X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

just to let you all know, the fine folks at Shilen called me yesterday informing me that it was repaired wit a new extension with 2 bolts headspaced and being returned. they had to remove a case from it. i have the bottom of the case. the cost was right as predicted and they told me it was in fine shape wearwise. i wonder though why that round blew up.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

What load were you shooting, by the way?
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dammitman
        Warrior
        • Dec 2012

it was a factory hornady amax bought from the newly opened cabellas, i have 2 boxes from them. i dont for a minute think it was some kinda bad ammo, but i really dont know what happened. maybe the bolt didnt fully close, i know all the bolts lugs were ripped off and it blew out the bottom of the magazine. i got pics but dont know how to post them.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dammitman View Post
          it was a factory hornady amax bought from the newly opened cabellas, i have 2 boxes from them. i dont for a minute think it was some kinda bad ammo, but i really dont know what happened. maybe the bolt didnt fully close, i know all the bolts lugs were ripped off and it blew out the bottom of the magazine. i got pics but dont know how to post them.
          DM:

It was an out of battery firing. Will be almost impossible to find out what caused it.

LR1955

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

If you saved any of the Hornady factory ammo you might test the velocity from another rifle to verify you didn't get a batch of bad ammo. I have seen factory ammo that was over pressured and if this is the case Hornady would need to be notified. I would manually load one round to make sure the bolt was in battery and test fire it over a chrono to check the ammo for excessive velocity or pressure just to put my mind at ease with the ammo. I would then check the fired case for excessive pressure signs. Then I would do a safety check with your rifle and make sure your disconnect was working properly. I have seen many AR rifles slam fire because of bad disconnects which can cause a catastrophic failure. Bolt bounce can also be a problem if your buffer, gas port size, recoil spring are not timed correctly.
            Last edited by montana; 10-18-2014, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• dammitman
              Warrior
              • Dec 2012

i will do that. i am going to be test firing my newest rifle today. i finally put together a rifle using the liberty barrel i recieved during that group buy. mine was short throated but i never sent it in. i have found that it passes the go/no go guages, chambers the new wolf ammo fine and i am going to break it in using that ammo in a very slow fire check and clean and see how it fares. i have a good feeling about it. i have built on a all new parts upper using prime parts (except the barrel). i have this idea that running 50-100 rounds thru it will enable it to chamber factory hornady ammo without sticking,,,,,its a theory. i am keeping the hornady amax ammo that was in use when my shilen barrel broke separate till i have time to fully evaluate it. i still feel like your right, it went off out of battery. i have aquired all new upper parts for that barrel to reassemble it when it comes home monday. my luck with this caliber has been questionable at best but i WILL NOT give up on it. hell, i have 2 rifles for it now!!!
              Last edited by dammitman; 10-18-2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

i will do that. i am going to be test firing my newest rifle today. i finally put together a rifle using the liberty barrel i recieved during that group buy. mine was short throated but i never sent it in. i have found that it passes the go/no go guages, chambers the new wolf ammo fine and i am going to break it in using that ammo in a very slow fire check and clean and see how it fares. i have a good feeling about it. i have built on a all new parts upper using prime parts (except the barrel). i have this idea that running 50-100 rounds thru it will enable it to chamber factory hornady ammo without sticking,,,,,its a theory. i am keeping the hornady amax ammo that was in use when my shilen barrel broke separate till i have time to fully evaluate it. i still feel like your right, it went off out of battery. i have aquired all new upper parts for that barrel to reassemble it when it comes home monday. my luck with this caliber has been questionable at best but i WILL NOT give up on it. hell, i have 2 rifles for it now!!!
                I never had anymore problems with my Grendel builds than with my 5.56 builds. If your barrel is short throated you could have pressure problems with certain bullets. Chamber your rounds manually and eject them manually. If you have bullets sticking in your barrel throat you have problems. I don't care to get into a debate over which throat is best or defective but I can tell you I have both types of barrels and have had zero issues with either. I have never had to "break in " my AR builds. They either run or they don't. Take your time, there is always a reason and a solution to fixing any problem with your AR build. A bad barrel needs to be fixed or replaced. I would never settle for a barrel that would chamber one factory load but not another.
                Last edited by montana; 10-18-2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X