• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

THIS Is the Dedicated 65G Bullet I Want, Part 2

The original thread is now 30 pages of GOOD discussion but is now long enough. Let's continue it here.

As a teaser, here's a little photo of a H2LX (High BC, High velocity, Low eXpansion threshold) prototype (on left, next to earlier prototype) that is fresh from Sneaky's Magic Machine.

Reaming out the nose cavity or shortening the bearing surface a bit should give us 98 grains of metal waiting for a pointy 2-grain Delrin tip.

I'm wanting a G1 BC of more than 0.400 and a minimum 1.5x expansion floor at about 1500 fps with a maximum 2x expansion diameter at all velocities.
    Attached Files
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Nice, Sneaky did good. That looks like a devastating little bullet. Now all we need is some gel testing. LOOKS GOOD!

Comment

• Bigfoot
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2014

Length at this point?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

There are a few different concepts and many prototypes floating around but my design for a 100gr calls for a total bullet length of 32.8mm or 1.29".
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
          The original thread is now 30 pages of GOOD discussion but is now long enough. Let's continue it here.

As a teaser, here's a little photo of a H2LX (High BC, High velocity, Low eXpansion threshold) prototype (on left, next to earlier prototype) that is fresh from Sneaky's Magic Machine.

Reaming out the nose cavity or shortening the bearing surface a bit should give us 98 grains of metal waiting for a pointy 2-grain Delrin tip.

I'm wanting a G1 BC of more than 0.400 and a minimum 1.5x expansion floor at about 1500 fps with a maximum 2x expansion diameter at all velocities.
          Amen. It's looking pretty good so far.

I also think a copper alloy that is ductile (like Barnes uses) would be preferable to some of the brass bullets. I normally like fragmentation, but considering how these bullets work, I think they'd be better served to stick together and take their expanded mass right out the other side. Ala Barnes "X" style.

ETA: The reason I'd prefer a copper 4-leaf clover is that it will make a better exit wound than a smaller brass base that has shed it's petals earlier in the wound track.

I also somewhat doubt that the fracturing petals of the brass bullets will have enough mass to account for much besides looking neat laying on a table. I could be wrong though. I'm just thinking that since exsanguination is the name of the game, an intact "x"-style bullet with 1.5 to 2x expansion would do better across the totality of the wound track.

Plus the hunters wouldn't have to pick frags out of their teeth while eating their game.
          Last edited by Variable; 10-16-2014, 07:38 AM.
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

I'm not "feelin' " brass at all, for the reasons you mentioned. Even with Lehigh, I'd ask for copper or copper/zinc, and I lean toward C/Z because I think I understand that it is less "sticky" in the bore and allows less pressure and faster velocities. Could be wrong on my technical understanding of the issue, though.

Comment

• Grendel84
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2014

This project looks great, I hope the manufacturers take it up when it's presented to them

Comment

• Bigfoot
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2014

I'd like to discuss interior skiving. The TTSX opens into four petals, most GSX into six. The 110 TTSX nose shows the skiving.

The TTSX skiving appears to go all the way to the bottom of the cavity, as do most GMX's. However the new 100 gr 6.8 skiving doesn't which is IMO why it opens like a doughnut at close range.

To me the exposed petals are important. Instead of a dull mushroom shape pushing it's way through organs or a large faced meplat (like a hardcast bullet) pushing material away like a pressure bow wave, the petals act like the blades in a blender (deer organ soup). The higher velocity and/or faster twist obviously help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQx2eHpDVnE Can't get to play here but it's a ttx spinning through gel.

Also here's a quote from http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...se/6.5x55.html about the 6.5mm 120 TSX

"Every once in a while, during the course of testing for this knowledge base, a cartridge and bullet combination come together in such a way as to produce unique results. This is certainly the case with the Swede and 120 grain Barnes TSX/XCL bullets. These 120 grain bullets have a long bearing surface, ideal for the fast twist rate of the Swede, producing optimum accuracy. The fast twist rate and fairly high muzzle velocity of the Swede combined with the blender blade style Barnes produce a result that, to be blunt, is best described as vicious."

With the 65Gs 8 twist and the expected velocity around 2700 I feel that full length interior skiving and the resulting exposed petals would help terminal performance.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Could be that the 6.8 100 GMX in the photo was just a prototype? Don't know why Hornady would change their standard procedure for one product?

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                    Could be that the 6.8 100 GMX in the photo was just a prototype?
                    It's possible. The 100gr GMX in the photo has a flat base, but the drawing on Hornady's site shows a boat tail. Plus, it might explain why the 100gr GMX's used in the test were reportedly sold as blems.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

L 52 asked me last nite- maybe Hornady saw your work? That lead to the 100 Gmx in 6.8mm. Good I said- maybe,,,, Do you guys think that I don't tweak a many items- send in a few? on Diff. cal's?

Never done any work on 6.8= .277 pills tho...

Never really studied the 6.8 round They kill hogs- deer about the same -to 175 yds. ,, yet the potential is there for a short range round- like My 7.62 X 40 WT . The Wilson boys described it best-- They also load , etc.,, for the .300BLK= shorty 40's lil bro-nothing wrong with it- meant more for ultra close in work- & suppressed .

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I think the pic is from a known picture- might be - mine? Who knows- someone could check- compare to my foto albums, if worried of it.
                        I'm not, The more bullets on the market, the betta!

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

024.jpg

Here;s the BULLET That Hanka Desired- - an actual pill made last nite - to his specs. Pointy - skin scratchingly sharp= .5mm too long on purpose!

Its's on the right- the middle unit is from last week,- my attempt via the phone. I just got off of phone with Hanka, he's enroute from kidz school stuff.

We agreed to talk- disagree on wts. We are waiting upon RickO shays return- for some gel test proof of which Gmx wts., are best for the Grr, for hunts, as a start.

Sorry, we are all semi nerds here...and busy guys.
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 10-17-2014, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                            L 52 asked me last nite- maybe Hornady saw your work? That lead to the 100 Gmx in 6.8mm.

Never done any work on 6.8= .277 pills tho...
                            Which would seem to rule out your work as being the impetus for the 6.8 GMX.

Plus, Harrison said that he started pushing the idea of a 100gr 6.8 GMX to Hornady almost three years ago.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Exactly.

I've been busy here- way too busy it seems.
                              I feel a 105 in the future.. maybe my sixth sense is off a tic?.. usually close-- yet we have so much more to present,,, waiting on rickOshays return from classes, Hanka is asking also, for gel testing proof---- I'm stuck in the middle here- we have a lighter Tac version to show... damn timing is off!

Hold tite.
                              Last edited by sneaky one; 10-17-2014, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X