• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arnie
    Warrior
    • Nov 2013

Hornady factory load

Any one ever taken apart a Hornady 6.5 Grendel 123 SST load ?I had one mess up a few days ago and pulled it down to see what the powder and weight was .It looks like H414 to me .I compared it to BLC-2 ,H335 , H380 and a few others and it looks just like H414 at 29.3 gr. That powder seems a little slow compared to most posted loads .
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

i have been led to understand that the powder is not going to be anything that an individual can buy, it will be a made for hornady blend that is propietary. i will bet though that there is something real close but close is just that, close. its a better kept secret than the whereabouts of obamas real birth certificate.

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Dammitman is right.

Also, I tried H414 with the 129 grain Hornady SP. The powder is so slow that even filling the case won't give competitive velocities. So, the powder is not likely canister grade H414.

Nonetheless, working up a load using H414 with the 123 SST could prove interesting because some us have lots of that powder for other cartridges.

Looking forward to seeing posts with loads!
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• wheelguner
        Warrior
        • Oct 2011

Identifying a powder visually is not a good habit. I was working at a gun store when a guy strolled in and walked up to me and asked for some gun powder. I asked what kind and he reached in his pocket, pulled out a hand full and said give me some like this. I told him no way and he demanded that I let him behind the counter so he could open the cans himself and left muttering when I refused as politely as I could.

Comment

Working...
        X