X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

I'm not doing any of the Grunt work, so I don't expect to be making these decisions. That being said, I really wish y'all would focus on the barnes projectiles. I'd much rather see this projectile be of copper composition.

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Put me down for a 85-90 gr based on the experience of Barnes excellent 85 gr TTSX in everything from the 250 Savage to the 257 Weatherby.

A 90 gr 6.5mm would have the same SD, but a much better BC.

Heck the 6.8 guys have not one but two 85 gr monos.

In .257 and 6.5mm 100 grain C&C bullets are standard fare. No need, heck even a detriment going that heavy in a mono. If a 100 TTSX can kill a cow elk (hope you're lurking Longdayjake) then we can, IMO should go lighter for faster killing on the game we're mostly after. BTW if I'm going after elk I'm shooting the 120 TTSX anyway.

Speed kills, and makes a flatter trajectory.
    I think we can go a bit longer than the 100gr TTSX and still have plenty room for powder. Even if we get a tip like the 300 BO, it won't need to be nearly as long for a .264 projectile as already stated by stanc.

If we give it a more secant o give and make it a little longer than the 100gr TTSX, I'm hoping that it'll give it enough bearing surface to make it a good candidate for CFE 223. I like 8208 for it's temperature stability and it's accuracy, but the velocity is limited. With CFE 223 we can likely get 100+ fps over the XBR.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

001.jpgThis covers Hanka's thoughts, Cory, & Bigfoots (BF) idea, in one pic. And, what 3 of us on here have been doing, going lite, and heavy.

Stock 120 Gmx on left.

The Dream -100.

A 92.5 with a shorter tip.

A 78 Gmx-I hit 3046 fps. with these=20" bbl.,, a 74 grn., hit 3204, no pressure signs at all.

And on the rt., A 90 grn. TTSX, cut from a 120-also it's a Very fast & easy to make pill.
      Last edited by sneaky one; 10-18-2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Bigfoot
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2014

I like the 92.5s (or even lighter) weight but with the 100s tip. I wonder what the BC difference is between the two tips.

IMO shorten the shank, keep the vld bt and long nose.

What velocities did you reach with the 90 gr TTSX?

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Never shot the TTSX's, in 90 class , well , since 2007 .. So many trials, so little time.

The lighter class of Gmx is what my esteemed class of colleagues, was supposed to post up most recentely. Nothing, again....

Too nerdy? Wait till it popps up , I guess , some of us are too busy, we can't control when we can post these items. Hang on ,,, again,,,,

Comment

• Bigfoot
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2014

I was hoping to find out how fast a 90 gr GMX would be. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Comment

• Ullr
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2014

So ... Nosler has this new 120gr mono copper "E-tip" in 6.5. Claimed BC of ~.500. Expansion to 1800 fps.

What do you all make of that?

What might a few of you make from that?

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Ullr View Post
                So ... Nosler has this new 120gr mono copper "E-tip" in 6.5. Claimed BC of ~.500. Expansion to 1800 fps.

What do you all make of that?

What might a few of you make from that?
                See http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post99756

Comment

• rickOshay
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                  I was hoping to find out how fast a 90 gr GMX would be. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
                  I did some initial tests with AA2520 and got around 3050 fps from a 24" barrel. Should be able to optimize this with other powders. Goal would be to get 3000 fps from an 18" barrel.

Comment

• Bigfoot
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2014

Thanks. Very nice.

Was this a long tipped/tail bullet or a standard GMX tip. Trying to estimate powder capacity here.

A picture is worth more words than I know..

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

Guys, any educated guesses on 16" velocity for 90 and 95 grains? Anybody with data from, say, the 90 TNT or 95 V-Max?

Some Hodgdon online reloading data I dug up, and these are all from a 24" barrel at or below 50,200 psi:

85 Sierra HP H335 = 2956
                      90 Speer TNT H335 = 2912
                      95 Hornady V-Max H335 = 2841
                      100 Nosler BT H335 = 2744

Western has even better data from a 20" at roughly 51,750 psi:

85 Sierra HP A2520 = 2996
                      95 Hornady V-Max A2520 = 2858
                      100 Nosler BT A2520 = 2767

And the (missing) elephant in the room is data from Alliant using Reloder 7, which Sneaky is convinced is the Magic Pixie Dust . . .
                      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• K280
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2014

My 90 TNT load with H335 is below max out of a 20". I am using PPU brass so I didn't push it. Could probably easily get over 3000 with better brass and some time with the chrono.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Keith, pump some numbers up. You have the Yardage pics man!
                          1000 yds can seal the deal. It's a good spot to find, the pills that I sent. Those 80 grn. GMX,;s are a brat.

Try at 300 yds., that's the max. design idea.
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 10-21-2014, 03:32 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Hanka & I chatted this aftnoon, he asked of my speed points. on the 90-95 class,, I always hit 2840-2880on the 95's -Gmx's & TTSX's- ... The 90 class hits 2900 , plus- on either pill..

I used these wts. for deer hunts, since 2010. All is well , this year I will use a 78 grn. Gmx , to try to harvest a deer @ between 100-400 yds. Open field shooting.

Comment

• K280
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2014

I will get on it. Where I deer hunt the shot could be 10-450 yards. What would you guess the B.C. on the pills that you sent me? I will have to be very effecient on load development so I will have a few to kill something with.

Comment

• sneaky one
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Ooops, I forgot to send the extra data on loading these with RL 7. I'll text you the data.

It should be above 3000 fps, in our 20" tubes.
                                Not sure on BC's- lil pill rocks the hood- hard to measure this lil giant guess at 300 BC===? I never worry inside of 200 yds. Many here talk of BC's- yet a few don't even hunt with them,,,,,,, BBBBrush is a bastard child to be dealt with--- more than ones Dream of Taking Deer At 500 yds., non ethical , BTW.

B C's are out there as to a Find,, for Ones' own self- needs- on these hunt pill ideas. Busy as always, here.

Comment

Working...
                                X