• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Need Help with Background on a Breda 6.5x54 Mannlicher

My good friend located a Breda 1903/14 6.5x54 Mannlicher Shoenauer rifle.

In my preliminary research, it appears that these rifles were made under contract for another country, and Breda is an Italian arms company. It clearly has Breda 1927 stamped on the receiver, and the tag says 1903/14 6.5x54. It looks like this one:

It appears to have the Mannlicher Shoenauer style receiver, with internal rotary magazine. This one has clearly been sporterized, with a curved butterknife bolt handle that cycles very quickly and smoothly. It has this same cross logo on the top of the action:

It has a nice Monte Carlo stock with the cheek piece providing almost perfect sight alignment for me.

I've been looking for an actual Steyr 6.5x54 Mannlicher Shoenauer for a while now, since these rifles were some of the last of the golden age of rifle craftsmanship, designed by highly intelligent men, hand-fitted, with superbly articulating parts that are in a different realm than sloppy Mauser actions.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • wheelguner
    Warrior
    • Oct 2011

"since these rifles were some of the last of the golden age of rifle craftsmanship, designed by highly intelligent men, hand-fitted, with superbly articulating parts that are in a different realm than sloppy Mauser actions."

I agree with most of what you said and will pay homage to how well you said it for similar thoughts occured to me the first time I handled a Swiss K31. I marveled as I worked that straight pull action and watched it work and new I had to have one. It took me three months to add one to my collection.

I agree with "sloppy Mauser actins to a point. I consider my Gustav made Swedish Mauser to be the finest Mauser style rifle made. I hope you find a nice Steyr soon.

Comment

• wheelguner
      Warrior
      • Oct 2011

You tickled my curiosity since I was totally unfamiliar with this rifle and a little time with Google led me to this:

The title seemed strange until I read it. It gives a pretty good history of it. I hope it helps...... it's a good read anyway.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

I saw the Chuck Hawks article as well. It would have made much more sense to compare it with a 6.5 Grendel, since the ballistics are almost identical if you check any reloading data for the 6.5x54 M-S.

The thing that intrigues me the most is the internal rotary magazine, which requires a high degree of technical skill in design, as well as manufacture.

I agree with "sloppy Mauser actins to a point. I consider my Gustav made Swedish Mauser to be the finest Mauser style rifle made. I hope you find a nice Steyr soon.
        Roger that. Anything made in Austria, Switzerland, commercial German market, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, and Norway is going to be in a different realm of quality, fit, feel, and finish.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• adamjp
          Warrior
          • Oct 2014

The 6.5x54 MS is a classic. Brass from Norma and Privi, and FWIW Woodleigh bullets here in Australia started producing a RN bullet that is exactly the same profile as the old classic bullet. The 160gn RNSN is designed to work at 6.5 MS velocities and will kill extremely effectively.

Your friends rifle is almost certainly a Greek contract rifle. Several of them have made their way here to Australia where they are considered perfect for building exquisite custom rifles from. Whilst many were converted to different cartridges, there is an increasing trend to re-do them as a 6.5 MS as it is a truly effective cartridge at normal hunting ranges when loaded with the right bullet - enter stage left the new Woodleigh RNSN.

Mounting a scope is a PITA as that split rear bridge really hurts. I think that Recknagel (US distributor is New England Custom Gun - NECG) still make a base system for them.
          Last edited by adamjp; 10-15-2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X