• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
    I'm not entirely excited about using brass. Am I mistaken in thinking it's more brittle than copper, or copper-zinc alloy? I think they WANT their brass projectiles to shatter, whereas I still believe in mushrooming. Thoughts?
    At first impression it looks like the bullet will break apart with wound potential like the older 55 gr m193 bullet yet continue through the shot median like a solid, creating an entrance and exit wound like I prefer for a hunting round. How this bullet would compare to a traditional mushrooming bullet would need real world testing before any conclusion could be obtained on its performance.
    Last edited by montana; 10-11-2014, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by montana View Post
      At first impression it looks like the bullet will break apart with the wound potential of the older 55 gr m193 bullet yet continue through the shot median like a solid, creating an entrance and exit wound like I prefer for a hunting round. How this bullet would compare to a traditional mushrooming bullet would need real world testing before any conclusion could be obtained.
      Concur with both Hanka and Montana.

This bullet should make a fine hog harvester, however, and looks inexpensive enough to eliminate excess p'dogs and bust the odd clay pigeon, and other plinking / practice targets.

I hope they come out with an 80 - 85 grain version in the very near future. If their presentation is accurate, the bullet might even do well on big deer. Even if our experiences prove otherwise, it will still make an excellent lead-free practice round.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
        At first impression it looks like the bullet will break apart with wound potential like the older 55 gr m193 bullet...
        I dunno. M193 yaws upon impact, and (at high impact velocities) the entire bullet disintegrates.

The Lehigh bullet appears very similar to Mk318 (below). No yaw after impact, the nose peels back and breaks off from the solid base, which drills straight through.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
          I'm not entirely excited about using brass. Am I mistaken in thinking it's more brittle than copper, or copper-zinc alloy? I think they WANT their brass projectiles to shatter, whereas I still believe in mushrooming. Thoughts?
          Wouldn't that depend upon the physical characteristics (size, weight, etc) of the critters you wish to shoot?

For example, I think most people would want mushrooming for moose, but explosive fragmentation for groundhogs.

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Just ordered 200. BC is listed as .374 G1, which is higher than a 100gr NBT. Gonna spit these out with a fast powder, since there are relief bands cut into the bearing surface.

Wish I would have seen the deal for 250 bullets for only $71.22.

Where did you see that deal?
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Grendel84
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
              Where did you see that deal?

eh what the hell, I just went ahead and bought some too
              Last edited by Grendel84; 10-12-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

L-52, are those brass -copper, or gilding metal? A tip would look good on those.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

They are brass. Mine should be here any time today.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Shown next to a 100gr TTSX:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Twitch24
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2014

Results after testing of the Lehigh bullets

What are you guys finding out after testing / shooting these bullets. Accurate? Would it be a good hunting bullet for whitetails? comments?? Thanks Twitch24

Comment

• Slappy
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2014

I still can not believe no one has tried Cutting Edge bullets yet??

I have 250 once fired brass and 200 123SSTs would any one like to strike up a deal?? I do not reload but willing to give these to someone for a few loaded rds out of the deal. (what would be fair)?? BANG BANG!!

Comment

• D.Davis
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2013

Slappy, PM sent, Dave.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I bought a 100 pk. , then Jas bought a few 100 , cnt. pkg's. - @ about the same time -weeks ago. ,,,, a 100 pkg. was sent to me, from Lehigh. Thru Jas., They must have held delivery back by a day, == 2 pkg's to same address from two buyers,,, Hmmm? A 100 came x 2.

He asked me for a few tweaks, on a few dozen of a certain wt. class , or two - of the Lehigh pills.

Just wait again gents, more Gel tests to follow on these cool leade in practice pills for the idea of a Perfect monolith pill.

Yes, I made a few lighter BRASS units up. They look good,, yet it's all on the expansion tests-soon to follow, thru the gels.
                            Last edited by sneaky one; 11-10-2014, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

The small follow up is- I sent some Le high Chaos pills in 78-82 grns. out west.. They came back as stable- with nice accuracy.
                              JAS., is trying to hold the pressures to around the 50 k mark in an 18" Encore single bbl. His tube is a tic shorty throated- not by much,.

Yet the pressures could be upped a tic with a small powder increase, to gain a ton of speed.

I need to send him some rL 7, so he can press. data check this all , before I release any data.
                              Interesting pill this is. Not close to my beloved GMx- yet, anything good, that we can all use is cool stuff !

JAS , also noticed that the brass pills -runs a tic higher pressures curve than copper stuff. = = back off a .4 to start up a load with the Le high Chaos pills.

We are only having fun , as messengers on these pills. We wanna keep the gang as safe as possible- on load data, as we find it.

Comment

• sneaky one
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X