• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tombo
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2014

reloading with 7.62x39 reformed brass

I recently purchased some Arsenal #10 once fired boxer 7.62x39, and reformed it to 6.5 Grendel using a Lee resizing die.. Using starting loads found in the Hogdon and forum reloading tables, I loaded 20 95 gr. A Max, 20 Sierra 100 gr. fmj hp, 20 Hornady 120 gr. A-Max, and 20 140 gr. hornady A-Max. I got the best accuracy from the 95 gr. and 100 gr. bullets, although the 120 and 140 were both within 1.5 MOA. Considering that these were experimental fire forming loads, I was not unhappy with the results.
  • arizona98tj
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2013

Before you were checking for accuracy, did you fireform the brass? While I've not reloaded formed AK brass, I understand you fireform it first with a light charge and bullet before you start working up a load that counts.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

+1

This practical advice applies to both new native cases, as well as reformed cases. I recently discovered my pre-fireformed loads were shooting at different velocities than the same load in post-fireformed cases. Save yourself some time and trouble and work up your accuracy loads with what you intend to shoot - in this instance, reloaded cases.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Dezynco
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2013

I've been using Winchester 7.62x39 brass for "plinking" loads. I fireform them by loading about 2 grains under MINIMUM charge to keep pressure down. I'm getting 1.5" groups with 120 Speer SP's using Benchmark. Just keep the loads WAY down just in case. After they are fireformed you can start working up a heavier load.

Comment

Working...
        X