• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigfoot
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Understood.

Just sayin a 1.4" bullet eats up a lot of powder space.

D

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Agreed. It should be as short as possible, given the performance requirements. My H2LX has a 0.740" nose, 0.350 shank, and a 0.200 boat tail for a total of 1.29". Substitute a truncated boattail of 0.100 and it totals 1.19". If the shank, or bearing surface, can be shortened without degrading stability, length could be shaved there, as well.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Bigfoot
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2014

Ah. I got the Berger 130s 1.4" length from JBM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

I think because I'm modeling my bullet nose after the Berger hybrid VLD and I used it as an example in my concept sheet is where you're getting that from. But, yeah, it's not an exact copy. And I thought the Berger 130 Hunting VLD had different dimensions (shorter bearing surface), than the target VLD, but I could be wrong?
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
            I think because I'm modeling my bullet nose after the Berger hybrid VLD and I used it as an example in my concept sheet is where you're getting that from. But, yeah, it's not an exact copy. And I thought the Berger 130 Hunting VLD had different dimensions (shorter bearing surface), than the target VLD, but I could be wrong?
            VLDs are VLDs when it comes to Berger, I use hunting and target 7mm VLDs interchangeably for F class and was told by Berger that the only difference is jacket thickness. No difference in POI at 1000 yards in my rifle.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

BF , it's a pain to dial in an - anything here ! You have some clues, yet are lost in the forest dude!

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Lets keep upon this, Good thoughts are more than welcomed. I have at least a 40 pack of ideas , here to be noticed. Crank it forward dudes,

Comment

• Bigfoot
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                  BF , it's a pain to dial in an - anything here ! You have some clues, yet are lost in the forest dude!
                  I see.

Well, I'll just drop out for a while then, come back in a few years after I rebarrel that short/lite rifle to 65G and see what you're still working on.

Droping out here.

Clueless Bigfoot. We never get lost in the woods though.
                  Last edited by Bigfoot; 10-29-2014, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

calm down, you know what I meant dude,, you are too sensitive! HA HA! Bigfoots comin! Gonna gets Ya! Bigfoots On The Prowl!!!! 1974 song stuff.. hee!

I'm checkin your 123 idea now...... hmmmmmm this will be our secret till- after Thanksgiving-- Swamped thru work schedules till then,.

Comment

• rickOshay
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2012

Gel Results - Part 2

First off - my apologies to all (especially Sneaky) for taking so long to get more gel results. Life so often gets in the way.

Here are some interesting results for the latest batch of monoliths:

Left to Right:
                      95 gr GS Custom at 1891 fps
                      95 gr E-tip (Sneaky cut down) at 1974 fps
                      100 gr TTSX at 1894 fps
                      105 gr LRX (Sneaky cut down) at 1885 fps
                      90 gr GMX (Sneaky cut down) at 2930 fps

So now we know that the GS Custom needs at least 1800 fps to open. We were hoping that number would be lower. But still better than the TTSX.

The E-tip opens up nicely well below 2000 fps, so better than expected. Need to explore lower speeds to get the minimum.

The TTSX was shot as a control and closely duplicates the results obtained a year ago for Volume 2 of the Reloading Handbook.

The LRX was also a repeat and shows opening at much lower speed than the TTSX.

And the 90 gr GMX performed nicely at high velocity opening to .48 caliber.
                      Last edited by rickOshay; 11-04-2014, 03:22 AM. Reason: 90 g GMX, not 80 g

Comment

• rickOshay
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2012

Gel Results - Part 2

And here's what happen's with the Wolf Steel Case ammo - pancakes.

It penetrated about 20" and took a curved path through the gels. It did not penetrate as much as the 100 gr TTSX which went about 33"

Clocked at 2525 fps at muzzle of 18" barrel.
                        Last edited by rickOshay; 11-04-2014, 03:16 AM. Reason: velocity added

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Thanks, Ros, I know that we are all busy on this project--we started this idea in --Jan.- Feb.-?? of this year. No apologies are needed. You have had the burden of the gels, after Joe & I did the other ends of the spectrums here. The best wt.'s on the mono's is the plan.

Good pics, nice end results. Now that the lowest end is established, what of the mid range---onto the high speed venues.?

Must be more in the lower speeds to follow.,, Ros has been a busy guy, BTW. Yikes!

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
                            And here's what happen's with the Wolf Steel Case ammo - pancakes.

It penetrated about 20" and took a curved path through the gels.
                            Thanks very much for this. Behavior is pretty much what I expected, except for the tip breaking off. Although I really should've expected that, too, since the same thing happened with the unsupported tip of the Sierra MatchKing I tested years ago.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

ROS, are the listed velocities impact velocities? Also, what was your protocol, distance from gel, etc.

Comment

• rickOshay
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                                ROS, are the listed velocities impact velocities? Also, what was your protocol, distance from gel, etc.
                                Velocities are measured at the muzzle with a Magnetospeed and the gels are 10' away. So impact velocity is slightly less than listed.

Two PermaGels are placed end to end - each gel is 4 x 11 x 17 inches, giving 34" of total gel. Shots are sighted using a laser mounted on the hand guard, each shot is about 2" away from previous shots. More details are given on page 42 of the Handbook, Volume 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X