• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

got at least 4 pigs this morning....

This may be long...sorry

So I wake up hours before the crack of dawn to go deer hunting with the bow as it is still archery season. I get ready shower put on my gear and has off to my tripod. I very my vote down to the trail where the tripod is; and low and needful ❄ hear pigs right by the feeder a couple hundred yards away. Well it's still early so I go back to the truck and put the bow down and get the grendel. It's 5:45 feeder goes off 7 and to get to my spot you have to go past the feeder. Anyway, I stand on the trail facing the feeder and I now hear the pigs to my right is pitch black out so I just hold tight about 175 yards from the feeder and just wait surely they have to come to the feeder they are in the area...

Well, am hour goes by I hear the pigs just hanging out and the feeder had gone off already and day light is starting to break. It doesn't appear that the pigs are going to come to the feeder at all. Sooner have a good breeze and a very favorable head wind I walk in the direction of all the commotion. Which I believe them to be on a section that holds a bit of stagnant water.

I walk a hundred or do yards close to a clearing before the spot with the water and then I spot a pig black and white kind of small not the big pigs was hearing so I wait and look around. I spot a big of behind some brush 140 yards away I squat down to get a better look.

After spotting the pigs in the fields don't see the big one anymore and I have 4 smaller pigs playing around next to the neighbors fence. I watch the little guys play and they had a little fight. And suddenly two of them lined up somehow I resisted the urge to double up and waited some more.

The pigs have disappeared into a close by draw and I waited for them to pop back out it didn't seem like that was going to happen, and it didn't. So I still have a good wind I cut across the ditch and make it to the first tree going towards a natural spring.

I'm standing behind one of the smallest trees around and about 20 yards in front of me all the pigs pop out. I raise my gun and the big pig snorts and pushes one of the smaller pigs onto The open I take aim at the big guy and drop him like a sack of **** then proceed to open fire on the rest of the heard lucky for them only had 5 bullets....in the grendel... I shot high on one of the pigs and dropped two more one was a mercy kill.

I start to look at what I got with the big guy and I hear more squealing in the trees. I check the rifle and sure enough I'm out. I drop it on the ground and go in with my 10mm the pigs are on the run...

I try and beat them to the spot I know they are heading but I'm late. I see the trail and I know thru are heading for the fence line where they cross. I run over and look and I see in late again. They had already crossed so I fired two rounds by the fence my side and they stop and Co so I walk up closer to the fence line to get where they cross, they are little and confused...and they double back right in front of me about 30 yards one crosses and I miss a second one crosses and I miss the third one doesn't want to come back and hesitates. I take better aim and lead him just right and nail him I bit back then I hit him again still trying to run and get him two more times. Not sure if I got the other two I'm going to try and flush them out later today.....
    Attached Files
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

Dang man pigs down all over and you blew one UP!!! Nice story for the early morn!! Way to go. BANG BANG!!!

Comment

• Kikn
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

I found #5
      Attached Files

Comment

• Slappy
        Warrior
        • Feb 2014

Heck of a morning!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

You know, anybody can shoot a big hog. They are big targets. The truly skilled hunters can take the itty bitty hogs!

Nicely done!
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Kikn
            Warrior
            • Nov 2011

Lol ain't that the truth. A few years back out was about 2 or 3 am shooting a. 308 ar-10 NV about 35 yards across the stock tank. Down came a sow and some piglets when it was all said and done I had the sow and two of the smallest piglets I've ever seen. They were grape fruit sized and that. 308 did a number on them.

Comment

• 81police
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

shooting piglets is like trying to hit a football flying at 30mph! Great shooting I say!
              John 11:25-26

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Hog slaying sonofagun. What happened with the one who's anus blew out? What load are you using again?
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kikn
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2011

I totaled 7 pigs this last weekend. We ate what we could of the salvageable parts.

All shots were with my remaining factory 123 SST at ranges most likely shorter than my Pistol shot I estimate around 30 yards. Options on the rifle was Swfa 5-20-50 obviously on 5x kind of surprised got anything past the first shot it was in so tight.

Comment

• lamrith
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                    You know, anybody can shoot a big hog. They are big targets. The truly skilled hunters can take the itty bitty hogs!

Nicely done!
                    And with a pistol on the move.

WELL DONE!
                    Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                    18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                    SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                    16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                    Anderson Pistol lower:
                    16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                    6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• L615
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2014

Looks like you had the perfect weekend. As I cruise through the hunting related threads I find myself drooling a little bit over all the succesful hog hunts you guys have posted from TX. Kinda makes me want to buy a small tract of land down there just to shoot pigs on!

Comment

• Kikn
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2011

Well i finished off the two that got away that day....

I only got a picture of one of them. I was bow hunting this morning for a 10 point that didn't come in. I had a 8 big body short antlers. He aye all the corn. I waited until 9:30 or so and got down. A little bummed that I didn't see the deer I was after.

I said what the heck. Pigs have been showing up every morning and staying late at this other spot. So I drive over and walk directly into the sun and the wind. I get about 30 yards from the feeder and I see a pig behind the fence.

I walk around a thicket of trees to head him off. When I get there don't see him anywhere.

I look and look and I look back towards the fence where I saw him last to see if he went back into the trees. He wasn't in the trees, that stupid son of a sow decided to take a nap with his buddy right next to the pen.

So I lift up my rifle with my new elander mags that I have never shot and with it loaded full of wolf ammo that I had not sighted in yet. Open fire �� . The First One That I spot I Swore that I Missed. So I Shot Him Again As He Ran Away his Friend Made a Tragic mistake Of Looking Behind To See If his Buddy Is Following Him. And I shot Him As He Enters The Tree Line. I'm Pretty suse He Got The Gut shot As He Squealed Into The Distance. I go And Check On The First One He Made It About 15 yards and Agree Little Discovery he Had Two Bullet Holes That Entered Just Behind the Shoulder And Excited The Other Side Behind The Shoulder. Blood Everywhere.

The Other Pig I go And Track Him Down 100-125 yards Away. He Pops Up And Take Another Round.

So I Pretty Much Ended The Bloodline As These Were The Same Two Pigs From Earlier In The Story That Got Away....

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Hog genocide...you are guilty of!

+ 1000 points!
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kikn
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2011

Btw. I got my target buck that night as well. Pretty good day of hunting. I'll post up the story with pics and video later. Maybe mid week.

Comment

Working...
                            X