• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam Lilja
    Warrior
    • Dec 2013

Original Lilja GB Range Day

Hi,

This is the first cartridge I've reloaded for, ever. I think I'm addicted now.

Did a round robin ladder test at 200 yds with 5 different charges. After round one I checked my velocities and about had a panic attack at what I saw. My lowest charge was the highest velocity by like 400 FPS so shooting the next two rounds I'm quite sure I was flinching and moving expecting my face to be blown off at any minute. I was using my dads oldschool chronograph and I think that it just shit the bed because none of my velocities are consistent even in the same charge weights so I'm going to just disregard every piece of information I got from the darn thing.

I'm in the market for a new chrono so lay your opinions on me haha.

I wanted to get data using a M16 trigger group before I put in a hiperfire and see if I notice a difference and also collect info on my accuracy nodes. 27.7 gr of 8208 seemed to be the best at 200 yds but at 100 yds things seem a little less good, but most of that I think is me. Although my 27.3 seems to have done very well at 100. I'm going to reload more rounds and redo both tests (using more than two bullets at 100). I loaded only 5 rounds of each charge and shot 3 at 200 and 2 at 100 yds.

Also, I am using Lee reloading dies and notice that when seating my bullets they are normally right at 2.250 but sometimes I will get one that is a few thousands under or over on COAL, anyone know why that would be?

Conditions: 52 degrees and overcast, 0 wind.

COAL: 2.250
    PRIMER: FEDERAL 205M
    BRASS: NEW UNUSED HORNADY
    BULLET: 123 GR AMAX

• Adam Lilja
    Warrior
    • Dec 2013

Comment

• Adam Lilja
      Warrior
      • Dec 2013

Comment

• tackdriver
        Warrior
        • Feb 2013

Nice looking groups and rifle. What hand guard is on that rifle?

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Adam Lilja View Post
          Hi,

This is the first cartridge I've reloaded for, ever.

----Snip-----

Also, I am using Lee reloading dies and notice that when seating my bullets they are normally right at 2.250 but sometimes I will get one that is a few thousands under or over on COAL, anyone know why that would be?
          Since your seater stem is seating your bullets by their ogive (not the tip), and you are measuring your COAL from base to tip, there will occasionally be some variance. Bullets will usually vary slightly in length, but be more consistent in their measurement from base to a specific point on their ogive.

Lee dies: Get ready to be inundated with scorn for the Lee Grendel dies.LOL Some folks here hate them because they weren't very good dies in the past. They may have improved over the years. They did overwork the brass a bit too.
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• JASmith
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Adam Lilja View Post
            ...I'm in the market for a new chrono so lay your opinions on me...
            Magnetospeed is the way to go.

Only drawback is POI shifts because of the added mass out front and group size might not represent what one gets with a naked muzzle.
            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Some of us are getting hot and bothered thinking about this radar chrono too. It should be hitting the market soon...

Labradar is the world’s newest technology in obtaining projectile velocities of Rifles, Shotguns, Handguns, Pellet, BB, Bow & Arrows, Crossbows, Paintball.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Fabricating a sun shield for the sky screens on your chronograph might help. Might not hurt to clean the light sensors with a Q-Tip or lense brush. Chronograph's can be temperamental when it comes to bright overcast and angle to the muzzle.

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                  Some of us are getting hot and bothered thinking about this radar chrono too. It should be hitting the market soon...

http://mylabradar.com/
                  I'm as excited as everyone else, but I'm beginning to doubt we ever see it come to fruition.

I've started using a superchrono I picked up for cheap (thank God I didn't pay full price). At $100 and if you have access to a private range it'd be a good buy. It really needs the bluetooth option that never happened. You have to walk out to chrono to get any data. That and the thing EATS batteries. It needs to come with solar panels.
                  Last edited by cory; 09-28-2014, 02:12 PM.
                  "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                    I'm as excited as everyone else, but I'm beginning to doubt we ever see it come to fruition.
                    Well, it took a decade to get this:

In shrike years, the Labradar unit is still just a fetus.LOL I'll wait.
                    Last edited by Variable; 09-28-2014, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by tackdriver View Post
                      Nice looking groups and rifle. What hand guard is on that rifle?

Thanks, its from Unique ARs.

Comment

Working...
                      X