• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim_bob
    Warrior
    • Jul 2014

SWFA 3-15 vs Burris XTR II 2-10 vs Vortex 2.5-10 FFP

I'm attempting to buy the best scope I'll probably ever own, to go on the best rifle I'll probably ever own. I have an 18" Grendel with a carbon fiber hand guard and an ACE ultralight stock, I'm trying to keep it as light as possible.

I'm trying to decide between:

SWFA 3-15x42
    Burris XTR II 2-10x42
    Vortex FFP 2.5-10x32

Which of these scopes is better?

Which is the best value?

Which would you purchase?

Would you purchase another scope in this price range (< $900)?

I will use it mostly for deer hunting, predator and varmint control. At some point I'd like to shoot some distance, but I've never shot more than 150 yards. (I've never had the need, I can bag deer all day at 10 - 100 yards.)

This is the most I've ever put into a rifle and will be the most I've ever put into a scope. Currently my best scopes are Nikon Monarch 3's in 2.5-10x42 mildot on a 300 blk and 4-16x42 BDC on a LR308.

Thank you for your time!
    SWFA 3-15x42
    0%
    Burris XTR II 2-10x42
    0%
    Vortex FFP 2.5-10x42
    0%
    Other
    0%
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

From what I have read if I had those three to choose from I would get the Vortex. People that have the Vortex product seem to like them. Good luck. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

The Vortex should be listed as a 2.5-10x32. I just got one from Scott at Liberty Optics in MT, and he was good to me as usual. Didn't charge shipping, and price was well below suggested retail.

It will be going on one of my 18" Grendel's. I've been using the 2.5-10x44 MRAD PST on my 16" Grendel for a long time now, including taking it out to 1200yds.

I bought a NightForce Unimount with 20 MOA cant for this tube and the 18" guns, since I ran out of elevation when shooting out past 1000yds. I think I'll be able to ring a 1500yd 22" gong regularly with the right set-up. I'm at higher altitude, so bullets fly flatter and farther up here in the lower atmospheric densities.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jim_bob
        Warrior
        • Jul 2014

Slappy and LRRPF52, I greatly appreciate your input. LRRPF52, thank you for the correction, the Vortex is 2.5-10x32. I'll look into the NightForce Unimount as well.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

You may want to do another poll. I voted other in favor of the vortex x32.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Blazin
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2013

Keep in mind the SWFA 3-15 was on sale for $560 on Black Friday 2013. Every year SWFA has an unbelievable Black Friday sale on their SS scopes...and it's next month.

Comment

• jim_bob
              Warrior
              • Jul 2014

Blazin, thanks for the tip on SWFA. Cory, I tried to edit the poll in order to correct the Vortex information, but was unable to figure out how to do it.

Comment

Working...
              X