• Show
Clear All
  • Nitro6.5
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2014

Nitro's first build

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
    Welcome to the Horde, Nitro.

This being your first build, allow me, if I may, to suggest that you take your time and select the appropriate components with care. You do, after all, wish this to be a rifle you can enjoy for a long time. Without getting into specifics, just let me say that there are two adages that seem to echo from most builders: "By cheap, buy twice", and its corollary; "Buy once, cry once.". These apply literally to all aspects of the build.

From the looks of your upper, a heavy slick side, you should be gtg for any barrel profile you wish, although this upper is likely best suited for a heavier barrel configuration.

Once you post a little more info (intended use, budget, etc.) I am certain the Horde will make itself available for any advice you seek.

Again, Welcome!
    My goal is a good target shooter. Not hunting.

This is what I ordered so far. I expect the comments good and bad. My mistake was not joining this forum first I imagine?
    This is what I have so far:

ALG DEFENSE ACT (ADVANCED TRIGGER GROUP) 6.5 lbs NICKEL BORON GEISSELE TUNED

Samson Evolution Forearm Black 2x 2" Rail Kit .223 Rem 15" EVOLUTION-15

Mako FAB Defense GL-MAG Black Rifle Stock Built-in 10 Round Mag Carrier

Lower Receiver Parts Kit/6-position Stock Kit (MAGPUL, MADE IN USA)

Made In The USA Rifle Length Gas Tube Stainless Steel+ Mini Gas block w/Roll Pin

The lower I was planning to go with a local machinist that offers the jig and lower together?

Upper Receivers as pictured ▶
    DPMS Upper Receiver Stripped AR-15 Hi-Rider Flat-Top Matte

I was planning to purchase the following:

AR-Stoner Barrel and Bolt AR-15 6.5 Grendel (Grendel II Chamber) Medium Contour 1 in 8" Twist 24" Stainless Steel

AR-Stoner Heli-Port Muzzle Brake 9/16"-24 Thread AR-15 6.5mm

MPI Auto BCG

And around January?
    Burris Eliminator III Laser Rangefinding Rifle Scope 3-12x-44mm X96 Reticle Matte

Recommendations?? or criticisms welcome
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Does the MPI BCG include the bolt? And, if so, is it a bolt sized for the 6.5 Grendel? I'm assuming your AR Stoner barrel comes with a bolt?
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

You may want to reconsider your optic, as you specifically mention that you are building a target rifle. That scope is purpose-built as a hunting scope, which means a thicker reticle than I personally prefer, especially for long range shooting. Small critters and 1" pasters at longer distances tend to hide very easily behind the reticle, if it subtends too much, making accurate shot placement challenging.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Nitro6.5
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
        Does the MPI BCG include the bolt? And, if so, is it a bolt sized for the 6.5 Grendel? I'm assuming your AR Stoner barrel comes with a bolt?
        I assumed it does it was recommended by a friend that did a 6.5 build? But Now that you mention it I will confirm before ordering it.
        Thanks.

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
        You may want to reconsider your optic, as you specifically mention that you are building a target rifle. That scope is purpose-built as a hunting scope, which means a thicker reticle than I personally prefer, especially for long range shooting. Small critters and 1" pasters at longer distances tend to hide very easily behind the reticle, if it subtends too much, making accurate shot placement challenging.
        Interesting? And this also was recommended . I have a while before making a choice. Suggestions?

Comment

• lamrith
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

I have heard very good things about this scope. I have never put hands or eyes on it myself though. Any input from the group on that as a optic for his build?

DetailsThis Primary Arms rifle scope is part of the SLx optics line. SLx optics have built a reputation for innovation, reliability, and value. All SLx optics undergo rigorous field-testing during development to best serve you in any environment.The Primary Arms 4-14x44mm rifle scope was the first step into first focal plane (FFP) optics and remains one of the most cost-effective options on the market. Having a reticle stay 'true' through the entire magnification range opens a world of possibility for hunters, marksman, and competitors everywhere. Add in "built like a tank" construction and a lifetime warranty, and it's easy to see why this scope is so popular.Features:Traditional MIL-DOT reticle can be used to accurately range and holdoverFirst Focal Plane reticle stays true at all magnificationsHigh strength aircraft grade aluminum bodySide-adjustable parallax and fast focus eye piece for crisp view of the target and reticle30mm main tube compatible with your favorite rings and mountsTactile and audible 1/10 MIL windage and elevation adjustmentsExposed tactical style turrets with Zero ResetShockproof, waterproof, and fog resistantParallax adjusts from 15 yards to infinity!Excellent glass clarityAt the heart of the 4-14x44mm rifle scope is the first focal plane MIL-DOT reticle. Properly matched with MIL/MIL turret adjustments, this traditional reticle in use by military forces in almost every country allows shooters to range and find their hold overs without being forced to use caliber specific BDC systems. Each dot is .25 MILs with a full MIL measured from the center of one dot to the next. For shooters who want a proven reticle with wide spread military acceptance, the MIL-DOT is perfect for you.A scope that won’t hold up to real world use won’t do any good, so they built the 4-14x44mm FFP tactical rifle scope to last with a heavy-duty aircraft grade 6063 aluminum body and 30mm main tube. Waterproof, shockproof, and fog resistant, this scope is perfectly at home on an AR-15 or your favorite hunting rifle. Even better, the MIL/MIL turrets track correctly through their full 17.5 MIL adjustment range, allowing for confident adjustments for shooters who prefer to count their clicks. With clear glass, heavy duty construction, and a true first focal plane reticle that can be leveraged at every magnification, the 4-14x44mm rifle scope from Primary Arms offers shooters a versatile and effective rifle scope, covered by a lifetime warranty!See More

The most popular and widely respected voice in America for your gun rights, breaking 2nd Amendment news, and everything else you need to know as a gun owner...
          Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
          18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
          SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
          16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
          Anderson Pistol lower:
          16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
          6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• Nitro6.5
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by lamrith View Post
            I have heard very good things about this scope. I have never put hands or eyes on it myself though. Any input from the group on that as a optic for his build?
            That seems to be an affordable starting scope? It may be on the x-mas list? Thanks

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I was in your shoes and I chose a different barrel. If your chasing accuracy in the AR-15 you want the best barrel you can afford. If your a novice hobbyist shooter like me the AR Stoner barrel might suffice. I bought a Shilen 20" barrel from Midway and I have been completely satisfied. The Stoner barrel is an off the rack lower grade of barrel in my opinion. Only you can decide if you can afford a match barrel that cost 2 or 3 times more than the stoner. You can buy the best trigger, scope/mount, stock and float tube but the barrel is the most critical part to accuracy. There is a reason an upper from Precision Firearms cost more, they produce consistent repeatable accuracy. At my age I can't even shoot as good as I used to but with my setup I still get to play. Kind of cool to put your dope into your scope and hit a steel target 1/2 mile away then wait to hear the clang.

Comment

• Kikn
                Warrior
                • Nov 2011

Looks like you have most everything planned out. Some others will most likely come in as well. And I'm sure most will recommend to stay away from the grendel 2 chamber as it does not have a compound throat and is not a Sammi spec chamber.

Comment

• Nitro6.5
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2014

I been slowly receiving the parts I ordered on my build list. I was a bit surprised as to the quality? I think I was expecting a little better? Well I suppose it is like building a model you need to do trimming, shaping,shaving and cleaning up before assembling?

I now have a renewed appreciation for finished retail product,(assembled gun) but still like the challenge of hopefully making something a little better?
                  Last edited by Nitro6.5; 10-07-2014, 02:29 AM.

Comment

• Nitro6.5
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2014

Still collecting parts for my project.

Here is my latest.

Comment

• Mountain Man
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2014

Slick BCG.
                      "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF? I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Comment

• Nitro6.5
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2014

I decided to get a Satern 20" threaded 5/8"24 for better muzzle brake options.
                        I liked the Roushch G2-S

Comment

• danm
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2014

Pretty

Comment

Working...
                          X