE223 is one of my go-to powders now because of the work of Bwild97. I am getting ready to do some load development with N530, which is one of the powders that worked really well for Lapua when they did their testing. Speed from CFE is excellent, as is accuracy for me.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Wheelhorse
                              Warrior
                              • May 2014

N133 here.
                              It's cleaner than anything I've found and gives great accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                              X