• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

Muzzle devise for a Grendel SBR

So I'm getting a barrel from the group buy and i have been thinking about what muzzle device to get. I'm gonna get a Silencer as soon as i'm able to swing it. But it might be awhile.

So for those of you with SBR'd Grendels how much flash do you get and hows the muzzle rise? I'm gonna use it for Hunting, Home Defense and shooting paper/steel. I have thought about these devices

AAC Brakeout
    AAC Blackout
    Noveske Kx5

Plus I'm open to others opinions
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

I don't use one, just thread protector.

Personal preference I know, but I don't want a muzzle device influencing the gasses/flight of the bullet in any way. I use muzzle devices on other AR's but the Grendel is for precision. Also lessens the profile and weight slightly.

If you've had experience with heavier calibres you won't notice any difference. Perhaps for target re-acquisition in a CQB environment but you have to be immersed in that scene to care about a muzzle device.

If a suppressor is going to be your eventual muzzle device then a thread protector is worth considering in the interim.

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

The AAC Flash hider is on sale right now. I like it a lot.

I'd advise against a brake for home defense.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
        I'd advise against a brake for home defense.
        What?
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• TacBlade
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2014

I have a brand new KAK flashcan you can get from me cheap! I have tried everything, everything!!! out there on a pistol and the KAK was the best.

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
            What?
            The muzzle blast inside the house is going to be bad enough with an unsuppressed SBR. I certainly don't want it pointed back at me.
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

The muzzle blast inside the house is going to be bad enough with an unsuppressed SBR. I certainly don't want it pointed back at me.
              Still can't quite hear you...

(I've been in a house where a firearm discharged. Very loud, indeed.)
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Have experience with indoor CQB. You won't be concerned about noise and blast when the adrenalin is pumping. Just have 'eyes and ears' (protection) handy.

Linear brakes work if you want the blast and noise projected forward. Especially helpful with a noisy SBR and/or if you're working with other guys.

An added bonus with linear's is they don't need to be timed, which means you can use a split washer instead of a crush washer. You can do it up hand-tight and come time for cleaning take it off again to inspect and clean the crown. Not so important with SBR's but for long range accuracy it helps if you have access to the crown on a regular basis. With suppressors and other devices crud builds up quickly on the crown.

Comment

• am4966
                  Chieftain
                  • Jul 2014

I was thinking of this if i was going to go with a linear.

12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                  Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                  Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                    Have experience with indoor CQB. You won't be concerned about noise and blast when the adrenalin is pumping. Just have 'eyes and ears' (protection) handy.

Linear brakes work if you want the blast and noise projected forward. Especially helpful with a noisy SBR and/or if you're working with other guys.

An added bonus with linear's is they don't need to be timed, which means you can use a split washer instead of a crush washer. You can do it up hand-tight and come time for cleaning take it off again to inspect and clean the crown. Not so important with SBR's but for long range accuracy it helps if you have access to the crown on a regular basis. With suppressors and other devices crud builds up quickly on the crown.
                    With all due respect, Klem, adrenaline or not, hearing damage is forever. My 25 year-old case of double tinitus is testament to that. Granted, no indoor shooting is harmless without hearing protection, but even with both plugs and ear covers, a weapon with a brake discharged indoors is extraordinarily loud at the shooter's position. In real world situations, it is difficult to imagine taking the time to don eye pro and ear pro prior to dealing with an intruder.

Can I see asking myself if my ears will suffer, when the moment of truth arrives, and it's time to take the shot? No. But I can mitigate some of the ensuing damage by using a muzzle device, such as the linear comp you mention. The ones I own make a substantial difference in sound pressure levels at the shooting position, perhaps even over a "bare" muzzle. I suspect that the diffusing effect of the explosive gasses, coupled with their directing those gasses forward has something to do with that.

If money and weight were of no concern, though, a suppressor/moderator would be my first choice.

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Mate, I hear you (no pun intended).

Having done this for a living some time ago it was always double ear protection, until the boffins suggested sound pressure/damage can also be transmitted through the bones of the head. Another reason for wearing helmets. I do know of someone who developed mild epilepsy, the docs reckon from being too close to too many detonations. And the old Vietnam boys bemoan hearing loss from an era when ear protection was not as important, and eye protection non existent.

I stand by what I said. For that one time in your life where you might need to defend yourself and don't have ears on you won't be affected by your own sound generation. Yes, it will be loud, and you will have tinnitus later, but it won't stop anything and be the least of your worries.

My point is, why not have a set of electronic muffs and ballistic glasses next to your gun and vest? You say you won't have time to put these on but I say you probably will. Sure, reach for the gun first, belt or vest second, then pants, shoes and protection third...if you have time. Your gun won't be worth much if chips and debris from walls or the ground gets in your eyes. Nor will it be worth much once it runs out of that first mag. Take a few seconds to get your sh*t together. 'Don't run to your death'.

Hey, I use muzzle devices on all except my precision guns. But I still think they are non-critical.

Comment

Working...
                      X