• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

205 Yard Boar

Sorry, no video this time. Usually before I start my hunts, I check over all my gear to make sure everything is just so, including everything having fresh batteries, wires connected, mag topped off, etc. I rolled into the property (TBR) expecting to be there all night and waiting on the sounder that had been coming in the mornings (and I did wait all night and the sounder never came). I am sure you all have your normal routines as well. You pull in, gear up, check everything, and then head out. Well, the owner of the property, Mr. TBR had told me on the way up that he smelled hogs and so I knew it was possible I might see hogs when I pulled in and so I was scanning with my thermal scope on the long drive up from the road to the house/garage/shop area. I was to meet Mr. TBR in the shop before starting to hunt. He was repairing one of the stands.

Anyway, about 150 yards from the house, I was able to see a hog under the feeder that was about 300 yards off to my east. I quickly grabbed my rifle, shooting sticks, and muffs and quietly left the truck and headed to the shop to get Mr. TBR. When I told him that he had a hog under the feeder (thinking he might want to shoot it), he gave me this incredulous look and said, "Go shoot it!" Seeing my shooting sticks, he told me just to use the archery target hay bales for a rest, which I did.

In the process of getting in a hurry, I forgot to hook up the video cable, hence no video.

Turns out, hay bales are rather itchy and pokey and getting situated on the bale was not what I expected. I finally got settled and the hog was still under the feeder. I lined up my shot, waited for him to change direction slightly, snicked off the safety, and took the slack out of the trigger. He turned and I added a bit of elevation to my hold to compensate for drop and finished the trigger pull. Boommm-thwack! And he went down right there under the feeder.

I watched him for a bit and when it was apparent he wasn't getting up, I put the safety back on and stood and turned to go back to the shop to tell Mr. TBR that we had a hog down and he had been standing right behind me! Scared me to death. He had a beer in his hand and was enjoying the show. He said, "Man, that thing sure puts'em down."

He fetched the cart while I walked down and checked on the hog. As it was still alive, I put a second round into him to finish the job. The first shot had spined the hog nicely, a tad higher than I had intended, but a good shot. The hog did not appear to be conscious, but was breathing before I finished him.

Here are a couple of pics of the hog and of the shooting location. It was about 9:30 at night when I made the shot. It is actually a pretty neat setup that Mr. and Mrs. TBR have used previously to shoot animals under the feeder from the hay bales or even their house. The feeder is backed by the back of a water retention dam which is a perfect backstop for errant shots.

Still using an Alexander Arms Grendel upper on LMT lower
    Hornady SST 123 gr. amo
    The boar was 165 lbs.
    The distance between the hay bales and the feeder is 205 yards.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

That there is a nice hog!! No Curly shuffle???, oh well I will just think about it!! Thanks for posting. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• usmc1371
      Warrior
      • Aug 2011

Keep up the good work.

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Good work double naught! I likes to see hogs go down

Richard
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Another good one Double Naught.

Keep 'a slayin 'em!
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• wheelguner
            Warrior
            • Oct 2011

Double Naught,
            What brand of shell catcher are you using? Nice pig.

Comment

• burkew23
              Warrior
              • May 2013

Good story, I chuckled! He would've scared the crap out me too.

Comment

• jawbone
                Warrior
                • Jan 2012

an absolutely 00Spy worthy story. didn't even need a vid with that one. loved it. thanks again.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

wheelguner, that is the basic model (standard issue) of brass catcher from Tactical Brass Recovery http://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/

It attaches to a side picatinny rail and is mostly made of kydex. These are pricey brass catchers, but the thing works VERY WELL. I have used it on .308 down to .22.

Aside from functioning well, what is cool about it is that the top, perforated panel you see in the image folds out to open up the catcher and to hold the bag open, but the catcher works with the panel down, but not as reliably. The catch bag does NOT melt and spent brass does not get stuck in it. It has a large mouth for catching brass and does not induce stovepipes.

This is my 4th brass catcher and the only one I feel that has worked like brass catchers should work.
                  Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                  My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Great story and pictures. You have a sweet set up and place to hunt pigs. I agree with Slappy, that is a nice hog. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                    X