• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hartj17
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2014

Austin Area (south) outdoor ranges

I would rather not hang out at Reds Gun range so I'm looking at finding a good outdoor range to visit regularly. Anyone have a good suggestions?
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Austin rifle club. Private. Don't know details about membership.

Best of the West. Not south, but 1000 yd range with good benches & good staff. Highly recommended.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• tango29
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2014

+1 on best of the west

Comment

• bigbear_98
        Warrior
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by tango29 View Post
        +1 on best of the west
        See if you can hit the golfballs at 750 and clay pigeons at 1000...

Comment

• hartj17
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by bigbear_98 View Post
          See if you can hit the golfballs at 750 and clay pigeons at 1000...
          might have to get a more powerful scope than the Leupold 3x9 to reach out there

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

You can reach the steel no problem with that glass. You just might not be able to see the small targets.
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• bigbear_98
              Warrior
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
              You can reach the steel no problem with that glass. You just might not be able to see the small targets.
              No doubt. They have some big steel down there. I can see the plates comfortably with my range finder and it is only 7 power.

Comment

• bigbear_98
                Warrior
                • Aug 2013

Here is a video I shot a while back through my spotting scope at Best of the West. The mirage was pretty heavy that day. You can be guaranteed to have noticeable wind of some sort there.

The big gongs are 20", the target all the way to the right is an 8"(you can see the dark spot on it where we were ringing it before). The one I hit is a 4". The one above everything on the berm is a golf ball. I Haven't been able to hit the golf ball at 1000 yet, but have hit the one at 750 with my 308 and Grendel.

I hit the 4" 3 or 4 times in a row with 178 amax's. The shot In the video is with my pet 175 sierra match king load. After that shot something changed downrange and I couldn't hit it again.

Last edited by bigbear_98; 10-04-2014, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• bigbear_98
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2013

North Austin also has eagle peak (I think they shoot out to 300?) and Astro village. For just south of Austin there is hays shooting range near Kyle and Lonestar near Lockhart. I've never been to either so have no comment on them.

I've shot at eagle peak and Astro, but I spend all of my range time at best of the west and Austin rifle club.

Austin gun club near lampasas is where accuracy first has some of their classes. Targets at every 100 yards to 1200 and a target at 1 mile. The range is a private range though and is expensive.

If you wanted to get into competition of any kind (Idpa, Uspsa, steel challenge, 3 gun, bench rest, high power, silhouette, f class), there is some type of match every weekend of some sort within 2 hours. I think lately Alsppc is doing evening steel matches.
                  When I was at the peak of my shooting Uspsa I could shoot 2 matches every weekend, and 1 evening match (steel or bowling pin) every other Tuesday.
                  Last edited by bigbear_98; 10-06-2014, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• hartj17
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2014

great info guys.. thank you for all your help!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X