• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bllade
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2014

Scope Mount options...

I'm getting ready to set up a lower to use on my new overwatch upper. In the process I am thinking about going to a Vortex Viper scope. On my other AR's I've been using larue removable mounts and have looked at The Vortex as well.
    My question is Do you use a removable mount, or do you feel they are more trouble then they are worth?
    What would you recommend for a good set of rings for a permanent mount?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I built a 20" upper for target shooting and I knew I wasn't going to put iron sights on this 6.5 Grendel. I have enough scopes for my rifles so I knew the Vortex Viper was going to stay on this 20" 6.5 Grendel. After a lot of research I bought the 30 MM Aadamount with the built in level. This is not a quick detach scope mount but it is very stout and finely machined. On my 16" 6.5 Grendel I have iron sights and switch between a red dot Vortex and a 3-9 Leupold scope. Decide how your going use your build and buy accordingly.

Comment

• Slappy
      Warrior
      • Feb 2014

If you are not going to be removing your scope then go with the set of good rings. There are many out there and a wide price range, less to go wrong with a good set of rings. I have Burris XHigh on both of mine because they are not heavy have a good bolt to anchor to the rail and six screws on each ring and have never had any troubles with them. The Viper should get you out to about 5 to 6 hundred yards before you run out of scope, (speaking from the Texas atmosphere) BANG BANG!!

Comment

• MKo
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2014

I like to keep things simple. Less moving parts equals less prone for failure. I've had my share on a ring sets not aligned, not repeatable quick-locking systems (changing zero), adapters failing etc... And if you are using muzzlebrake on heavy recoil rifle problems starts to build up.
        So I like to spend few extra $ for quality optics mounts. As quality I consider Accuracy International-mounts, Spurh-mounts, Nightforce-mounts. Between these AI is most affordable costing less than 200$. Not quick-detachable but when you take it off and put back on it'll keep zero (if rails are clean).
        my 0,02$
        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• lrgrendel
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          I built a 20" upper for target shooting and I knew I wasn't going to put iron sights on this 6.5 Grendel. I have enough scopes for my rifles so I knew the Vortex Viper was going to stay on this 20" 6.5 Grendel. After a lot of research I bought the 30 MM Aadamount with the built in level. This is not a quick detach scope mount but it is very stout and finely machined. On my 16" 6.5 Grendel I have iron sights and switch between a red dot Vortex and a 3-9 Leupold scope. Decide how your going use your build and buy accordingly.
          I will second the Aadmount. Rock solid. Unlimited warranty. Only thing the "level" is very hard to see in low light conditions and you have to take your head "off" the scope to see it. Great mount if you don't care about the level.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

What I have experienced with QD mounts is that when they are properly tightened, there isn't anything "quick" about removing them, and I use 550 cord or a rag to wrap around the levers to get them to budge free from the closed position. That's been true for me with both LaRue and the ADM mounts.

I just went ahead and got a NightForce Unimount with 20 MOA cant for my latest project. The AAD Mount is also an excellent unit with a lot of clamping force distributed over multiple fasteners.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Vmaxed
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2014

I am a big fan of the ADM. With that said I just can't get a set of rings to work on an AR15 and have to go with a cantilever mount. The only downside I see (and this is totally my opinion and preference) is the "vertical" rings of the ADM mount. I wish they were "horizontal".

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                What I have experienced with QD mounts is that when they are properly tightened, there isn't anything "quick" about removing them, and I use 550 cord or a rag to wrap around the levers to get them to budge free from the closed position. That's been true for me with both LaRue and the ADM mounts.
                I'll bet that a Bobro mount would change your mind regarding QD mounts.
                Drifter

Comment

Working...
                X